PDA

View Full Version : new old guy

kuvash
December 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hi new to forum,live west of Nevada,south of Oregon.I have both electric and acoustic.These days playing more electric....my first "good" guitar ,about a million years ago was a Gibson 125,quite a few have come and gone in the last fifty years.

kuvash

Jimi75
December 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I first thought this was our Old Guy's second introduction...
Welcome aboard kuvash, you will like this place a lot.

Heywood Jablomie
December 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Greetings! I assume you mean northern California. I'm another old guy, and live south of Portland and north of Eugene.

kuvash
December 8th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yup, as far as location....and that's quite a name.

Heywood Jablomie
December 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM
and that's quite a name.
It fits my surly disposition.......

oldguy
December 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Welcome to TheFret!
There's a lot of oldguys around here, you will enjoy it I think.

I'm kinda tired now......:zzz

Robert
December 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Hey man, lots of notsoyounganymore guys here... that's okay!

Thanks for joining.

sunvalleylaw
December 8th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Welcome!

Tig
December 9th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I'm kinda tired now......:zzz

We had to make oldguy change his first few avatars since they were frightening off the young whipper-snappers. :poke
(we love ya, oldguy!)

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/characters/abe.gif

http://www.oldmansimpson.com/pics/grabpics/grampa09.gif

Tig
December 9th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Welcome to The Fret, kuvash! 50 years of playing? Now that is how to live!

I'm sure you'll enjoy this group of fellow musicians. Don't hold back on any stories, gear photos, etc.

PS: I hope you get a chance to play one of the spalted humbucker Tele's. I haven't played one in a few years, but was won over (just didn't have the $ at the time). Used, they range from $500-$600+.

Monkus
December 9th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Welcome !!!!

guitarhack
December 9th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the Fret!

kuvash
December 9th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Thank you all for the "welcome",as I have looked at a lot of forums,this one feels comfortable to me.Note to Tig;I didn't say that I was any good,just been at it awhile.But,I am in a place where I have guitars that I want and that I like to play.I have found as far as guitars,this is one place that it's definately what I like and what I like the feel of and sound of.With that said I do respect others opinions and right to play what they want.

PS: I always try to make room for one more guitar if need be.

Tig
December 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM
PS: I always try to make room for one more guitar if need be.

Ut-oh, you're just as bad as the rest of us! :thumbsup
It has been said that hanging out at The Fret is similar to holding an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in a bar.

kuvash
December 9th, 2010, 12:47 PM
When I first came down here,years ago,my wife to be said"I want to show you this really cool guitar shop that I found"and as we walked in the door she had second thoughts and said"I am probably going to regret this"(we had no money at the time)Aha,a DY50 Rosewood with solid cedar top with ebony fretboard Alvarez-Yairi Wind River Deuxe....so I bought it......a few years later......she said"Hey, on the way home we can swing by this other "really cool" place that I saw some guitars at ,maybe they have the slide your looking for"(pawnshop)....Aha an old Ibanez Concord 12 string,maple with a solid spruce top and maple neck/fretboard...so..I bought it,and a slide and a soundhole pickup and two stands and an Epiphone acoustic amp.....funny thing,she hasn't suggested we stop at this "really cool "guitar store" since.Go figure.

kuvash

kuvash
December 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I picked this up on another forum some time back...the guy said that he bought a new Texan acoustic that looked a lot like his old Epiphone FT 140.So,he just put the old dreadnought away and left the new one out,and his wife never noticed(that's why I always,as much as possible,try to buy "red" teles................................. and "natural"dreads......................it's just a thought.

kuvash

Tig
December 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I picked this up on another forum some time back...the guy said that he bought a new Texan acoustic that looked a lot like his old Epiphone FT 140.So,he just put the old dreadnought away and left the new one out,and his wife never noticed(that's why I always,as much as possible,try to buy "red" teles................................. and "natural"dreads......................it's just a thought.

kuvash

Ah, wisdom shared is always appreciated!

Here's something I picked up from some fishing buddies...
Each time that they would buy a few lures or soft baits at the Academy Outdoors store, they would also buy a $20-$25 gift card. The bank statement would show it to be under $40, so the Mrs wouldn't think twice about it. A few months later, they would take all their gift cards and buy a $250 Shimano reel and it stayed under the radar! :applause

FrankenFretter
December 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Welcome aboard from another 40+ guitar hack! We serve dinner here at 3 PM, so don't be late!

Note: If you take empty guitar cases out the door, and return with a not-so-empty case, usually it goes unnoticed. And to most women who don't have any interest in guitars, one looks like the next, unless they're brilliant orange or flourescent green. Not that I would know or anything, but I have heard...

NWBasser
December 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Welcome aboard from another 40+ guitar hack! We serve dinner here at 3 PM, so don't be late!

Note: If you take empty guitar cases out the door, and return with a not-so-empty case, usually it goes unnoticed. And to most women who don't have any interest in guitars, one looks like the next, unless they're brilliant orange or flourescent green. Not that I would know or anything, but I have heard...

I've heard those flame jobs stand out too....

Welcome Kuvash from the resident bottom-dweller!

kuvash
December 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM
To FF,I had to do that in reverse with my new EDREAD case when I bought it...old guitar in new case......new guitar old case.......it's not a big blip on their radar screen apparently.I am not complaining,it's working for me.

kuvash

Brian Krashpad
December 11th, 2010, 07:55 AM

kuvash

For the same reason, I keep mine cased. ;)

Welcome!