PDA

View Full Version : Yet another free movies service

deeaa
November 26th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Signed up today for yet another Internet-movie provider, Voddler.

Looks like a good system. Over 3000 films availabe, all genres, and a lot of it free with commercials. Overall joining was free, and no charges other than some films cost 3-4 dollars to 'rent' but then no ads.

Another coffin nail to physical DVD/bluray media...

progrmr
November 26th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Hey now I am getting a blu ray player for Christmas! Don't declare it dead already!

Seriously though I love Netflix - $9.99 a month, unlimited streaming and 1 DVD at home at a time. Stream right through my XBOX and the quality is very good. I have seriously considered dropping my cable package, but I still watch some shows on TV so haven't gone that route just yet.

oldguy
November 26th, 2010, 07:35 AM
progrmr,
That's our setup also, w/ the exception of the X-Box..........we just got a PS-3........but otherwise the same. As you say, works great, Netflix is definitely a great deal for the $$$. We never had to go see (or rent) the latest releases, though. I find myself saving old concerts and westerns/mystery/comedy movies and watching them at my leisure, like this weekend (4 day weekend!). And Mrs. oldguy likes Hulu for the TV shows she's missed, although she hardly ever watches much TV. But it's there if she has time to catch up on a mystery or thriller.
We keep our cable for local news mostly........very few shows worth watching on television these days, just a few.

Kazz
November 26th, 2010, 08:06 AM
We have just recently made the leap to Blu-Ray.....it is well worth it...the picture quality is amazing. We have the 19.99 Netflix account with 3 movies out at once and unlimited streaming.....really the only way to go.

deeaa
November 26th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm just anxious to get more Bluray quality stuff to netflix. I've watched half a dozen but me wants more. Most of these services don't provide full HD stuff, or if they do, it's very limited.

But, I give it a few years...Google is already mounting its cloud service where people could save their music collection and access it anywhere. Much like all my TV timeshift recordings are already stored on the Internet instead of my home physically.

I already listen to internet radio on my cell phone too, so it'd work fine to have google host all my music too and access it via my phone for instance. That way I wouldn't have to carry an iPod around with me.

Some new phones already show full HD stuff and have HDMI outputs - I just saw the latest Nokia that does that; you can just stream full bluray quality movies, 5.1 sounds and all directly off the net to your bigscreen! And all you need is the phone for that. I can't help but wonder what shall we see in just a few more years.

The government just announced that by 2015 everyone should have a minimum of 100 megabyte Internet access. Currently only city centres have access to such fast Internet. That should be enough to run at least 5-6 full HD AV streams simultaneously without a hitch.

bigoldron
November 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM
We're doing the Netflix $9.99 deal too and love it! We play it through a Wii to our tv and my 13 year old daughter STAYS on it on her netbook watching tv shows. DVD's are definitely becoming more limited as far as renting...

omegadot
November 27th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I don't bother with cable, myself. I use netflix and since I am in VA rather than at home, I have NHL Gamecenter for that fix. Great since it all works via my ps3.