PDA

View Full Version : Going passive for one guitar...maybe

deeaa
November 25th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Well,

My good friend and band buddy Rockermann here posted an ACDC sound test (on our private band forum), and it sounded so much like AC/CD I had to check the same preset out on my machine, as we both use Amplitube 2.

Now, I love my EMG's but when I tried the same patch it sounded markedly different. I usually get quite killer sounds IMO with my EMGs but in this case I got to thinking - hell - I have half a dozen guitars ALL with EMG's...maybe I _should_ have one guitar with passives, just for the purpose of getting a slightly different sound on recording now and then.

So...the one guitar that is 'different' from the rest is my Flying-V...it is a strange bird, already sounds different as my other axes, so I don't use it much with the band...maybe because it has 81/89 instead of 85 bridge on all others... So I just posted an ad to a local sales/swap site that I'd be willing to swap the entire pickup/pots/jack setup to that of a gibson one or equivalent.

I dunno if it makes sense...or maybe it makes a LOT of sense. What's the use of having ALL the guitars with same/similar pickups?

I don't know why I'm posting this really...I guess, maybe to possibly get some confirmation I'm not being stupid if I do the swap...

Ch0jin
November 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Well If I was you, I'd do the same thing. I don't see a point to having all your guitars sounding the same (professional redundancy aside).

I have but three guitars and none of them sound remotely similar. What I love about that is that some days I feel like playing one, and sometimes I feel like playing the other.

The only issue is when I start thinking "I already have two HB guitars, but I wonder what this P90 guitar would sound like with 'buckers or TV Jones" and so on.

I reckon you made a smart move. You might find you hate the new PU's but at least you KNOW for yourself what they sounded like and that itch is scratched.

Tig
November 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM
If someone offers to trade you some Seymour Duncan SH-6 (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh6_duncan_dist/) humbuckers, snap them up! The bridge roars with heavenly rock tones from old school heavy metal to punk and thrash. I'm keeping a set for the right guitar.

Katastrophe
November 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Smart move, Dee!

I loves me some EMGz... I think they sound awesome in whatever you put 'em in... I'd love to have a set in a LP Custom one day.

BUT, I think that passives have a more noticeable variety of tone available... Of course, there are more models available from different OEM and aftermarket manufacturers, using different magnets, wire, number of winds and so on.

I am, have been, and will continue to be a fan of Duncan pickups. Even the "cheapo" Duncan Designed import pups sound great to my ears.

I don't think you'll regret having a set of passives in your Flying-V.

bcdon
November 25th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I agree. You should replace your EMGs, with Seymour Duncan Blackouts! :) :dude Sure, they are active as well, but give them a try, you might be surprised and like 'em.

34wJt3pRY0w

deeaa
November 25th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Mm, yeah, I think I've gone a bit overboard with my homogenizing of all guitars :-) thanks for the support!

I think what I'd most prefer to swap to are regular Gibsons...I'd prefer to have the most accurate 'vintage' recognizable tone that I can get. But certainly won't sneer at Seymours etc. either...and I'd like to try out Blackouts as well.

deeaa
November 26th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Well I dunno..I just lowered the guitar volume a little and this is how it sounds with Amplitube 2 patches crunch 1 for malcom and 2 for Angus...prettt authentic IMO:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/clips/shotdown.mp3

Katastrophe
November 26th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Nice! Sounds pretty darn good to me.

Rockermann
November 26th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Yup... As I said elsewhere, that tone test sounds damn good to me, Dee.

Here's the one I did using Amplitube2 and my Xaviere XV-500 LP copy:

http://project-43.com/ftp/covers/Shot%20Down%20in%20Flames/GS-SM-ToneTest.mp3

I'm continuously amazed at the job Amplitube does. Great tool for sure.