PDA

View Full Version : A rediscovery or sorts.....

Jx2
December 6th, 2010, 12:18 AM
After reacquiring my old bass rig to start up a new projects with some old friends. The 3 of us got together last night and started discussing the direction and the whole 9 yards. My buddy thats going to sing and play guitar started jamming on Kid Rock's All Summer Long. Without looking up the tab, it took me all of maybe 5 minutes to have a nice solid bass line behind him. I could of followed his lead with chords on guitar but never really expand runs or leads based off it. After that we got talking again and I started just messing around at a real low volume slapping and popping, always really admired the way Flea plays. I made the comment that Id probably want to learn to really use that technique and after a few hours watching youtube videos and some other online lessons, I was slapping and popping All Summer Long and coming up with some really catchy lines. I called both them up today and in the fashion of when we was teenagers made them listen over the phone, they both really digged what I was doing and encouraged me to continue to run with it. It wasnt anything overly flashy but for no more time then I have invested in it what you expect. Now Im scanning craigslist thinking about adding a 4-string if I can find something to trade for. Yet I dont want to trade both my guitars.

So while after I popped the 3 blisters on my right hand I thought Id see if any of you have ever found something similar. As I said with a instrument, or maybe you played the blues and realized you should be focusing more or metal or vise versa? :dude

NWBasser
December 6th, 2010, 02:37 PM
That's a very cool story that I can relate to.

I hope you can get a good four without too much sacrifice.

Unfortunately, none of our band's tunes lend themselves to slapping and popping (S&P). I like doing that once in a while and sometimes I can incorporate it into our jams.

The drummer really likes to play Freebird. I should do some S&P on the slow beginning parts of it...:dude