PDA

View Full Version : Old Amps

gndboy
November 28th, 2010, 01:36 AM
How many here remember how hard it was to get hold of a decent bass amp in 1965 through 1968? They were really expensive, and often not all that good. The best I remember from that time is the Sunn 200S w/2X15 JBL D140 cabinet. It cost around $2K which was the cost of a new compact car then, actually more than a VW Beetle. The Traynor YBA-3A with 8X10 was also really good, probably better than the 200S. Ampeg had yet to do the venerable and iconic SVT; same with the landmark Acoustic 360. The Fender Bassman was not too good, and the Ampeg Portaflex was marginal at best in a gym up against a loud (they all were loud) drummer.

There were the Guild Thunderbass and the Fender Dual Showman, neither of which would thump your chest but cost upward of a kilobuck. The Thomas Organ Vox's were a joke for bass. And all the hippie guitaristas kept piling up cabinets higher and higher. Silvertone marketed a solid-state 100W 6X10 piggyback that sounded pretty good but wasn't around for long. The Kustom tuck 'n roll monsters were loud but grotesque sounding.

I do believe bass amps are a lot better and a lot less expensive since around 1995. Even since then things have improved on the low end.

This is my unrequested observation. $2K in 2010 buys a lot of bass rig, but not much of a new car.

MAXIFUNK
November 28th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I did not start playing bass until the late 70's and by then Sunn, Ampeg, Fender, Peavey, & Roland.

My 1st Bass amp was a EMC 1x15 combo I think it was 50 watts.
I then upgraded to a Peavey Centurion 100 watt SS head and 2x15 cab.
I then upgraded to a Peavey Centurion 300 watt SS head with 6 band EQ and
2 - 2x15 cabs and then eventually added 2 Electro Voice stage monitors for larger gigs.

NWBasser
November 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Yep, bass amph technology has gone stratospheric in the last decade or so.

Big, light, and cheap power, lighter and more efficient drivers (neo), and cab design have transformed bass amphs.

For $2,000 you could get a rig that will level a small village and not break your back carrying it.

otaypanky
November 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Yup, but the only thing that still sucks is there has ALWAYS been a shortage of good bassists !!!

poodlesrule
November 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Yup, but the only thing that still sucks is there has ALWAYS been a shortage of good bassists !!!

Uh oh....

MAXIFUNK
November 28th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I guess that total depends on where you reside. LOL

NWBasser
November 30th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Gndboy, it looks like you're new around here and play bass (woo hoo!) to boot.

I haven't seen an introductory posting from you for new players yet.:poke

(It wouldn't be surprising if I missed something though...)

So, if it hasn't been done already, I'll say welcome to The Fret.:beer:

Very nice to have another low-end brother around!

And the requisite, what gear do have?

Pics??