PDA

View Full Version : I have not heard....can you help me?

Jx2
December 14th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Recently I was going through some cd's from way back. Came across alot of bands from the grunge days you'd expect seeing how I graduated high school in 96. The bigger names(Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, A.I.C, etc) never really left my daily rotation. However, I found myself listening to and really enjoying again bands like The Melvins, Meat Puppets, Mud Honey, Sonic Youth and Dinosar Jr. to name a few, as well as some punk albums like Operations Ivy, Rancid, Reel Big Fish.

So in the last few days Ive been browseing labels, the most recent shows these guys have played for the other bands on stage with them, and even wikipedia. Looking for some new groups that have that feel about them. Not so much the grunge or punk sound to say. But that energy, vibe, feel, rawness. The only band my search has turn up really in a group called New Bomb Turks, which for the most part is a very Rancid, early Green Day sounding band. So Im asking the fretmass, any suggestions or youtube videos for me to check out? Heck does your band fit this discribtion got a demo or cd for sale lmk.

R_of_G
December 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM
If you like New Bomb Turks, which any fan of good garage/punk should, I think you would enjoy the Devil Dogs, who were a major influence on their sound.

Here's a taste or two.

First, the Dogs covering a classic from the Dictators.

Interestingly, they play this one faster and louder than the Dictators who once boasted in song they could play "Faster and Louder" than anyone (I'm guessing at least Brian Krashpad will appreciate that joke)...

IETBo8clQYw

Here's one of their own tunes...

* song starts at about 42 seconds

2x0ZTShEqfE

There are many many bands out there playing in this garage/punk revival style and many of them are good, but none of them bring it quite like the Dogs did.

Jimi75
December 14th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I remember a Seattle based band called "The Afghan Whigs". I think they played that kinda garage Grunge & Punk stuff, too.

Tig
December 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Word:
Handsome Dick Manitoba
:dude

Tig
December 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Wow, I'm listening to the latest from Soundgarden, "Telephantasm" (pretty good stuff for a reunion), and up pops your post!

I saw the Meat Puppets in '83 and only have their first few albums, so I can't help with their 90's and later music.

For fans of Melvins, their latest release, The Bride Screamed Murder is OK if a bit eclectic.

Thanks to R_of_G, I'll have to dig into the Devil Dogs.

Jx2
December 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Wish Id seen the Meat Puppets, they where my favorite "B-List" if you would of the 90's. Sadly all but one of my MP cd's have disappeared over the years. Funny to me how songs like Lake of Fire, Plateau and the other one drawing a blank right now. Where good for Nirvana, but Backwater is the MP only hit. Just goes to show even then it was about the press your band received more than your music. Id even venture that to this day there is a handfull of fans who love those songs and dont even realize that the Kirkwood brothers where guests on unplugged.

Tig
December 14th, 2010, 10:32 AM
[quote=Jx2]Wish Id seen the Meat Puppets, they where my favorite "B-List" if you would of the 90's. Sadly all but one of my MP cd's have disappeared over the years. Funny to me how songs like Lake of Fire, Plateau and the other one drawing a blank right now. Where good for Nirvana, but Backwater is the MP only hit. [quote]

I drifted away from the underground music for awhile, and was shocked to later hear MP on the radio with any song at all. "Backwater" was good to get them some exposure, but it didn't sound like MP to me.

The second time I saw MP play ('83, tiny club called The Crystal Pistol, Tulsa, OK), I thought they'd be dead in no time considering how wasted they were! I remember drummer Derrick was speeding out, and suddenly running out the back door to puke. Later Curt started playing a song that the other guys never even heard before. It was a train wreck night. It was also ef'ing fun!

R_of_G
December 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Was never much of a Meat Puppets fan, but I did see them play a few years ago with Built to Spill, a band you might want to check out if you like Dinosaur Jr. I've seen them a few times and if you like a whole lot of loud distorted guitar, they bring the goods.

cH9EJg4o9-s

i2K7WfSBcJs

kidsmoke
December 14th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Any True Believers fans out there?

ouLe5yde4Fo

x

ZGhgdxoPQbE

Not a huge punk fan, even though I was selling records in LA in 85 - 86

HUGE Alejandro and Jon Dee Graham fan

Jx2
December 14th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I like built to spill very cool groove to them.

R_of_G
December 14th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I like built to spill very cool groove to them.

Glad you like. The potential for sloppiness abounds when you have a band with three guitarists, but they make the most of it, particularly live.

Jx2
December 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM
They have almost a stoner rock sound to me. Kinda Kyuss like. At least on the few tracks Ive listened to so far. Not as much distorted guitar as I was expecting.

Tig
December 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Wow, flashback of X! I wasn't a huge fan, but "Under The Big Black Sun" was a staple in the day.

Billy Zoom is the coolest, cool cat guitarist ever with his knowing grin. He's also know to be a sought after amp mod guru.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss159/Punkglobe/August%2010/BillyZoomX.jpg

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Cool thread! I lost touch with the western washington underground scene when I left for Idaho. I call it western washington as much came from closer to Olympia than actually Seattle back in the day. I will see what I can some up with after a little research.

R_of_G
December 14th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Cool thread! I lost touch with the western washington underground scene when I left for Idaho. I call it western washington as much came from closer to Olympia than actually Seattle back in the day. I will see what I can some up with after a little research.

Built to Spill is based in Boise so if you like them, I would imagine there are ample opportunities to see them for you. Luckily for me, they are a band that doesn't neglect Florida in their touring as so many others do.

Jx2
December 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Built to Spill is based in Boise so if you like them, I would imagine there are ample opportunities to see them for you. Luckily for me, they are a band that doesn't neglect Florida in their touring as so many others do.

