PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my 60th Anniversary Std. Strat. WOW

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Hey all, got to pick up finally my 60th Std. Strat last night. All I can say is wow. Although I am just a newbie, I can say that it feels and plays (just strings ringing, no amp yet) better than the others I have been fiddling around with and trying in stores, etc. I also liked a Highway One strat I tried at guitar center, it was a little darker and smokier sounding for some reason, but I kept coming back to this model. In the stores, the 60th just sort of felt right. This particular one just feels right in my hands. These pics are not of my actual guitar, but it looks like the attachments to this post.

I have a cable coming at the rec of Superswede for plugging into garageband and my mac, and am closing in on my amp. Hope to have it by Christmas. The guy that sold me this guitar will sell me his Marshall AVT50 for 350, but I am still kind of leaning toward the Vox AD50VT. Anyway, just was so excited I needed to share with the group.

Cheers,

Steve

duhvoodooman
October 25th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Sweet looking axe there, Steve. If I was in the market for another Strat, it would definitely come down to the 60th Anniv. model you got and the Jimmie Vaughan model. Both look like fantastic values--a whole lot of guitar for the money. Some great values available in MIM Strats these days, for sure! And if the 60th "feels right" to you, that's the really important thing.

Plank_Spanker
October 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Congrats on the new guitar!!:D

Robert
October 25th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Sweet! I want one of those too!

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2006, 10:53 AM
The 60th anniv. strat is a great guitar! I played a lot on it when I were looking for a new guitar. Congrats!

jpfeifer
October 25th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Hey, congratulations. It looks like a great guitar.
Does it have a vintage shaped neck (V shaped profile)?

-- Jim

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Hey, congratulations. It looks like a great guitar.
Does it have a vintage shaped neck (V shaped profile)?

-- Jim

Thanks Jim. Re: the neck, it is a modern C. I think the Jimmie Vaughn model that is similar (mexican made, tex mex pu (a little hotter bridge maybe)) has the vintage V neck.

ted s
October 25th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Congrats on the new purchase, GAS is settling in, do not fight it, you can only treat the symptoms. It's great when you find one that just "fits" eh ?

Spudman
October 25th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Nice guitar.
When I was in Guitar Center last week that was the only model American Strat that I played that felt it was one of those 'just right' guitars.

Congrats.

warren0728
October 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM
beautiful guitar....congrats....gas sets in quickly around here!!

ww

duhvoodooman
October 25th, 2006, 02:43 PM
When I was in Guitar Center last week that was the only model American Strat that I played that felt it was one of those 'just right' guitars.
Spuds, there are a couple of 60th anniv. Strat models, and one of them is American, but I'm pretty sure this is the MIM model. Everything I've read about it says it's right up to the American Strat quality level, and a total steal at less than half the price. Just a great value!

The MIM's are the "blizzard pearl" silvery color and the American model only comes in 3-T sunburst.

warren0728
October 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM
there are some VERY good mim fenders out there. When i bought my mim tele i played ALOT of teles and really thought i would get an american one...but that agave blue mim tele kept calling my name and i had to get it....still one of the best playing guitars i have!!

ww

Spudman
October 25th, 2006, 02:53 PM
The MIM's are the "blizzard pearl" silvery color and the American model only comes in 3-T sunburst.

Isn't Mexico America? :p It was the Pearl finish and it was flawless. Great guitar.

Plank_Spanker
October 25th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Some of those MIM Strats are right on par with the Americans. Too bad that they get dismissed offhand a lot.

Spudman
October 25th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Some of those MIM Strats are right on par with the Americans. Too bad that they get dismissed offhand a lot.

Some is the keyword here. I tried and examined many other Mexican Strats the other day and the 60th was way above all the others for some reason.
Then again I've been playing a 2005 at the local music store that is very well done too.

I'm sure if I had access to a room full of 60th Strats I would find lemons there too...still, just set me up with the guitars and the room and I'd be happy to QC all of them.:D Whada job!

