PDA

View Full Version : My Modeling Problem – One More Time

Tim
October 27th, 2006, 07:04 AM
I have been discussing with T Ross33 about my unsolvable problem with my guitar signal being to trebly when going from Digitech or Vamp2 modelers straight into a PA system. See this post: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=135&highlight=PA+system

It dawn on me about the cable I have been using to connect the modeler to the PA system. Presently I have been using a guitar cable. T Ross has suggested using a speaker cable. T Ross also thinks I need a DI box since the keyboard player is over powering my signal. The keyboard goes directly into the same PA system. The keyboard plugs into the high impedance jack. With my hum buckers, I use the low impedance input jack. If I use the high impedance jack my signal breaks up badly. T Ross will be DI-ing his signal this weekend and has stated he will get back with me on his set-up.

I was wondering if anybody else had comments on the guitar cable I am presently using between the modeler and PA system. The more I think about this the more I think the cable just may be the culprit.

t_ross33
October 27th, 2006, 08:11 AM
T Ross has suggested using a speaker cable.

Gotta correct ya here Tim :D I said you would need a mic type cable with an XLR on one end and 1/4 inch on the other to run from the DI box to the PA. Your standard guitar cable goes from your git to the DI.

:DR

EDIT: Oops, forgot that I also suggested running from the headphone/line out jack on the modeller to the PA. Then you'd need a speaker type cable with the proper connectors. Hope that clarifies things.

Spudman
October 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Tim

You don't need a DI box for the V Amp. Just a guitar cable from one of the outputs to the mixer input.

Have you changed or experimented with the output options on the V Amp? You will need cabinet modeling and amp modeling. See your manual for how to change output settings. Your options are L1, L2, S1 etc.

I just plug mine into my Mackie board and wail away. It's awesome and I usually have 10 more inputs into the mixer so I doubt the keyboardist is the problem.

Are you using the Line Outs of the Vamp or the headphone out?

t_ross33
October 30th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I had suggested a DI box as a possible fix for issues with the PA Tim is using (not knowing what exactly he's plugging into) with his RP-100. You certainly can go from the instrument out 1/4 jack (or two for stereo) straight into the PA, but from the description of the problem, it seems to only happen when other instruments/signals get involved. I don't know much, but I do know that every soundman (person ;) ) I've worked with would rather have everything come into the mix on a balanced signal.

Anyway...

I DI'd my pedalboard this past weekend, and other than some issues with getting my keyboard player/soundman to give me enough level in the monitor mix :D everything worked just fine. Almost tempted to leave my amp at home from now on. Almost :D . Also a good idea to make sure that cabinet modelling is ON when running straight to the board.

It was a fun gig (Halloween party at a very small pub). We went as KISS in full makeup. I'll post some pix when I get them off my camera.

Robert
October 30th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Ooh yeah, we want to see Trev in Ace Frehley make up! Can't wait!

t_ross33
October 30th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Ooh yeah, we want to see Trev in Ace Frehley make up! Can't wait!

Now how did you guess I was Ace ;)

Tim
November 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
After several months of trying to figure out why my tone was so trebly going through a PA system while playing with a keyboard may has been solved. I have had several conversations and PMs with a couple Fretters on where to look for the problem. I looked at the pick-ups, the guitar cable, and the modeler settings. Even down to the input to the PA system itself. The culprit was the PA system.

I learned one lesson through this whole experience. Start from the end and work back to your guitar. This is especially true if you believe all of your equipment is set up properly. After pulling out a few hairs, I found out last night that the bass EQ for the keyboard was turned up pretty high. With no one looking, I snuck over to the PA system and turned down the bass EQ to about #4. When we began to play my tone was right on.

Point learn: A good sound man is worth his money.