PDA

View Full Version : My Christmas song - Magic Of Christmas

Jimi75
November 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Hi friends,

Had some time today and recorded a Xmas song. :happy
Used Line6 Gerbox, my Gibson LP (neck position).
I kept the midi programming simple and tried to sing (arrgggghh)

Please let me know what you think.
http://www.box.net/shared/lz1o85lrup

By the way, I'd love to make a video for youtube with pictures of the winter. Due to copyright reasons when copying pictures form the net, I would like to ask if some of you guys can sponsor some landscape pictures for me???

Algonquin
November 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Excellent all the way through, including the vocals! :AOK

If anything, I think you should be accenting the vocals more on your mix... they were very, very good!

jpfeifer
November 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hey great job. It sounds really nice.

--Jim

sunvalleylaw
November 27th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Very cool! Nice mellow vibe that makes me think you appreciate the season. I appreciate your sharing the song! Cheers to the Season!

helliott
November 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Great tune, Jimi. My wife has the seasonal candles burning, and decorating, while listening. Thanks for the seasonal lift.

SuperSwede
November 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Wow, I really like your Christmas song! Very smooth guitar playing :)

oldguy
November 28th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Great song, Jimi!:applause Real good vibe, nice lyrics also. Thank you for sharing it with us!:thumbsup

Jimi75
November 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Ahhh that's great getting your guy's feedback. I am happy that you all like it so far and that it caught the Christmas vibe, which was pretty difficult.

It's cool to hear that my singing didn't make you "throw up" , hehehehehe.

By the way, for those interested. I chose a typical 1-6-2-5 chord progression for the song...

:digit

deeaa
December 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Yeah very well done Jimi! I'd keep the delay on the vox to a minimum, that's pretty spacey a delay. You can sing quite excellently, and I'd go for quite an intimate sound with no delay and only a very distant, big room verb on the background only, like a 2% mix with lots and lots of low end mi,xed in the vox, so it'll sound immediate and close - that'd suit the jazzy mood better.

Superb job in any case!

Robert
December 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
That's great Jimi. I like it!

Jimi75
December 8th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback.

I will try to keep deeaa's tipps in mind for the next mixing session, which will take place as soon as I have set up my new Mac recording system...

deeaa
December 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Delay is fine too, often better than reverb, but it's best used so it can't be heard in the mix. Set the delay so that the time corresponds 1:1 with the song tempo (most software delays have the option to lock to tempo) and there's tempo charts available as to match the delay to tempo, or manually with tap delay. When the delay repeat always occurs exactly on beat, it won't be noticeable in the mix unless very strong, just sounds good and thick. Volume/FX curves are handy to kill the 'tail' after vocal parts or where ever there isn't a masking beat over it.

Another way is to set the delay to less than 50ms i.e. less than humans can detect, and low feedback, but that usually creates a hollow, barrelly sound - not always, especially with multiple mics it can instead help battle phase correlation issues. Usually supershort delays work best on instruments, especially when panning wet/dry accross the stereo.

Lev
December 8th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Well done Jimi, great Xmas vibe, cool guitar licks and a nice vocal melody. Now you just need to get it on the radio and let the royalties roll in year after year!

Jimi75
December 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Now you just need to get it on the radio and let the royalties roll in year after year!

Just like the guy (Hugh Grant) in "About A Boy".

NWBasser
December 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Very, very nice!:thumbsup

Awesome guitar playing and excellent vocals.

I really enjoyed listening to your song.

I only wish I had better computer speakers to listen to it.

Katastrophe
December 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Dude, I'm listening to this and getting a mental picture:

It's snowing (we're not in Texas), there's a fire in the fireplace, the Christmas tree's lights are on, the kids are asleep after a fun day together, and Mrs. Kat and I are hanging out on the couch watching the fire and having a nice glass of wine, just enjoying each other's company.

A blissful image, indeed.

So, you can sing great, and play everything from blues, jazz, to detuned metal. Is there anything you can't do?

Great playing and singing, man. What a great tune!

Jimi75
December 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks so much! It's great to hear that the mental pic really came together. I imagined all that stuff before my mind's eye and then wrote the song.

Dude, I'm listening to this and getting a mental picture:

It's snowing (we're not in Texas), there's a fire in the fireplace, the Christmas tree's lights are on, the kids are asleep after a fun day together, and Mrs. Kat and I are hanging out on the couch watching the fire and having a nice glass of wine, just enjoying each other's company.

A blissful image, indeed.

So, you can sing great, and play everything from blues, jazz, to detuned metal. Is there anything you can't do?

Great playing and singing, man. What a great tune!