PDA

View Full Version : Saw Thorsten Goods and Andreas Oberg this weekend

jpfeifer
December 6th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I travel quite a bit for my job, and this past week my job took me to Berlin for a visit to our development group there.

Since I had to stay for the weekend I looked for any local Jazz clubs, since I'd heard that Berlin has a very active Jazz scene. I found this club called A-Trane that was within walking distance of my hotel. I went there on Saturday night and I lucked out because Thorsten Good and Andreas Orberg were playing together.

If you're not familiar with these guys, they are some of the best Jazz guitar players in the world right now. I was sitting right in front of Thorsten Goods, at the stage.

Both of these guys played incredibly well, basically shredding over Jazz changes. They have great bass player and drummer who were equally amazing. Amazing show!!!

6IHw5u0CYaw

--Jim

Robert
December 6th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Cool! Never heard of Torsten before, but Andreas sure got some wicked chops!

jpfeifer
December 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I really like their playing. Both of them have amazing chops. Thorsten Goods looks to be all of 15 years old, it makes me sick :-), and he sings equally well. At the concert he sang lots of the songs, and then both of them played extended solos over the changes. I was blown away.

They have a drummer that looks like he is about 18, and he has chops like the rest of them. Where do they find all these guys? Is there something in the water there in Berlin that makes people play better? :-) I used to think this about Austin, Texas also since I'd seen so many great players there too.

--Jim

Katastrophe
December 6th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Oh, my... Them boys is good!

That's a whole lot of talent, tempered by what had to be an incredible amount of practice and dedication to the instrument.

I dig it.

Jimi75
December 7th, 2010, 02:20 AM
That's great! I've posted a vid of Thorsten here long ago. Oberg is a monster, too. He played with Jimmy Bruno and Oberg has a nice online Jazz school running.

Let me know the next time you will be in Germany. When you come near Düsseldorf, we could meet for a beer or two!

jpfeifer
December 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks Jimi,

Yes, it would be great to meet for a beer if I ever make it to Dusseldorf. That would be great.

I will check out Oberg's online Jazz school. He has a really flashy style to his playing kind of like a mixture of Django Reinhard and George Benson's style. They were doing a lot of Benson style songs at the concert, and even opened their set with one of Benson's songs. I'd love try to absorb some of his stuff. He is a master for sure.

--Jim