Plank_Spanker
October 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Some is the keyword here. I tried and examined many other Mexican Strats the other day and the 60th was way above all the others for some reason.
Then again I've been playing a 2005 at the local music store that is very well done too.

I'm sure if I had access to a room full of 60th Strats I would find lemons there too...still, just set me up with the guitars and the room and I'd be happy to QC all of them.:D Whada job!

I agree with "some".

QC'ing guitars for a living......could you imagine that? :D

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Spud and Spanker: (sounds like a good name for a tavern)

When I was trying out guitars at GC and a couple other stores, I felt the MIM Bizzard Pearl like I got was better than a couple of other MIMs I picked up (I am sure there are really nice ones out there) and on par with the Highway One MIA strat, just a different tone. I tried a couple of the MIM 60ths and the one at GC did not seem quite as nice as the one in the Boise store, but still better than the other MIMs. Might have just been me. The one I got is at least as good as the one at the Boise store and as Spud says, seems flawless to me. I think Ensenada is taking pride in this model.

Cranium
October 25th, 2006, 08:08 PM
What a coincidence, I was just coming to the forum to brag about my new 60th aniv. and here you are with your new one too :D, I will post some pictures of mine soon.
I never liked Fender guitars (this is my first) but this one was really nice, its played so easy and I just love the all maple neck which I really wanted on my next guitar, also it has a really big steel (I think) block, although replacing strings is somewhat wierd since they actualy have to go through the block but tuning is so much easier then on my Ibanez with the Floyd Rose, it takes like 20 minutes to get that thing in tune and then I have to adjust the bridge cause it always ends up to low or too high, this one is like 2 minutes tuning and almost no adjustments needed.

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2006, 08:15 PM
What a coincidence, I was just coming to the forum to brag about my new 60th aniv. and here you are with your new one too :D, I will post some pictures of mine soon.
I never liked Fender guitars (this is my first) but this one was really nice, its played so easy and I just love the all maple neck which I really wanted on my next guitar, also it has a really big steel (I think) block, although replacing strings is somewhat wierd since they actualy have to go through the block but tuning is so much easier then on my Ibanez with the Floyd Rose, it takes like 20 minutes to get that thing in tune and then I have to adjust the bridge cause it always ends up to low or too high, this one is like 2 minutes tuning and almost no adjustments needed.

Hey . . . Congrats on yours as well!! As I have said, I love mine. That maple neck is really nice in this finish. Less cold appearing than the Clapton type finish.

tot_Ou_tard
October 26th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Isn't Mexico America? :p It was the Pearl finish and it was flawless. Great guitar.
Yes and it's pronounced Tee-Hoss :D

Congrats to you both: Cranium & Sunvalley!

I've heard good things about the J Vaughan has anyone played one of those?
I've looked at the 60th Anniv at GC but never played one. That'll have to be remedied soon!

Yes, provided that "tavern" has a pole & disco lights in the back room.

Tone2TheBone
October 26th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Ohhh heck yes thats one of the guitars I've been manhandling lately at Guitar Center. I pick it up and play it everytime I'm there which is almost every other day. I love that color! Great guitar ST.

Cranium
October 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM
In my opionion there is only 2 things that are not great about it, the tex mex bridge pickup just doesn't sound good to me and the frets are not polished enough :D.

Tone2TheBone
October 26th, 2006, 08:47 AM
In my opionion there is only 2 things that are not great about it, the tex mex bridge pickup just doesn't sound good to me and the frets are not polished enough :D.

Crane - play that sucker they'll polish right up! :) Swap the bridge pup out for a Virtual Vintage Blues. Trust me.

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Swap the bridge pup out for a Virtual Vintage Blues. Trust me.
Or maybe a Duncan Lil '59 mini-humbucker, like Nelskie just had installed in his MIK Squier Strat. Ask him about that!

