PDA

View Full Version : I hate strats!

NWBasser
December 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Ok, that title has actually gone to past tense lately as I'll explain.

Back in the olden days of yore (you know yore, that big-azzed monster under your bed?), around the mid-80s or so, I had quite a few opportunities to play strats from the 70s that were still commonly around. This was before they were all gobbled up by collectors. Anyhoo, they were usually difficult to play and if you so much as sneezed they'd go right out of tune. In fact, I don't know if they were ever in tune for more than about a minute or so.

Fast forward and I have a heavy metal strat in the late 80s or early 90s. Hot humbucking pickups that wouldn't do a clean tone and a sustain-sucking and difficult-to-restring floyd rose didn't endear it to me.

Then, a couple of years back playing with a couple of guys and try one of the guitarist's Hwy. 1 strat. Misaligned neck, super-high action, heavy, weak tone. Not good.

Time passes and as I recently posted, I played a road-worn strat that was awesome. Then later I tried out an Am. Std. at the local CG and was very, very impressed. That one had such low action that it nearly played itself and I liked the neck profile.

Heck, I'm even growing fond the single-coil sound although I'll never give up on the thick and heavy humbucker LP tone.

In summary then, past experience put a sour taste in my mouth for strats, but the new models have really changed that.

I may actually start saving for one. Maybe a Carvin Bolt as a cheaper alternative to the Am. Std.?

Eric
December 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I was with you up until you started changing your tune. I'm too stubborn to admit that strats might be something I'd like. For a long time, just the sheer ubiquity of them made me run in the other direction. These days, I realize that Les Pauls are probably just as common, but I still dislike the whole strat thing for whatever reason.

However, there's always hope for the future. I'm not ruling them out, but right now I'm still stubbornly holding to my strat opposition.

As far as alternatives, I believe the Godin SD is also quite strat-like and can be found for dirt cheap used. I played a Godin Session (HSS strat) a couple of months ago that I also liked way too much. If you can find either of those anywhere, give them a whirl.

Spudman
December 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM
The Carvin bolt is a whole different beast. It won't play, hang or sound quite like a Strat.

If you want a Strat then get one for sure. If you don't want to spend a lot check out the Squier Classic Vibe 50s and 60s Strats. They are mighty fine Strats however you want to classify them. Seriously. That said, there are too many models of Strats for me to envision owning some of them. It's a little confusing to me, but when you find that one that is slinky playing and sweet sounding you'd better get it right then and there or be forever haunted by "the one that got away."

ZMAN
December 9th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I was also with you until you changed teams! I have 9 Strats and I am finding I don't touch them at all any more. I got into the HB thing and I just can't get back to the single coils. I have every level from Squier Standard to MIA Deluxe and none of them are calling to me lately. I used to go back and forth but now I actually can't stand the tone from them. I guess I will have to pull out the Crossroads DVDs to get an overdose of Stratdom!

Katastrophe
December 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I resisted Fender Strats for years, preferring to play Ibanez, ESP and Charvel superstrats. Each of them played better than the Strats I played back then.

In '06, I got the Strat bug, and played a few at the local GAS station. Every one of them I tried played well, Squiers included (Squiers especially).

My wife bought me one in '06, and has been my number one guitar for 4 years now. I love my MIM Standard. If I were to buy another Strat these days, it would be a Squier Deluxe or CV 50s. They are that good now.

NWBasser
December 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM
The Carvin bolt is a whole different beast. It won't play, hang or sound quite like a Strat.

If you want a Strat then get one for sure. If you don't want to spend a lot check out the Squier Classic Vibe 50s and 60s Strats. They are mighty fine Strats however you want to classify them. Seriously. That said, there are too many models of Strats for me to envision owning some of them. It's a little confusing to me, but when you find that one that is slinky playing and sweet sounding you'd better get it right then and there or be forever haunted by "the one that got away."

What is the Bolt then?

I mean, relative to a strat, what's the neck shape (biggie for me), balance, tone, quality, etc.?

NWBasser
December 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I was also with you until you changed teams! I have 9 Strats and I am finding I don't touch them at all any more. I got into the HB thing and I just can't get back to the single coils. I have every level from Squier Standard to MIA Deluxe and none of them are calling to me lately. I used to go back and forth but now I actually can't stand the tone from them. I guess I will have to pull out the Crossroads DVDs to get an overdose of Stratdom!

Yeah, ZMAN I think you hit on something here. I definitely love the HB in a LP sound. I was playing these strats clean and enjoying the mid and neck position sounds, but it sort of begs the question of how long that enjoyment may last. That could be either a short or a long honeymoon period.

I don't much care for the very bright bridge position sound on a strat, but what else would you expect from a bassist?

Katastrophe
December 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
What is the Bolt then?

I mean, relative to a strat, what's the neck shape (biggie for me), balance, tone, quality, etc.?

