PDA

View Full Version : New version of "My Security Shield" virus out there...

Katastrophe
December 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Mrs. Kat was looking on an arts and crafts website last night and picked up a new version of the "My Security Shield" virus. The program lists a bunch of programs that it says are malware (which the program itself installed), and asks for payment to clean your computer. Apparently, this version is new and different enough to escape my anti-virus software. It's now going under the name "SecurityShield."

The program makes it where you can't get into Task Manager, or any other programs to disable or delete it.

If you have this virus, you'll have to log in in "safe mode." This will disable the program temporarily. Once there, there are a number of anti-malware programs, both free and for a charge, that will clean the computer. Beware! There were a number of programs out there that asked in their directions and licensing agreements for the user to give them remote access to the computer. Use only trusted sites and vendors.

Beerman
December 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I'm a big fan of Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Both offer free versions that work very well.
I hate that those 'holes' can do this to people who just want to enjoy the internet.

Tig
December 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm a big fan of Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Both offer free versions that work very well.
I hate that those 'holes' can do this to people who just want to enjoy the internet.

A 2nd vote for Malwarebytes. I ended up buying the full version after the free one cleaned up all the crap my previous malware app missed. It has one flaw, however... No auto update D/L, so you need to manually update a few times per week.

I also replaced my old McAfee 8.5i (was from work) with Norton Antivirus 2011. I'm quite impressed after 2 months.

As an IT security nerd, I'm very picky when it comes to these kinds of app's. Also, some of the security suites are starting to look like they are worthwhile these days.

bigoldron
December 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM
MalwareBytes is definitely a +1! I use it all the time to clean up my friends' computers (for a fee of course!!! LOL) because they can't stop playing those stupid games on Facebook. It has been a bit of a pain, but by running in safe mode, it can be removed.

I haven't tried Norton 2011, but I'm not a big fan of Norton or McAfee. From my experience, they tend to take TOO much control of your computer and, in a lot of cases, slow it to a crawl. I've been using Avira (FREE!!!) with pretty doggone good success.