PDA

View Full Version : I buy good dry food for my dog but

kiteman
December 2nd, 2010, 08:44 AM
He'd rather eat the biscuits I buy from the feed store. Aren't the biscuits pretty much the same thing as the dry food?

Or there's an extra ingredient I don't know about?

Spudman
December 2nd, 2010, 08:55 AM
A lot of animals will instinctively know if they are missing nutrients in their diets. He could be trying to supplement what he's missing. Or, he's really bored eating the same dry crap day after day. They may be dogs but they still benefit from variety in their diets for many of the same reasons that we do. Science Diet for a while then some Eukanuba, then some ________ etc.

As much as I like Powerbars I don't think I could stand just eating only them every day for years and years. Sure they might keep me alive, but it would get old and eventually I'd be missing some critical micro nutrient.

kiteman
December 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
He's eating different food when I buy a small bag. Now it Gravy Train and next one is Natural Balance Sweet Potato/Venison Formula. Before he had Benefit and Science Diet so they're good stuff.

Spudman
December 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Then he's just supplementing. His body knows if it needs something he's not getting elsewhere from his diet. You could do some reading and research to see what the biscuits have in them that his food doesn't. Or you could take the easy route and just let him have some biscuits on a consistent basis. Eventually as his nutrient levels become balanced he may stop craving the biscuits. Another thing that happens is if they have some medical issue like tumors, ulcers, cancer etc. they will get cravings to try to deal with the issue. Another good reason to continue letting him have some. Animals are much more intuitive than we are on these sort of issues.

Jx2
December 2nd, 2010, 12:48 PM
The next time your buying both, compaire the ingridents of the back of the bags. My father and grandfather raised, trained and field trialed beagles for the past 15-20 years. Purina is a huge supporter in beagling(as well as other dogs). But alot of the members of his club have switch to this stuff called Sports Mix basically the same ingredients as some of the upper Purina dog foods, but its made right up the road here in Indiana.

So do be afraid to at least take a peak at some of the cheaper stuff, just compaire it to what your feeding now. One of the most respected, unknown dog food is some stuff called Black Gold. It can be hard to locate, but alot of field trail ppl love the stuff from coon hunters to beaglers to bird dogs.

The dog I have now is just a family pet. We feed him Kibbles and Bits and all the left over table scraps. So it might really only matter depending on what your dog is. Is it a pet first? A hunting campion? A field trail dog?

kiteman
December 2nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
He's a pet, a Chihuahua and Dachshund mix.

oldguy
December 2nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
We try and take the best of care of our dog. We feed him quality dog food, make sure he has his shots, wormed, walk him, dental care, regular trips to the vet, bathed and brushed when needed.
Gotta watch him, though. He still eats sh!t if 'ya don't keep an eye on him.....

Jx2
December 2nd, 2010, 08:12 PM
If its a pet I wouldnt put alot of value into him wanting those biscuts. Its not that Im saying cos its just a pet. Think of in the line of your favorite foods or snacks. For me I never turn down a good fresh cheese burger. Even if Ive already ate and dont really need it. Im sure more than anything thats what your dog is doing. And most likely in time he'll burn himself out on these biscuts and it will be a new flavor. My parents little dog ate beggin strips for close to a decade then one day he just wouldnt eat them any more.

And just for the record, I was curious because. A hunting dog can basically live on table scraps and dog food. While a field trial dog needs to be put on certain types of food depending on how much he's getting worked and the weather.

otaypanky
December 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
My German Shepherd is 5 1/2 and he's lean and trim and has a beautiful shiny coat. He's outdoors most all the time. I let him in when I'm working in my shop sometimes. He's been on Solid Gold Wolf King for some years now. Prior to that he shed quite a bit, as shepherds do, but it was just excessive. His coat has really improved from the Wolf King.
I had him on Wolf Cub as a pup but strayed away from it, instead feeding him several different 'quality' foods over a period of time. Getting him back on Solid Gold was a good thing. That's all we feed him, no table scraps. He's never been a dog who's motivated by food and treats. Offer him a biscuit and he'll likely leave it. But his bowl is always empty so I guess he likes it.
Although I've had large dogs all my life, one thing I only learned with this one when he was a pup is that large breeds should not be fed fast growth foods as pups. It takes large breeds so long to reach their full size, 2 years or more, that fast growth foods can cause severe problems as bones grow too fast for the rest of the body. Where as small breeds are typically full size in 6 months or so ~

kiteman
December 3rd, 2010, 06:03 AM
You guys know your dogs pretty well. :)

