PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions.....

Jx2
November 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM
You guys might recall recently I was asking about the Vox Valvetronix as a potential x-mas present. Well, since that post Ive been checking out reviews, demo's and other information on diffrent amps in my price range.

In all likely hood, my girlfriend will order this amp later this week. Now Im not sure which direction I want to go. So I figured, once again Id hit you guys up and see what kind of suggestions I get. Again I'll check out anything not listed that someone might suggest. However, please keep in mind that we are 99.9% positive that this amp will come from American Musical Supply. Because we can use that 3 installment payment plan which will leave us a litte extra money in pocket to get a few extra items for my son.

Here is a list of the front runners in order of how Im leaning.

1. Jet City JCA2112RC
2. Fender Super Champ XD
2. Vox Lil Night Train combo
3. Vox Valvetronix VT40 plus
4. Blackheart BH5H Little Giant Half Stack

My current amp is a Fender Champion 600, once I got it my Randall 100w half stack just started collecting dust. I mention this because Im not worried as much about watts as I am about overall tone. Im not sure on the Blackheart because its really about $50 more than I think she should spend.

oldguy
November 26th, 2010, 08:11 AM
If it were me, it would come down to whether modelling or straight ahead tube sounds was what I wanted. I'd sure want to play those amphs to see how they sounded before spending my hard earned money, esp. on the installment plan. The models in the Fender or Vox would give the most versatile sounds, but also the most chance for a problem, circuit-wise.

That said, the Vox VT is a great choice, but I bought the Super Champ XD because I heard a great Fender vibe going on, the models are straightforward and easy to access, no programming, and the footswitch gives you the option of rhythm/lead voices w/ a stomp of your foot.
Later I bought a Jet City 20w head (not the combo) because it's such a great little no frills rock monster. Pretty much one sound, but what a sound!
But again, you should try and play the amphs in person. I haven't tried the Lil Night Train, but the clips sound really good.
No experience w/ the BH either.......so I guess I wasn't really much help at all???......
Anyway, best of luck on the amph hunt, hope you find the right one, and enjoy it when it arrives!