PDA

View Full Version : A Search For Good Blues Rhythm ?

Fretz
December 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hey Guys

I'm trying to sharpen up on my Blues Rhythm Chops at the moment, but find that on a lot of blues recordings there is very little rhythm guitar...a lot of the time being very basic or even left up to the bass and drums.

So I thought I'd throw it out to you guys for opinions. I'm primarly looking for slow/shuffel blues rhythms but I'll take a look at anything you think would be useful. I'm not looking for lessons, but more suggested listening, etc.

Robert
December 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Robben Ford
SRV
Michael Landau

progrmr
December 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
SRV is my personal favorite - his rhythms have this kind of pendulum feel to them. The only thing that bugs me about his recordings is that they are all in Eb! But he certainly had the tone and the blues under his fingers.

Jipes
December 9th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hey Guys

I'm trying to sharpen up on my Blues Rhythm Chops at the moment, but find that on a lot of blues recordings there is very little rhythm guitar...a lot of the time being very basic or even left up to the bass and drums.

So I thought I'd throw it out to you guys for opinions. I'm primarly looking for slow/shuffel blues rhythms but I'll take a look at anything you think would be useful. I'm not looking for lessons, but more suggested listening, etc.

Why not starting with one one of the underrated guitar player Jimmie Vaughan He has a great sense of rythmn and his work on the early T Birds albums is fantastic

Suggested songs to listen
Part Time Lover : great ternary "waltz" shuffle
One's too many: How to make a fantastic groove with a leslie sound
Extra Jimmie's: Great shuffle and wonderful swing lines of Jimmie
Tip on in: How to do a nice rythmn with vibrato sound

Another fantastic guitar player is Robert Cray anything from him is full of nice chops and licks intricated into a steady rythmn he is comping like no one in that style of soul blues and you may learn lots of different way of using chord patterns

A good listening for that is the double pack CD/DVD Cookin' in mobile

Geraint Jones
December 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Fretz , check out Lawrence Fritts backing tracks . The guy has rather graciously produced a stack of blues based backing tracks , I've found them invaluable to jam along to .
In fact everyone click this link , its great that someone should spend the time to develop this resource , I thank you sir .

http://www.lawrencefritts.com/backingtracks.html

Robert
December 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Tracks are gone... :(

Fretz
December 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone for all the tips...much appreciated. I will spend some time this week listening to all your suggestions.

@Geraint Jones, looks like those tracks are gone, but I'll keep an eye as they may be back later in the week.

Geraint Jones
December 15th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I guess this is the reason why they were pulled .The cheek of some people .

www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/156809-rip-off-my-backing-tracks.html

try his youtube site, this was one of about 80 tracks I use virtually every day

fVxSwDLWGWA