PDA

View Full Version : Another New BYOC Pedal Available Dec.3

duhvoodooman
December 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
A parametric EQ! Very cool! I've been waiting a while for this one to come out. And as a BYOC forum global moderator, guess who gets a free sample?? :thumbsup :dude :happy

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/paraeq.html

Ch0jin
December 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
A parametric EQ! Very cool! I've been waiting a while for this one to come out. And as a BYOC forum global moderator, guess who gets a free sample?? :thumbsup :dude :happy

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/paraeq.html

Wow, I'm excited and disappointed all at once.

I've been working on a prototype of a parametric EQ for a while now (taking ages to get some more esoteric dual gang pots in) thinking it'd be quite unique. I've never seen one as a kit, and don't think I've ever seen a DIY version in a stompbox.

Oh well, if mine doesn't work out I know I can always try and get one of these kits.

Pretty ambitious cramming three in one box though, thats a LOT of tone shaping for a guitar I'd have thought. (Well compared to how big mine is on a breadboard anyway)

I'm not so sure about that control layout though, just from a visual point of view it could have looked a lot more symmetrical. I realise it's a lot to cram in one box, but if I was to mod one, I'd maybe drop the 9V battery and remote mount the pots so they are all nicely spaced :)

duhvoodooman
December 3rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Feature list:

1. 3 frequency bands
2. Low range: 33Hz - 330Hz
3. Mid range: 250Hz - 2.5kHz
4. Hi range: 1.1kHz - 11kHz
5. Q (width) control for each band
6. 12dB boost/cut on each band
7. Overall level control
8. 30dB of overall boost
9. True bypass

Commodore 64
December 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
http://www.empresseffects.com/?page=paraeq

So is this like the Empress ParaEQ? Someone is offering me the Empress for my Blackheart Killer Ant.

duhvoodooman
December 15th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Yes, very similar, but the BYOC design also adds the ability to adjust the center points of the three frequency control bands, as well as their width ("Q") and the relative signal magnitude of each. Same overall 30dB boost capability as the Empress pedal.

Eric
December 15th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Yes, very similar, but the BYOC design also adds the ability to adjust the center points of the three frequency control bands, as well as their width ("Q") and the relative signal magnitude of each. Same overall 30dB boost capability as the Empress pedal.
It looks like that Empress pedal also lets you adjust the center points, and it has 3 toggles for different Q settings on each band. And gain for each band.

So...just trying to learn here, but...other than the sweepable Q, isn't it the exact same??

Commodore 64
December 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
And is there any reason a shitty bedroom player like me needs one of these pedals?

Eric
December 15th, 2010, 03:12 PM
And is there any reason a shitty bedroom player like me needs one of these pedals?
Oh, come now. You've been playing for awhile and are in a band -- you can't be that bad.

I feel like EQs are one of those things that are probably really useful, but that I suck at using effectively.

Commodore 64
December 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Well, we've still only had 1 rehearsal.

duhvoodooman
December 15th, 2010, 03:45 PM
You need a REASON to buy musical gear?? :confused: ;)

If you're not happy with your tone and find yourself fooling around with your amp and guitar tone controls a lot, than an EQ pedal might be just the ticket. There are those (like THIS GUY (http://www.amptone.com/2eqswithpowerattenuator.htm)) who think that an EQ pedal (or two!) can be among the most important elements in shaping your tone.

I have the new BYOC kit, but haven't finished it yet (they accidentally drilled all the first run of enclosures backwards, so I can't complete assembly until the replacement arrives!). But I'll post my impressions once I have a chance to check it out. I've never run a parametric EQ before, but I hear they're pretty cool.

Commodore 64
December 15th, 2010, 03:50 PM
That's so funny DVM. When the guy offered me the Parametric EQ, I googled it and found that page and read it!

edit: No wait, it was this page. (http://www.amptone.com/g228.htm)

ewrath
July 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hi - anyone get this one going? Serious para gas at the moment...

duhvoodooman
July 29th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I built this pedal back in December, but with other things going on, I just haven't taken the time to dig in and really experiment with it yet. I've never been much of an EQ guy, but this is one I really want to check out further.

What I can tell you is that, based on the feedback I've seen from some fellow forum mods who have used it extensively, they're quite impressed with the pedal. Here's a quote & a demo link from one of the guys:

"I was very excited to see Keith release the Para EQ. This is one of the MOST useful pedals in a guitarists arsenal, INMHO. It is not always necessary but when needed nothing else will do. And this one is tuned really nicely for guitar and on top of that is an extremely musical EQ.

This little demo shows how I used it to compensate for a neck pickup that I've always liked, but that has a little too much bass sometimes. The first rhythm phrase has the EQ out, the second has the EQ in then I play a little melody line with the EQ in, then the same (more or less) with the EQ out. You could imagine a recording situation where this setting for this pickup would be terrific!

The recording was done with a modded strat with GFS Retrotron pickups into the Para EQ into an M-Audio Jamlab interface into my Macbook Pro into Ableton Live. I used NI Guitar Rig 4 without any amp or cab emulation so you can hear the EQ on its own, just a little echo to give it ambience. Then I used Audacity to convert to MP3."

http://www.pantanosoftware.com/music/BYOCParaEQDemo1.mp3

ewrath
July 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks for posting_ I went ahead and ordered one... I remember using a friend's peavy amp many years ago w/ a parametric eq and a rack multi effects that had par eq (back in the days of rack stuff 1990?) and liking the effect...

I just started using a Rivera Metal Shaman pedal - i usually use amp distortion but need more gain/scoop for new band so really having to work on the sound, especially at volume with the band. I got a graphic eq coming, as well - might use one before one after....so maybe I can report on hi-gain effectiveness.