PDA

View Full Version : Blues Jr III or Peavey Classic 30?

Robert
November 24th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Here we go again, with a more current poll! :)

Blues Jr III 15 watt combo - $499 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Series-Blues-Junior-III-15W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H12886

Peavey Classic 30 Tweed - $599
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481014

Katastrophe
November 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Classic 30...

Spudman
November 24th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Classic 30...

Ditto.

sunvalleylaw
November 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I voted Peavey too.

duhvoodooman
November 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM
The Classic 30 is a great value, but the 15W Blues Junior is much better suited to my needs as a home player. And there are a ton of inexpensive mod kits for the Blues Jr. available at Bill Machrone's website (http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=2) to transform a good sounding amp into a great sounding one.

P.S. Thanks for the updated poll, RR! :thumbsup

Duffy
November 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Not too long ago I received two defective Classic 30s, brand new. I liked the amps but the defects were shoddy and made the amp sound no where near as good as it could have. I probably could have moded them or had them corrected, but I went for the new Vox AC15c1 and it worked perfect right out of the box and still works perfect, no surprise defects.

Therefore, before getting a Classic 30 I would definitely check out the new version of the Fender. The Hot Rod Deluxe III sounds great to me. I've played it several times, but my special edition old style HRDX sounds just as good or better.

If you checked around and found a "good" Classic 30 you would have an awesome and very loud amp.

bigG
November 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Easily the Peavey. One of the best strait-ahead tube amps made (in the USA, too!).

Commodore 64
November 26th, 2010, 06:28 AM
30w is way too much for me. Blues Jr. Has less tubes to replace. I'm going with Blues Jr. although I love my Peavey Bandit 112 too.

oldguy
November 26th, 2010, 07:48 AM
30w is way too much for me. Blues Jr. Has less tubes to replace. I'm going with Blues Jr. although I love my Peavey Bandit 112 too.

Me too. I own a SuperChampXD and even w/ the 10" speaker, it's plenty loud for the house........plug it into a 2 or 4 x 12 cab and you could jam with it unless you had a crazy loud drummer.....mike it and you could even do that.
Add in the price difference, portability, and Fender tube reverb, I'd go w/ the little Blues Jr.

otaypanky
November 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM
My only experience with a Peavey was back in the early 90's. I had a Classic50 in both 4X10 and 2X12 versions, a Classic 30 and a 20. I started with the big ones and worked my way down through the smaller ones.
One day I had tossed my sweatshirt over the top of a 20 or 30, I forget which. I went to grab my sweatshirt and go and as I did the sleeve caught on a number of the tubes and they shattered. Boo, not a good design to have them so exposed and vulnerable !!! I just now went to the Peavey site to see if that has changed but they don't show the back ~
The NOS Blues Jr I had was a great little amp. I'd like to hear their new improved model III

markb
November 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
The Peaveys have a cage over the valves these days. That really open back was a stupid design. On the whole, I'd take the C30. I've used both.

Algonquin
November 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I just now went to the Peavey site to see if that has changed but they don't show the back ~
The NOS Blues Jr I had was a great little amp. I'd like to hear their new improved model III
PV30's now have a grill on the newer models to protect the tubes .