Cranium
October 26th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I was also considering the VV Blues model which I will probably get but I also thought about the HS-2.

Spudman
October 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Music and potatoes all the way baby.

They hurt a lot less than beer bottles when folks start throwing them. Plus, you can't eat bottles and a spud wouldn't chip the georgous paint on the 60th Strat.:)

Spudman
October 26th, 2006, 05:45 PM
For a pup swap on a Strat bridge position try the Dimarzio FS1. Strat but much fatter. It was called a "fat Strat' originally. Love mine and have for the last 30 years.

Cranium
October 26th, 2006, 07:46 PM
While we're talking bout replacements, I was thinking of replacing the pickguard the 60th aniv. strat, does anyone have any suggestion? I was thinking a white pearloid one maybe, I'm not sure if it will match the silverish color though.

Plank_Spanker
October 26th, 2006, 08:22 PM
While we're talking bout replacements, I was thinking of replacing the pickguard the 60th aniv. strat, does anyone have any suggestion? I was thinking a white pearloid one maybe, I'm not sure if it will match the silverish color though.

I've replaced the pickguards on two of my Strats. The choices are mind boggling. You'll be set to pull the trigger on one when you'll see another that you like more. :D

Cranium
October 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Its just that the finish on the 60th aniv. strat is a little unusual and I'm not sure which one would look best on it, also I have to consider changing the knobs and covers to match with the pickguard, Plank what would you suggest to match with the Blizzard Pearl color?

Plank_Spanker
October 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Plank what would you suggest to match with the Blizzard Pearl color?

Do you want a "traditional" look? Or do you want something a bit different?

Maple or rosewood board?

www.pickguards.com

Cranium
October 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Alot of them look cool but I have no imagination, I can't really tell if they will look good on my guitar, Plank you can go to the first page to see the pictures of the guitar and tell me what you would put on it.

Plank_Spanker
October 27th, 2006, 05:16 AM
A three ply white pearl guard would look good on that guitar. If you want something a little different, you can go for some contrast like I did with this Strat:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/DoubleFatStrat.jpg

Lot's of choices!:D

Personally, I think a white pearl guard would look killer on your guitar.

Cranium
October 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Yes I think I will try a white pearl one, btw your strat looks really nice.

Spudman
October 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM
With the maple fretboard the Gold Mirror or even the Parchment looks killer. IMHO

Plank_Spanker
October 27th, 2006, 01:42 PM
With the maple fretboard the Gold Mirror or even the Parchment looks killer. IMHO

Parchment would look sweet with a maple board.

sunvalleylaw
October 29th, 2006, 09:38 PM

I think all three would look good. The key is keeping the color tone warm to pick up the nice honey finish on the maple. The Blizzard Pearl is a warm, not cold silver, in my not always humble opinion.

BTW, was in SF over the weekend and had a chance to poke my head in the the Haight Ashbury Music Center. Chock full of strats and a lot more. The whole area is a Hendrix memorial. Didn't have a chance to browse much, but did get a nice new strap for the new axe as a souvenir. SF was lit up with haloween revellers. Some street musicians were set up in full electric band set up with amps cranked. One dude was dressed as and playing Hendrix. Reasonably decent cover. Better than your usual sax or acoustic guitar with a can out for $$$! :DR

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Steve

tremoloman
October 31st, 2006, 03:58 PM
I swear to God the neck on this model is just as good as my American Deluxe models. If I could afford one I'd get one in a millisecond!

stingx
November 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Steve, I love the color of that Strat. Very beautiful guitar. :DR

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Steve, I love the color of that Strat. Very beautiful guitar. :DR

Thanks man. I'll keep practicing so I can do it justice.:DR

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Yes I think I will try a white pearl one, btw your strat looks really nice.

Cranium: Did you ever install a new pickgaurd and/or different knobs on yours? If so, could you share a pic?

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2016, 04:29 PM
And a bump for one of my first ever posts too. Like 10 years later. I still have and love this guitar!