It won't be the exact same as a Strat, but the bolt is a bolt neck, double cutaway guitar, made by Carvin to compete with the Strat.

Quality will be top notch, and are right in line with Fender American prices... But the Bolt is a semi-custom guitar, where you choose woods, pickup configuration, frets, and build it to your liking.

Here's the premade guitars -in - stock section: HERE (http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/group.php?cid=SB&dir=R&sort=price)

R_of_G
December 9th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I enjoy using my strat when I want to go heavy on the effects. I find that it takes very well to effects but I am not the least bit pleased with any clean tones I get from it. Then again, I have a Gibson ES-135 which provides the most pleasant clean tones I can imagine. It really all depends on what I'm in the mood to play. The Gibson is the primary go-to guitar, but there are times when the strat does the job I need it to.

Spudman
December 9th, 2010, 07:21 PM
What is the Bolt then?

The body shape is a tad different so it feels different against your body. The fretboard radius is also very flat compared to a Fender and can also be quite thin. Maybe Kiteman will chime in here because I think he owns one. The pickups don't sound like Fender's either.

sunvalleylaw
December 9th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I love my strat! I like thick humbucky sounds but there is a quality that a strat with single coils has that I love at least as much or more. Plus it is by far the most comfortable guitar body I have ever played. I like the clean tones too, and the versatility. Tone knobs make a big difference on these things, as well as pickup selector position. If I were you, I would look for one of the CVs or the Squire Deluxe strats, or a used MIM after 2006, particularly one like mine!

Duffy
December 10th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Try a Black Top strat that they just came out with: two hot chrome covered humbuckers and a five way switch to get some silent single coil sounds. These things play great and have a tremolo and the comfortable strat body feel and neck.

But I like strats to begin with, although the full sized humbucker guitars definitely have a special place in my heart; such as Les Pauls.

hubberjub
December 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Most of my guitars are humbucker equipped, but I do own two American Strats. There are a lot of dogs out there (the same with Gibson) but there is nothing like playing a good Strat. There's just something about the simplicity of the guitar. In my opinion, no guitarist should be without a Strat...and a Tele...and a Les Paul...and a 335............................................... ..........

mapka
December 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I had a mid 80's Strat of unknown origin. Loved the look (maple neck & Lake Placid blue). The color seemed to indicate it was a Mexican made strat (since I have never been able to find a LP blue American made one from that time period) The guitar was an electronics nightmare, but I do need to add that it was used when I bought it and who knows what was done to it before I got it. I always had the urge to find another LP blue Strat and last year I bought a custom shop 57 NOS. I love the guitar as does anyone who plays it. Great pups nice neck profile and of course beautiful color! :) That said, it doesn't get played much. My favorite guitar and the one I alway play when I need the single coil tone is my 1988 Telecaster.

Beerman
December 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I've got a 74 that a somewhat famous local guy worked on in the 80's and nicked a fret but it doesn't affect the sound. I have tired of playing it and now when I do, I like it but it feels like more work playing it than my other guitars.
As for the sound, I do agree it seems like there's not much you can do with as far as variation but there are times when I just feel like playing it.
I was offered money for it (not enough) but as it was my first 'real' guitar that I cut many lawns in the summer to pay for, and, went to many a gig with it, I can't let it go. Not a pack rat, just a sentimental kind of guy.

Brian Krashpad
December 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I'm not a Strat guy, frankly. I did go through a Strat phase where, in the early '90's, a Strat was my main guitar:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/bkleathers.jpg

I do like to keep a Strat in the quiver, although they are so ubiquitous I know I can always get another if necessary. Every now and again, mainly out of sheer perversity, I'll gig one just to have done it. Fr'example here in 2004 with Crash Pad:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/cpec12904bkkneelstratcrowd.jpg

Or here with Hoyt and the Hotheads in 2008:

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/11/l_cf34efe480793ae3cd1c389903586d37.jpg

For single-coil sounds I prefer Teles, P-90's, or other funky singles (the DeArmonds in my Gretsch, the toasters in my Brownsville, the High-Gains in my Ric, or the lipsticks in my Dano). But there are things Strats do (the 2 and 4 quack, and trem work) that most of my other guitars can't/don't.

Brian Krashpad
December 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
In my opinion, no guitarist should be without a Strat...and a Tele...and a Les Paul...and a 335............................................... ..........

Agreed with all the above except I'd broaden 335 to include other hollows or semi's. 335's are just too big-bodied to work on someone elf-sized like me (although at least they're not deep as well).

hubberjub
December 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Agreed with all the above except I'd broaden 335 to include other hollows or semi's. 335's are just too big-bodied to work on someone elf-sized like me (although at least they're not deep as well).

