PDA

View Full Version : First MAC impressions

Jimi75
December 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Hi friends,

It's been one week since the delivery of my iMac. I wasn't online quite often, because I have concentrated on getting my recording set up running on the Apple.

I am really overwhelmed so far by how great the Mac really is. I love the logic structure of this computer, and how userfriendly everything works. Nothing handicaps the performance of this computer. I run 8 programs at the same time and the Mac doesn't bother. It runs like a VW Bug :running

It's unbelievable how easy it was to install my hardware on the Mac. It took me 10 minutes and I was ready to go. The Mac accepted my USB Piano without asking for a driver. Getting my Line6 Toneport and Gearbox running was a piece of cake. Downloaded the software and driver and that's it.

I have tried out Garageband, which already is an awesome recording program. Had I known how much softwareunstruments and loops it already contains and had I known about the possibilities of GB, I had waited longer with buying Logic Express 9.

Anyways, I bought Logic, I installed it and what can I say...it's all I ever wanted. I bought it with a nice handbook and I go slowly through the exercises. The name says it all - "LOGIC" that's what it really is!

The amp simulations in Logic are great. I'd say they are top notch quality. My first test recordings were dynamic, had a lot of headroom and my 76 Strat was growling through some nice SRV licks that I had to listen back over and over, 'cause the recording quality made me smile all day long :-)

I am going to finish the recording course and then I will record the first songs.
The only thing and this is really the only thing is that the Rock-bass-guitar sounds in Logic are not the best. I will have to install my NI Bandstand for the bass. Upright Bass, Jazz bass etc. are first class.

I am sure there's no way back to a PC for me.

:french

sunvalleylaw
December 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Congrats! Having used them myself for years, mostly for my work, I am glad to hear you are liking it. Although I can and do record with mine, I under-utilize the loops and software instruments in Garageband. I need to learn what drums and drum loops are in there, etc. so I can create more like Spud did recently. I would love to get a good blues shuffle backer constructed, a good classic 50s jazz backer, etc., and I am sure I could create those within Garageband if I just took time to learn a bit.

Radioboy950
December 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM
@Jimi--Congrats on the Mac. They've been my family's computers of choice for a long time. You will have a blast!

@SVL--Like you, I have not taken full advantage of what's available. I've explored, recorded clips, incorporated software instruments and played with different tracks in GarageBand. It's pretty nice for pre-loaded software. I have yet to obtain what I feel is a great recording of my "live" guitar sound. But I'm using a cheapo USB interface at the moment. I'll upgrade later I suppose.

sunvalleylaw
December 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
@Radioboy, I do like the recorded sounds I am getting through my Toneport into Garageband via the Gearbox software that runs the Toneport. You might be able to pick up a used one of those or find one on sale. Seems to work great! I have imported tracks, recorded a couple tracks over that, etc., but have done very little creating with the built in loops and tools. I might need to start a new thread on that topic so we can share ideas and experience.

Monkus
December 14th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I've been an imac user for about a year. Been through PC's and Linux and I aint moving from the imac. Learnt GB and used it to my advantage but quickly outgrew it and upgraded to Logic Studio. I still use GB as a scratchpad, sketching out ideas, then importing into studio then tweak, mix and master. More time playing and recording rather than fixing stuff that's not working. Looking forward to GB 11.

Any DAW will work if you're used to it and understand its quirks. My DAW is an iMac. :rockya

SuperSwede
December 14th, 2010, 08:36 AM
The Mac sure is a sweet system :)