PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy

Beerman
December 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM
New to the forum, but not to guitars. I've recently realized that I need to shed some of my 70's style playing and learn different, new styles. While I was in a nowhere band for 19 years, I had really stopped playing for almost a decade (except for the occasional need to touch a guitar) and picked it up again about 3 years ago.
I have a friend who has an awesome jam room in his house with lots of equipment to make even me sound ok. So, we've been playing with some guys just for fun when I realized that everyone is better than me. :) No worries, I love to watch good guitarists but even the guys my age seem to have adjusted their styles to not sound like something off an old Grand Funk album.
I've got a 74 strat (great shape but not a good decade for them) a PRS and recently, a Hagstrom Swede (very nice). Got a few acoustics and even managed to teach myself a little mandolin (thank you REM).
I hope by checking out all the great links and friendly folks here that I can re-invent my techniques and at the same time, enjoy it even more.
Thanks to all the guys and gals who share their lives here. It's full of great stuff I wish I would have found years ago.

Paul

Tig
December 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Beerman. A name like that means you'll gain friends quickly! :beer: :beer: See, you came to the right place.

Nice gear collection ya got. You'll enjoy this place, I'm sure.

bcdon
December 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Any friend of beer is a friend of mine! Welcome aboard! :dude

Robert
December 10th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Welcome Mr Beer!

I happened to love beer as well... and coffee. Oh yeah, guitars too.

Beerman
December 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I actually use to make my own beer years ok. Not great but it worked. Now I don't have time for that.
I'm really enjoying reading all the posts by such passionate folks. I hope I can learn and share at the same time.

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah. welcome, and the rest of what Robert said! Have fun here!

Brian Krashpad
December 11th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Welcome!

http://www.beershop.com.mk/images/jokes/homer_simpson_beer.gif

I've been teaching myself mandolin too! Started playing in church and then talked my way into a band looking for a mandolin player. So I'm learning by doing. Really have to start in on lead work eventually though.

Spudman
December 11th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Hi and welcome Beerman.:wave:

kidsmoke
December 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM
welcome aboard Beerman, and don't underestimate your ability to share knowledge as well, some of us are actually TRYING to sound like Grand Funk!:rockya

Monkus
December 14th, 2010, 06:14 AM
some of us are actually TRYING to sound like Grand Funk!

Ditto ! and Welcome !