I definitely agree with that. I'm only 5'8" and my Heritage 535 looks huge on me.
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/l_2b36a91e09b263128434363294f10cd0.jpg

NWBasser
December 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM
The body shape is a tad different so it feels different against your body. The fretboard radius is also very flat compared to a Fender and can also be quite thin. Maybe Kiteman will chime in here because I think he owns one. The pickups don't sound like Fender's either.

It seems that you can get a 10-inch fretboard radius if bought new (I'd probably go used though). The back-of-neck profile is a big consideration for me. I once tried a Carvin bass and the flattish neck profile just didn't work for me. In a similar vein, the flat-back thin Ibanez shredder guitar necks don't suit me so well either.

What I do like is a fairly wide fretboard to accommodate my thick fingers, a roundish back profile, and very low action. The RW strat I tried had a 50's profile (I think?), bit of a "V" to it, which was very comfortable to my hands.

Whatever way I go, I'll have to save up for awhile to get one.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

MAXIFUNK
December 10th, 2010, 01:27 PM
STRAT HATE WHAT DA ......................

Maybe because 80% of my favorites AXE Men play Strats I have always loved them. Their tone, sound and feel. Do they sound like an LP no and I do not want it to. I play my American Special HSS or my FSR 2006 Strat with a 60th tagged neck without pick guard the most then my LP.

Their are certain songs that require a Strat and some that require a LP all depends on the song IMO. But I do not think less of my Strat after playing my LP or Tele but that is just me.

I am not the loads of distortion kind of guy but When I do my LP does that for me or my HSS bridge pickup although that pickup does not have the power of the bridge pickup on my LP.

I honestly think as one travels through their own musical experience sooner or later your going to Find the AXE that suites your perfectly.
On Bass for its the Ibanez SR series Basses on guitar it has yet to be decided and may never be. I love the sound of single coils as much as I love the sound of buckers. Hey Joe just screams Strat While Enter Sandman just screams LP. In a perfect scenario I would have plenty of single coils, P-90's, and various Bucker style Guitars but "I NEED A LOT MORE VENTURE CAPITOL FUNDING TO ACCOMPLISH THAT GOAL!!!"

Duffy
December 10th, 2010, 01:59 PM
You mention that it depends on what song you are playing which guitar type you want to use. I do that too.

But it is interesting to note that on the cover of the "Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn: Sessions" DVD/CD, Albert King is playing his big Flying Vee humbucking guitar and SRV is holdin' a strat. Also Lynyrd Skynyrd often has a guy on an Explorer or Firebird (Medlocke), another on a strat (Hughie Thommason, I think), and yet another on a Les Paul (Rossington): and of course these differing guitars sounded great on the same songs in solos as well as supporting each others leads and rythyms.

So, one day I might play a song with one guitar and think it sounds best and another with another and think that sounds best; possibly state of mind or psycho-physical.

Split coils also add another variable to the guitar sound, naturally.

deeaa
December 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I hate strats too. Wrong positions and whatnot for switches and lots of dislikes.

BUT like you I have found the new Fenders to be great instruments, while I thought they used to be just crap more or less in the past.

Still, even now I won't accept those dumb switches and knob positions.

Duffy
December 10th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Watch the new "Crossroads" blues festival DVD and you will see strat masters quickly and efficiently making volume, tone, and switch control adjustments effortlessly while playing. I think it is muscle memory, getting used to where the controls are without thinking about it. Think about a Jazzmaster - there is another example of a complicated control layout.

I know a lot of fairly inexperienced or just mono-tone strat players that never touch the controls between songs; but if you watch the masters they are constantly adjusting the controls without missing a beat - Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Vince Gill, come to mind. "Crossroads 2010" is a great DVD by the way and you can get a big discount at Borders, no affln., if you have a borders card. You get almost daily discount coupons emailed that give you approximately fifty percent off on CD/DVDs, and you get a discount for pre-ordering and ordering on-line. I got the new Crossroads for like fourteen dollars. Derek Trucks, his wife, and Warren Haynes and band do a great performance not using strats by the way.

oldguy
December 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I guess it depends on who's playing one, and what they're playing.
And your taste in music. I like this....

6kpkSRtcrR0&feature=related

I don't like this.........I don't blame the Strats, though.

qYS732zyYfU&feature=related

helliott
December 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM
It's entirely subjective, so I'm almost reluctant to offer yet another perspective. But I've played dozens of strats over my 40 years playing. I've gone off them, and back for all the reasons others have cited. I now have an American Fatstrat, plus a Gison ES339, PRS CE-24 and Baha Tele. Love'em all, but for gigging,a when I don't have room or hangars for more than a couple, the Strat is always #1 as it's just a bit more versatile. You definitely have to get comfortable with pickup changing on the fly, using theS1 system and making lots of tone knob adjustments. But when I do, it remains a fantastic guitar that can fatten up nicely, though not to LP proportions, while also offering shimmery and out of phase options.