PDA

View Full Version : Body design 2

EPiK URR
November 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Hey, fellow shredders. While sketching ideas for the body design, I decided that a cool and interesting guitar theme would be Hot Rods. I mean, instead of slapping a flame job on a cut-out body, why not make a wooden base, add the hardware pots, and put some scrap metal work on, expose a little of the inner workings, and send it up to a paint buddy of mine to give it a cool finish? I'll post pics of some concepts, but give me some feedback, some constructive criticism, or additional ideas in the meantime. :dude

EPiK URR
November 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM
what im thinkin is to cut out a tele like shape and make the upper bout a part an extension of the neck pocket. That way I can attach a scrap metal engine block above the neck and still have some structure. Also below the neck will be a mock exhaust pipe going behind the lower arm and back up along the body. the electronics will be like that of a standard telecaster (since i like the pickup arrangment of the standards), save a tune-a-matic bridge and a string through body. the finished product should then look like a bonefied tele rat rod.

Katastrophe
November 28th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I like your idea! A "rat rod" Tele type would be awesome!

When thinking of hot rod designs, I keep going back to Reverend guitars. The designs are retro, but different from what was actually designed back in the day.

One idea: Look at the "fins" on a 1957 Chevy Bel Air. I think that would be a great start for an offset "V" type guitar with some chrome accents on there, for grins and giggles.

sunvalleylaw
November 29th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Sounds cool and creative! Having a tele heritage fits too since they are a bit raw anyway. Rat rod, love it!

deeaa
November 30th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I had this idea of getting me a pretty normal body, then route it completely empty really, leaving only like 1/2 inch to an inch of wood everywhere (plus the bridge area with 'flanges' keeping it in place within the body, then planing it some 10mm thinner, then painting it nice, and THEN applying clear plexan sheets on either side, making a transparent guitar. I could glue and tightly screw down the plexiglass and then maybe paint it sort of sunburst fashion so the edges would be dark but you'd see thru the guitar body. And it'd be much lighter than a full-lexan body. One could also have something inside the body there, a diorama of sorts or something wacky like an aquarium.

Ch0jin
December 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM
..... or something wacky like an aquarium.

two words.....

LAVA LAMP :)