PDA

View Full Version : Music Business

Spudman
October 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Because of recent exchanges on some of the other threads I was hit with a blinding bolt of inspiration. We don't have a thread or forum for the business of music. Go figure.

My idea is for us to discuss all things likes - dislikes (not just rants), methods of getting gigs, better pay, recording offers, securing representation (agent) and any other ways that enable us to be heard, play more often and make our professional (making $) playing lives more enjoyable all related to that business of music.

Whadda ya think?

Plank_Spanker
October 24th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I'm in! :D

But I'll have to say that playing in a weekend warrior bar band is exactly where I want to be these days................I have no aspirations of "making it".

Spudman
October 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I'm in! :D

But I'll have to say that playing in a weekend warrior bar band is exactly where I want to be these days................I have no aspirations of "making it".

Excellent! Somebody with experience getting gigs, promotion etc. Just what we need.
Besides, you already made it. You're working right?;)

jpfeifer
October 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Hi Spudman,

I think that this is a great idea.
I also think that musicians often overlook some of the easier money making opportunities because of their definition of "making it". There are a lot of opportunities to make some extra $ playing music but musicians often turn down these opportunities because they aren't as glamorous as playing in front of large crowds of people. But if all you want to do is make some extra $ to pay for those G.A.S. attacks (or to help fund future ones) then there are more opportunities than you might think.

Here are some ideas:
- Teach guitar lessons (you don't have to be a music theory expert to teach basic guitar. People will pay good money for someone who is patient and helps them learn)

- Play wedding ceremonies (for 2 hours you expect to make about $100-$150 per person. Find a good singer and learn some wedding material and you're on your way )

- Play in churches (there is a big demand for musicians to play for worship services. A lot of churches pay their core musicians so that they show up every week.)

- Form a band with friends and look for local gigs

- Do music seminars for schools, etc. teaching kids about music. (one of my friends did an educational seminar about percussion. He was hired by the local school system to go around and do this seminar regulary and it paid pretty well)

The sad truth is that you can actually make more money in these kinds of low-exposure gigs (above) than a lot of the guys make doing the showcase clubs, where they might even be expected to pay money to play at, just for the exposure.

Case in point, one of my friends had a great Rockabilly band in the 80's. Looking for thier big break, they were offered a chance to be the warm-up act for Billy Idol (who was one of the hottest acts during that time). They played for thousands of people every night for several months. They met lots of famous musicians, and were paid $400 per gig for the whole band. It barely paid for their hotel and travel costs.

They would have made more money playing the local bars in their home town, but it was a chance of a lifetime for them. But these kinds of stories are more common than you think.

-- Jim

Spudman
October 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I didn't know that churches paid. That is good to know. Captive audience too.:)

jpfeifer
October 24th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Hi Spudman,

Some churches pay, and some don't. A lot of times, if you start as a volunteer and they can depend on you they will begin asking you to do more services and pay you for it. That's usually how I've seen it work. But other times they will offer to give you a stipend to play at the same service every week if it's hard for them to get enough volunteers.

-- Jim

Plank_Spanker
October 25th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Excellent! Somebody with experience getting gigs, promotion etc. Just what we need.
Besides, you already made it. You're working right?;)

Yeah, we're working. We usually stay very busy during the summer, and we slow down to regroup a bit in the winter. The bar business is getting tough around here between the smoking ban and some very tough law enforcement on the roads. People just aren't hitting bars like they used to, and a lot of bars are thinking twice about hiring bands.

As for getting bookings, we do our own legwork. We bring a demo CD and business cards in when we talk to a bar owner. We have a one time introductory price, negotiable after the gig if the bar wants to continue booking us. We bring in flyers to post at the bar and around the area. We conduct it as a business. We shoot for two to three gigs a month.

I've played in past bands that worked with management companies, and that's left a bad taste in my mouth for them. With some, we felt like indentured servants, with no choice of "where" or "when". It took the fun right out of it. It was also no fun watching 25 percent of the nut come right off the top. Unfortunately, if you're serious about making a living in the craft, you need representation.

While we have a "pro" outlook on the way we do do business, in reality we're just serious hobbyists. We do it for the sheer fun of getting out and playing music. We show up on time and ready to play. We don't fool around setting up or loading out. We don't get hammered and sloppy.

A band is only as good as it's last gig........................:D

Spudman
October 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM
So Planker,
When you approach a new potential place to play how do you present exactly? Do you just walk in out of the blue? Do you bring all the promo materials with you at that time or do you offer to send a package later? Do you talk price at the first encounter?

Plank_Spanker
October 25th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I basically walk in out of the blue. I have the promo stuff ready, but I try very hard not to be pushy. I ask if they're booking bands and, if so, what sort of music they're looking for. I intruduce the band and ask if he'd like to take a listen to our demo and consider booking us. I'll mention other bars that we've played, and what upcoming gigs we have.

I don't usually talk price at the first meeting. I usually just ask them to listen to the demo, and come out to see us at another gig if they feel like it. If they want to book us, then we'll talk the price.

I take a low key, low pressure tack when approaching a new bar. Bar owners are a notoriously twitchy bunch.

Spudman
October 25th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Bar owners are a notoriously twitchy bunch.

Duh!:D That is always the problem getting gigs because they are a tad on the how shall we say, flakey side.

Great info. Thanks.

On the demo how many songs do you do and are they full songs? Do you use a fade in/out mix? How long are the demo songs?

Plank_Spanker
October 25th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Our current demo is old, and it's 6 full songs. We really need to record another, and we'd like to fade mix about 15 tunes or so when we record it