PDA

View Full Version : Relative finger lengths and skills (from BBC articles)

poodlesrule
December 1st, 2010, 05:20 AM
I found these interesting tidbits on the BBC website:

------------
The study of 75 seven-year-old children found those with shorter ring fingers than their index fingers did better in tests at literacy than maths.
Those with longer ring fingers were better at maths than literacy, said the British Journal of Psychology study.

The UK team said the link was caused by children's exposure to different levels of hormones in the womb.
"Testosterone has been argued to promote development of the areas of the brain which are often associated with spatial and mathematical skills.
"Oestrogen is thought to do the same in the areas of the brain which are often associated with verbal ability.
"Interestingly, these hormones are also thought have a say in the relative lengths of our index and ring fingers."
Children exposed to more testosterone tended to have longer ring fingers, while those exposed to more oestrogen had longer index fingers.

I gathered the above after reading this:

A British Journal of Cancer study found men whose index finger was longer than their ring finger were significantly less likely to develop the disease.

Researchers made the discovery after comparing the hands of 1,500 prostate cancer patients with 3,000 healthy men.

The length of the fingers is fixed before birth and is thought to relate to sex hormone levels in the womb.

Being exposed to less testosterone before birth results in a longer index finger and may protect against prostate cancer later in life, say researchers at the University of Warwick and the Institute of Cancer Research.

------------

Now, a question to fretters: do musicians typically have more "spacial" skills than "verbal" ones?

Heywood Jablomie
December 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM
One of my fingers is longer than the others, and my wife really likes it.

Eric
December 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM
Well, my ring finger is slightly longer and I consider myself to be pretty good at math, so I guess that means I got a lot of testosterone in the womb and have a good chance of getting prostate cancer, eh?

Not sure what this means relative to guitarists though. How many people here do have a longer ring finger?

Spudman
December 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM
"25% of 7 year olds with the second finger being the longest of all were 78% more inclined to become a proctologist and marry their cousin 18% of the time."

deeaa
December 2nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
Hm...

My ring finger is like 1/3" longer than my forefinger(index), but I'm notoriously bad at mathematics. Not the concepts, I find it easy to understand general principles like E=mc2 and even the ideas behind advanced maths, but I can't friggin' count anything...'numbers are just digits to me'...I'm far far better in language skills than maths.

A good example is when we had to make, what's it called, I dunno, equations to find out a diminishing something, well I just broke those backwards into divisions and sums instead of an equation, and I got the right results too...but the teacher nor me could not decipher how exactly I calculated the results, I just kept on dividing and adding somehow till I arrived at some result.

I got past high-school maths on part luck, part cheating and part mercy from the teacher...I was completely at a loss on math all the time. Which ruined my dream of becoming an architect, which is what I wanted for many years and in my teens (I did draw the blueprints for my parent's cottage buildings and garages etc. and have done the same for my own house renovations, saves a nice buck not to have to have them drawn out by an architect)...but, no way I could have gotten to study it with basically no grading in mathemathics. So languages it was...

oldguy
December 2nd, 2010, 03:57 AM
Musicians have excellent verbal skills nearly 100% of the time, which has been proven time and again by a drunk falling into a microphone stand, causing said stand to propel the microphone into the musician's face, resulting in verbal skills being flamboyantly displayed. :reallymad:

If this has happened to you, you understand.........