Try living in Southern Indiana. Closest city is Louisville Ky, about a hour south, but the music there has never recovered really after the signing of Days of the New. If a good band comes there is little to no local media support due to the lack of a decent let alone good radio station. When the big 3 was there a few months ago I wouldnt of even known if I wasnt curious about where Anthrax was at. And I missed the show because I couldnt afford it. Around here if you dont know 100% who your wanting to see and follow regulary they will come and go and no one knows. I rember going to see Eric Clapton my last big show a few years back. Just to find out that STP was playing the next weekend at the Brickyard. Had there been more exposure on the radio Id went to see STP over Clapton just because STP was one of my favorite bands out of the 90's. Dont get me wrong I loved seeing Clapton, but STP I just relate to more.

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2010, 12:50 PM
@R_of_G, I will check them out when I can. MxPx's Mike Herrera from Bremerton, who I missed seeing in Boise in October, is involved in a new band/sometimes solo project called Tumbledown that blends similar song structure base to what he normally does with sort of "country" guitar influences and structures. I like this vid that was shot at least partially in Tacoma, where you can see the old 11th street bridge going looking out toward the tide flats of the Puyallup river and the sites of the old pulp mills and the still active container port.

aoUGaLjIrEU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoUGaLjIrEU&feature=related

Not really in the same category as Mudhoney, Green River and the like, but still interesting stuff coming from a 90's PNW punk.

Jx2
December 14th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Now that song has some MP overtones.

OK clicked though a few samples on youtube. Tumbletown in whole dont have MP overtones, but is probably my favorite suggestion to date. These guys kick arse. :applause :dance :applause :thumbsup

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Now that song has some MP overtones.

OK clicked though a few samples on youtube. Tumbletown in whole dont have MP overtones, but is probably my favorite suggestion to date. These guys kick arse. :applause :dance :applause :thumbsup

Glad you like them. Here is one that is flavored more toward the MxPx band style. They were a bit power or pop punk with heavy Ramones/Clash/Social Distortion sounds and influences. Mike was the lead singer in that band too. They broke up a few months ago as their main guitarist decided to stop touring to stay home with family more. They may do studio work still. This song has plenty of the old MxPx with some of the new twists blended in too.

_omsjwWiINc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_omsjwWiINc&feature=related

The background of this vid is very Bremerton, Hood canal, Key Peninsula looking. Beautiful trees and scenery, with plenty of junked out cars stuck out in the woods.

FrankenFretter
December 14th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Ah, the good old days. Were they good? Maybe. I remember drinking a lot of beer with some of the Bellingham bands around the time of Nirvana, etc. You probably won't find anything on iTunes or YouTube, but Game for Vultures (with Mort from Mono Men), The Janes, Thin Men, and Stagnant Water were a few that come to mind. The 3B Tavern and the Up and Up were the places to be back in the early 90s. Memories...

I dig the Boston band Dropkick Murphys, although I realize they're not for everyone. I do kind of put them in the same category (roughly) as Rancid, whom I also love. Give them a listen!

Jx2
December 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I like the dropkick murphys, man the 90's had some very good music. Was reading in guitar world today and Tom Morello thinks that that "scene" will be the last one because of how things are done today. Combined with, what seems like alot of other artists the lack of record stores.

I just got to beleive there are more bands out today that fall into these themes or genre's that just havent received any or very little fan fare because of the lack of the scene those are the main bands Im looking for.

lou
December 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM
try Grace Potter and the Nocturnals they have a nice new unique sound to them, kind of hard to pin them down somewhere to any given jeuandra.
lou

sunvalleylaw
December 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM
. . . man the 90's had some very good music.

I know a lot of guys don't like the 90s and think that they killed guitar, but I love a lot of 90's music. I heartily agree with you. I also think there is a lot of good stuff out there now too. Just have to find it, as most is more indy, underground or etc. I guess one thing you can say about the 90's is that for a while, grunge brought indy/garage style music more into the general consciousness.

Jx2
December 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I know a lot of guys don't like the 90s and think that they killed guitar, but I love a lot of 90's music. I heartily agree with you. I also think there is a lot of good stuff out there now too. Just have to find it, as most is more indy, underground or etc. I guess one thing you can say about the 90's is that for a while, grunge brought indy/garage style music more into the general consciousness.

I know what you mean. I have a very good friend who hates anything he deems related to grunge. I cant stand his wife, hate to say that but thats another story all together. If he brings her over and Ive had my fill all I have to do is get a guitar down and start jamming on some Nirvana or Green Day songs wont take long and if he knows Im not planning on stopping anytime soon he'll leave. Might make him sound like a duche, but we all have a shady side to use I just use his to run off his girl. :running

What killed music in my mind is this thing we are using right now communicating with each other. A forum is nothing more than a specific topic social network. It is a advance in modern technology but it's killed alot of things we loved. Record stores are a dying breed. People stay home and d/l movies instead of going to the movies. Gaming is now online. Heck I dont even think we'll see another ground war untill after a nasty bomb is dropped and population takes a major hit. My grandmother use to get out all the time. Now she sit's at home and does all her shopping at home. Its kinda sad because we are all getting lazy, myself included. Im waiting for a major concert to be available to view online. It be fine imo for something like Ozzfest or Lollapalooza which is a one show event now days. But imagine if the Big 4 web cast every show? When that day comes music willl be in major trouble.

Jx2
December 17th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Just thought Id chime back in, Ive found several bands lately. Its mostly punk, and some of it is just old stuff I passed over back when. But the juices are flowing. It was simple to find more than enough music to fill my needs right now simply by stopping at Epitaph Records site. You guys need to check out Frank Turner. I'll add a link when Im not about to fall asleep.