PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Debate... GO!

Katastrophe
December 8th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Real or fake?

Or, do you celebrate another holiday besides Christmas?

Any Festivus fans?

sunvalleylaw
December 8th, 2010, 10:31 AM
we do a very traditional thing, getting a permit, and going out to get one. But I have always lived where there is forest being managed so that folks are directed where to go where the trees need thinning. I think "pruned" trees from the lots look weird.

sunvalleylaw
December 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I'd love to attend, off on the side out of the way, a festivus though and see the "airing of the grievances". Kinda like I'd like to observe a "Burning Man" fest one day.

Tone2TheBone
December 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I think a real one is nice and smells great but only if you put it up closer to Christmas. Too early and it gets ugly real quick. I'm wanting a fake one with lights already on it though just to save time putting up 20 years of family ornaments on it!

marnold
December 8th, 2010, 10:43 AM
We've got a fake one. I can't remember the last time we had a real tree. Smell great, lots of mess.

R_of_G
December 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Fake. Less mess and no worrying about getting a new one every year and how to bring it home.

Our menorah is real though, not one of those electric ones. :)

Tone2TheBone
December 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Fake. Less mess and no worrying about getting a new one every year and how to bring it home.

Our menorah is real though, not one of those electric ones. :)

This topic can easily generate some dialog on sustainability efforts I think. :applause Which is greener...a real tree or a menorah powered by electricity. :)

Algonquin
December 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
A real tree here. Tree farms exist for this purpose, just like they grow pumpkins for Haloween. A real tree in my area gets picked up after New Years and chipped into mulch which goes into local parks for trails and such.

sumitomo
December 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Real!!! We used to get a permit and cut our own,but now buy at a lot.It creates jobs and it really costs less so that makes it a win win,so tell Obama to stay away,we don't want this messed up.LOL! Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
December 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hey, Kat! You forgot one important choice in your poll:

"My wife makes the Christmas tree decision, so it really doesn't matter what the hell I think!"

Spudman
December 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM
When I bought my house there was a very nice, barely used tree in the basement. I've been using that for over 10 years now. I can't justify the time, effort and resources to go cut one out of the forest just to throw it away in a few weeks.

Katastrophe
December 8th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hey, Kat! You forgot one important choice in your poll:

"My wife makes the Christmas tree decision, so it really doesn't matter what the hell I think!"

*gets out pencil, makes a slash on piece of paper*

Got it down! I'm surprised that my wife allows me to have a say in this particular issue. Of course, me constantly sneezing and b!tching about a real tree kinda helps my case in this instance.

Eric
December 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
This was my first year with a real tree. Previously, I had a ~3' fake tree that I'd bring out every year, and that was the extent of my Christmas decorations. I feel like even doing that was pretty good, considering I was a single guy.

I get the feeling our trees will tend to be real from this point on. I like it better, but was just too lazy in the past to make it happen.

Jx2
December 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I go fake, mostly because as a kid I had bad allergery's. Ive out grown most of them, but sitting in the house with a real tree for a few weeks might prove that 1 of them still lingers. A risk I dont want to take.

Along the lines of the wife/g/f comment. Ive been informed that my "charlie brown" white tree is being retired this year. I bought this thing for like $20 at the Dollar Store the year before my son was born. It short and holey, but its still a dang tree.

Tig
December 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
A great looking, high quality fake. You can't tell it's fake.
I had the exact same fake tree years ago, but an attic fire took it. We found the same one at a re-sale shop the next year for half the price of the first one. Never looked back.

Mrs. Tig gets serious allergies when a real tree is in the house, so there isn't a choice, not that I want one.

poodlesrule
December 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
What about the folks dragging a potted tree indoors every year?

Not that I think I would know how to do that.

I like Spud's idea of growing his tree in the basement!

How about: "No tree, fire hazard"?

duhvoodooman
December 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I had the exact same fake tree years ago, but an attic fire took it....Now, THAT sounds like it must be an interesting story!

Tig
December 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Now, THAT sounds like it must be an interesting story!

Well, pull up a chair... (not all that interesting)
'Bout 20 years ago, I was living in an apartment and had my good stuff stored in my Dad's attic. He was on the top of a 3 story condo building and a kid accidently started a fire abour 4 doors down. Dad lost about 75% contents including my tree, 2 of my surfboards, a really nice Serotta mountain bike, a pair of K2 KVC Comp skiis and some nice boots.

Many of the family photos made it somehow, but we lost his record collection (including a few my grandfather sang on), and some cool furniture he got from Japan, etc.

Jimi75
December 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
We always buy a real tree. It's my job to put it up with the kids and I as the father of the family enjoy the privilege to put the top/crown as we call it on the tree.

Heywood Jablomie
December 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Chanuka bush!

oldguy
December 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Fake........we used to go cut a real one every year, then put them in a lake when we were finished with them, as cover for the bass and other fish during spawning in the spring. The needles and fire hazard got worrisome, the mess was an aggravation, so we went fake. Haven't regretted it one bit.

NWBasser
December 8th, 2010, 06:48 PM
We use a fake one.

Sort of blasphemy here in the Evergreen State where there are nice spruces, firs, etc. growing all over the place. I guess I just like seeing them in the ground more than dropping their little needle all over my living room.

omegadot
December 9th, 2010, 07:26 AM
We use a little fake tree but only because we've lived in so many apartments and moved a lot/been essentially(but not really) homeless a few times in the last few years. Now that we are stable and have room we'll go to a real tree next year. It took some talking to the wife to convince her.

warren0728
December 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
real....i live in a condo so storage space is limited....don't need to store a big old fake tree.....and the kids love picking out the tree!