PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Ray & Albert king on PBS East Now..

Blaze
December 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Stevie Ray & Albert king on PBS East Now

sunvalleylaw
December 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Darn, it was on over the weekend here and I missed it.

otaypanky
December 6th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I got it for $10.46 at Blowitoutahere.com

ZMAN
December 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Is that the In session DVD? IF so that was filmed at our local TV station CHCH TV in Hamilton Ontario. The guy who did that show did a bunch of similar shows with other greats at the time. I have the CD, but I have been looking for the DVD for years. I saw it once before on PBS many years ago.
It is just a wonderful capsule of these two greats. And you can finally see how much of an influence Albert was on SRV.
I just went and ordered it from Amazon.
This series was amazing. I hope more of them will be realesed. It was 1983. Dr. John and Johhny Winter, Spencer Davis, and many more. Gotta love that small town TV Station with the forthought to do an intimate close up series. Lots of interaction between the artists, more like a jam session.

Blaze
December 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM
You re right Z ..

The PBS Tv Hosts were talkin about a session at the Spectrum in Montreal 1983..I guess they we re wrong

Here is the description of the Session Youtubers ...

Two of the greatest blues guitarists join together on this special jam at CHCH Studios in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. December 6 1983.

oj6S7j5E-8I&feature=related

sunvalleylaw
December 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Cool! I will go find it. Blaze, how do you like that Tercel in your sig line? Does it go to 11??!!!:AOK

Blaze
December 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Blaze, how do you like that Tercel in your sig line? Does it go to 11??!!!:AOK

Of Course the Tercel will do 11, at 114,000 kms it s good for another 5 or more years ..

I had a 87 Tercel Station W for 13 years before ...320,000 kms..

sunvalleylaw
December 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I am sure it does to 11. Those are great cars. I was joking about the whole Spinal Tap thing.

Duffy
December 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
How do you like that DVD Otay?

otaypanky
December 8th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I haven't watched it yet as I just saw the broadcast last week ~
When I was about 13 a friend a few years older than I who also played guitar turned me on to Albert. I wore out his records. So while my friends were listening to the Monkees, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Doors and all kinds of dopey stuff I was already mesmerized by the good stuff. In fact when one of the Cream albums came out I was pretty surprised to hear Eric playing Albert's licks almost note for note on some tunes. I only saw him once live, in a little club in Greenwich Village. He barked at his band a lot and didn't seem all that nice of a guy. Some years later a great drummer friend of mine got a gig with Albert to play in England. When he got there his drums were stolen. Albert fired him, saying he wasn't any good to him without drums. How about that for a kick in the ***, stuck across the ocean with no drums and no job trying to figure out how to get home.
Still I love Albert's stuff and I thought the program was great to watch.

Jimi75
December 8th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I have the cd and the dvd. Both were played heavily. Excellent stuff, legendary.
It's pretty cool that the conversations between SRV and AK can be heard, too and not only the music.

ZMAN
December 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM
The in Session series has a whole bunch of unreleased jam sessions.
As well as the SRV A. King, Dr. John and Johnny Winter, Spencer Davis and Dave Mason, Rodney Crowell with Emylou Harris and Albert Lee as well as many more.
This little TV Station also did the quirky "Hillarious House of Frightenstien" That was broadcast for 25 years in Canada and the US.
They are still in business and have gone to the News/Movie format only now.
I first saw this King/SRV years ago and could not find the VHS tape for it. Now that it has been remastered and on a double CD/DVD for 12 bucks it is a bargoon for sure. This is the only time these two were together on stage. I already have the CD and have played the heck out of it. Can't wait for Amazon to deliver it.

Blaze
December 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Here s a link to get a Stevie Ray 53 mins. Austin City Limits Outakes special..

http://stagevu.com/video/ofdpdmaiogjv

marnold
December 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I saw the SRV/Albert King thing on PBS last night. Well, I saw bits of it until I got tired of the begathon. I've got that album on mp3s, but I wouldn't mind having the DVD. I'll have to look into that.

Pickngrin
December 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I saw part of the SRV/Albert King footage last night, while laying in bed, sore from wisdom teeth extraction. It helped :-)