PDA

View Full Version : Playing full hollow electric through acoustic amp

progrmr
December 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I picked up my Epi Joe Pass today after having a set of GFS Mean 90's installed. At the shop I test drove it and the sound was so awesome and perfect I was like "Ah, finally I found that clean glassy sound I was looking for".

Fast forward 30 minutes - I get home and plug into my Fender Mustang I amp...yea, not the same vibe. In fact not even close. I was like "WHAT?? What happened??"

So I called the shop and asked the guy what amp they had there and he said it was some solid state Fishman amp for acoustics - ~$700 on discount.

Now granted it's not fair to think that a $100 Mustang I amp is going to compete with a $700 amp. It's clear that my next purchase needs to be an amp.

Given that this example was an electric hollow body through an acoustic amp I wanted to see what the experience of other fretters is - anyone ever do this?

Maybe not necessary to go with an acoustic SS amp but maybe just a way better one than $100 Mustang amp...that will become my coffee table amp.

Heywood Jablomie
December 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
As has been said ad nauseum, the amp is the biggest part of the equation. AFAIK, acoustic amps are voiced specifically for acoustic guitars, which makes sense. My Cube 30X has an acoustic model, and I get a taste of how a true acoustic amp might sound with my dread and soundhole pickup.

BTW, with your own amp, how are you finding the Mean 90s?

progrmr
December 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
They're great pickups - not too noisy but I've only had them on clean. Well worth the money and certainly with the right amp lol!

progrmr
December 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Well my amp woes are solved - found a Roland cube 80X at the used gear store for $279. Played it and the guitar sounds grea through it. I'll have to get some samples up :)

NWBasser
December 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Well my amp woes are solved - found a Roland cube 80X at the used gear store for $279. Played it and the guitar sounds grea through it. I'll have to get some samples up :)

Congratulations Progrmr!

I'd bet that the Jazz Chorus model will match up very well with your guitar.