Mine's just a pampered mutt and I know who's fault it is but what can I say, I love this little guy.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6342/s5030158.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/i/s5030158.jpg/)

Jx2
December 3rd, 2010, 10:16 AM
The face of that dog looks like my parents little pup. They had to put down the one I talked about last winter. He was old and got really bad. Dad had a hard time putting him down, but when he went blind he basically had no choice, dog use to walk into walls and couldnt find its own food bowl half the time.

I ran dogs with my dad for awhile. I owned this curl tailed beagle, who's AKC name was Pistol Citys Dale's Stubby Tail. I named him after his grandpa, Field Champion M&M Run Dale Run, yep you guessed it, g-pa had a curled tail as well. I had to get rid of Stubby when I moved back into town. Havent even thought about beaglin since.

Here is pic's of our family dog now.

Here's Ike as a pup...
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/ja_miller77/PupIke.jpg

And he's roughly 1 year old now
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/ja_miller77/Ike.jpg

He's a little stupid, but he's fun. We box and wrestle alot. My son and him have a blast together. We got him last winter, while my g/f was visting her parents. Her lil sister and a friend was out walking and saw this pup get tossed over a bridge into a shallow creek with about 3 inch's of snow on the ground, her sister retrieved the pup and my g/f brought him home.

kiteman
December 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Her lil sister and a friend was out walking and saw this pup get tossed over a bridge into a shallow creek with about 3 inch's of snow on the ground, her sister retrieved the pup and my g/f brought him home.

Man, what a dick. Glad you got him, a really cute guy.

otaypanky
December 3rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
He's a cutie Kiteman
Give him an extra biscuit for me ;)

kiteman
December 3rd, 2010, 02:21 PM
He's a cutie Kiteman
Give him an extra biscuit for me ;)

:dance < my dog. He heard you. :)

Childbride
December 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
kite, imho, your dog is supplementing. we also have a beagle, jx2... and she is both a joy and a challenge. :)

kite, your pup is adorable. :)

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h424/luvmyshiner/P6150035.jpg

Jx2
December 5th, 2010, 10:36 PM
really I think a beagle may be the most over looked bread of dog. They are smart, loyal, protective, and can help put food on the table. My grandpa had one beagle that he claims he would take rabbit hunting in the morning, bird hunting in the evening and coon hunting at night. He is a retired Pastor so I beleive him, I add that cos I know it sounds like a tall tale.

Plus if you'd ever seen my dads dog Dale, and him it was amazing. I didnt start hunting till I was in my 20's. First time I asked to take the dogs out by myself Dad told me only if I took Dale. He told me when I got done, if I had trouble getting the dogs back to the truck and Dale(who was really old at this time) was done as well. Go to the truck and tell Dale to get the dogs, I tried it and sure enough about 10 minutes after I got to the truck I heard the dogs barking heading my way. I grabbed my gun and started looking for a bunny. But it was old Dale, behind the pack pushing them towards the truck. A simply amazing dog.

kiteman
December 6th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Kewl! :)

Geraint Jones
December 6th, 2010, 02:08 PM
We had a beagle when i was a kid , wouldn't let any stranger near me when i was a baby . But she was a hunting dog through and through , one time she jumped out of our moving car's window after she smelled a fox apparently we all walked for miles to get her back .
These days I 've got a 3 year old German Shepherd , I could write a book with all the problems we've had with her, thankfully most of which appear to be ironed out now. I use the costco home brand dog food , identical ingredients to stuff over twice the price {there may be a lesson there for my guitar spending habits } .A bad diet or even a high protein top of the range type food can have adverse effects on some dogs behavior .

Rockermann
December 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM
We feed our two RAW. They NEVER get tired of it. :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs802.snc4/68290_1228663092869_1717849970_439359_6851719_n.jp g