PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic vs. Electric practice time.

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Now that I have my electric, I am wondering how some of you divide up practice time. I am likely to continue to put most of my time into my acoustic, especially for the rest of my first year of playing regularly, (I have been playing regularly since May) and use the electric more as a "treat" or after having got it down on the acoustic. I just think my fingering, etc. will develop better that way. Any thoughts?

Tim
October 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I must admit I have fallen into playing the electric more than my acoustic. This, I know, is a bad mistake. Playing the acoustic makes playing the electric that much easier. But like everyone else I enjoy hearing the sound of the electric coming through the amp.

Hopefully you have made me stop and analyze the benefit of playing the acoustic more. Especially since I am trying to learn how to finger pick.

Plank_Spanker
October 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Playing your acoustic will:

Develop your finger strength

Develop your calluses

Keep you honest

But there's really no set rule that says you can't play as much electric as acoustic while you're cutting your teeth.

Play whatever makes it the most fun. The more fun it is, the more you'll learn.

Welcome to the wonderous world of guitar! :D

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Playing your acoustic will:

Develop your finger strength

Develop your calluses

Keep you honest

But there's really no set rule that says you can't play as much electric as acoustic while you're cutting your teeth.

Play whatever makes it the most fun. The more fun it is, the more you'll learn.

Welcome to the wonderous world of guitar! :D

Yeah, I plan to mix it up. Here it a link to one big piece of motivation for me on the acoustic side. Talk about an honest sounding guitar and song!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qp1rAB0yDeU

Spudman
October 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I'm with Planker just play and have fun. It will all come around.

Tone2TheBone
October 26th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Oh yeah............I do have an acoustic guitar don't I.....(?) :)

Like my fly fishing rods I tend to take one out and fish it (oops play it I mean) if it hasn't been played for awhile. I usually spend time on one guitar for a couple days then switch. Or if I happen to hear a song that would sound killer on a certain guitar I get that in my head and play that guitar spur of the moment. My acoustic is behind the headboard of our bed as is my Jazz Bass. This thread is a reminder that I still have those!

Tim
October 26th, 2006, 09:30 AM
My acoustic is behind the headboard of our bed as is my Jazz Bass. This thread is a reminder that I still have those!

You must play those guitars in your sleep, if they are behind the headboard. Is that simular to sleeping with your school book under your pillow when cramming for an exam?

Tone2TheBone
October 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM
You must play those guitars in your sleep, if they are behind the headboard. Is that simular to sleeping with your school book under your pillow when cramming for an exam?

The Suzuki School of Dream Guitar! :DR

f1point7
October 26th, 2006, 05:24 PM
i mostly practice on acoustics. if forces you to make your hammer-ons and pull-offs more precise/pronounced.

Neil Young rocks.

t_ross33
October 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I plan to mix it up. Here it a link to one big piece of motivation for me on the acoustic side. Talk about an honest sounding guitar and song!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qp1rAB0yDeU
Now THAT'S the shizit!! I love Neil's acoustic stuff (the Harvest album gives me chills to this day). Not only is Neil a Canuck, he's a 'Pegger just like Randy Bachman and Lenny Breau (which is really close to Saskatachawoon). Maybe some of that genius will eventually rub off :D

I'm more apt to play around with alternate tunings/drop tunings etc. with acoustic. And I'm more apt to (attempt) to write on acoustic for some reason. It just inspires me more somehow. Electric is my guilty pleasure :DR!

Trev

Cranium
October 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Put some 13's on your electric and there wont be need for acoustic ;), although playing a nylon string acoustic always seemed easy to me, easier then steel.

tot_Ou_tard
October 27th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Now THAT'S the shizit!! I love Neil's acoustic stuff (the Harvest album gives me chills to this day). Not only is Neil a Canuck, he's a 'Pegger just like Randy Bachman and Lenny Breau (which is really close to Saskatachawoon). Maybe some of that genius will eventually rub off :D

I'm more apt to play around with alternate tunings/drop tunings etc. with acoustic. And I'm more apt to (attempt) to write on acoustic for some reason. It just inspires me more somehow. Electric is my guilty pleasure :DR!

Trev
No kidding Neil iz da shizit. I don't have an acoustic yet. But I'll get one someday. I try different tunings on my electric. Mostly to (attempt) to play slide.

sunvalleylaw
October 29th, 2006, 09:51 PM
No kidding Neil iz da shizit. I don't have an acoustic yet. But I'll get one someday. I try different tunings on my electric. Mostly to (attempt) to play slide.

Yeah, I love Harvest, Harvest Moon, Prairie Wind, AND all the Crazy Horse noise. That is why I had found, and posted about, the Crazy Horse pedal by Durham Electronics. Haven't had a chance to play around on one, so let me know if someone does.

A great deal of my acoustic practice has been trying to master Neil Young songs. I am doing pretty well on Heart of Gold, and learned my first hammer on practicing the same. Have been working on Old Man, and like the version I posted even better than the Harvest album version because Neil's guitar takes the place of James Taylor playing the banjo leading into the chorus, and in my opinion, sounds way better. I can get the timing down pretty closely (without ALL of his embellishments), but developed a bad habit of starting and stopping my right hand to get the timing rather than keeping it moving and using string contact for timeing. I am also working on an easy acoustic Hey, Hey, My, My, which I will transfer to my electric as soon as I can pick up an amp. (saving my pennies, dad budget, you know) Also, Neils cover of Four Strong Winds.

I guess I need to broaden out a little. I will return to my work on Robert's site, esp. the AC/DC lesson and more blues stuff so I can work on improvisation and pentatonic stuff.

P.S. watching his vids also makes me want to save to a stripped down Martin, like a D15 or 16:D

sunvalleylaw
October 30th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Trev

Trev: Yeah, Neil is my favorite Canadian, apart maybe from Robert, but Robert is really a Scandanavian.:p

Here is a link to what Neil calls a grand old Canadian song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNf5Qj_VJf8