PDA

View Full Version : The Hendrix Chord

Robert
December 14th, 2010, 08:49 AM
That Hendrix Chord... I think there's 2 that people often refer to. Have a look at this video.

I shouldn't have said "Dominant 7" - just 7 chord .... but you know the mind wanders when you're past forty...

FLGzCD0qmFA

Tig
December 14th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Excellent lesson, Robert! You should have birthdays more often! (but that might age you too quickly)

I needed this lesson to firm up my use of these chords, so it was very helpful. You've been asking what you should do lessons on, and here you are, doing them already.

Jimi75
December 14th, 2010, 02:00 PM
VERY IMPORTANT LESSON

Everyone should know that chord and associate it with Jimi.

Well done Rob!
:applause

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I have come to rely on that last shape with the thumb wrapped over the top a lot. I have always considered it basically an E shaped barre chord variation. I have to learn to use the others now. I got that thumb one trying to copy Mayer who of course got it from SRV and back all the way to Hendrix. Cool lesson!

Rx Tone
December 16th, 2010, 04:28 PM
That's a good one. Thanks!

jpfeifer
December 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hi Robert,

Stellar job on this man! You're great at these instructional videos and they have a lot of useful information. I would have loved to have access to this kind of information when I was trying to learn this stuff. The internet is an amazing thing.

I wanted to ask you about your amp setup for this video. Your tone is spot on for the Hendrix or Stevie Ray kind of sound. I just wondered what you're playing through. The Strat sounds exactly as it should for this sound. What amp and/or effects are you running through?

--Jim

Robert
December 17th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks Jim!

I used a 100 watt Marshall JVM410H through an Avatar 2x12 cab with Eminence Wizards. I set the amp to the Crunch channel, at very low volume. It has a great preamp distortion so I can get great tone at low volume. I then topped it all off with a Lovepedal COT50 - my favourite gain pedal right now. Just adds that extra little bit of magic to your tone, which I think you noticed... ;)