PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop the urge to buy new guitars

progrmr
December 14th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I have a new guitar for about a week, then I find myself looking at other guitars and wanting to buy!

It's like GAS out of control - no good reason, everything I have is freakin' great. Why the desire to buy more? I know what will happen - I'll have it for a week, and want to buy something else...I ain't rich so that can't continue lol!

How do you all avoid this urge? Or do you just buy anything you want??

Beerman
December 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I get that way not only with guitars but with building computers. I don't need no more stinking computers!
However, if you have a wife (sorry about this ladies in attendance) who buys too many shoes and purses, a sure cure (warning, rationalization ahead) is to match each shoe color with a guitar. That way it goes with the wife's purse and shoes.
I just look at my paycheck and the fact that I have to pay for most of my kids college and it's usually enough to stop me. Or I tell myself to practice more with what I have an earn it.
I saved a good chunk of change not eating out. My wife is a great cook and loves to cook so why spend the $$$ on eating out. I also try to drink a little less but the Beerman can't drink that water beer. He needs ream-man beer and the money is well worth it.

progrmr
December 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
So I googled "how to stop buying guitars" and found this link to Robert's web site!! lol

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/practicing-buying-guitar.php

Eric
December 14th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I have this same issue, but I've kept it in check reasonably well as of late. I think a helpful thing for me is to get excited, not pull the trigger, and see if it's still there a week later.

It also helps quite a bit to be honest with my wife and tell her what I'm interested in. She'll usually ask if it's something I've been looking at for a long time, and whether it's a good deal, what need it would fill, etc. She knows I need support in my decision-making, so she'll try to walk through the process with me.

But probably the most useful thing is that I keep a hobby account where I give myself a weekly allowance of money. That way, what I can spend on gear is set. If I want something else, I'll sell something to free up money for it if I don't have enough. I can always dip into the main funds, but I know that's bad and I feel guilty for doing it.

I have fairly nice gear with which I'm happy, so I don't usually want to sell off my existing stuff. So I just sit with what I have.

Man, that whole thing didn't seem very cohesive, but those are the tactics I employ. They seem to work reasonably well for now. Good luck with taming the churn cycle.

Tig
December 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Bwaaaaa-Haaaaa-haaa! You came here to get answers? :rollover

That's like going to a crack house asking how to kick the habit!

// OK, my personal answer is simple... Marry a woman who will never get it about GAS, yet love and respect her enough to not empty the savings account to go buy new toys. It is a bitter-sweet kinda' thing.

Jx2
December 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Me I trade and trade and trade. And 90% of my trades are done with the same core group of guys. Which is great, I bought a Squier Jagmaster some 5-6 years ago. I traded it to my buddy who traded it to another buddy and it was on, that guitar was passed around like a bottle of Jack on a Van Halen tour bus.

A quick run down since basically August.

Bought Washburn V
Traded Washburn for Epiphone LP

Bought Schecter Daimen 6(a 2nd model)
Traded for Hamer SATP90
Traded Hamer for Epiphone Dot Stuidio

Bought Dean Deceiver X
Traded Dean for Monster Cables and $$$$

Bought Fender Champion 600 amp

Bought Randal Solid State Half Stack
Traded for Gretch Acoustic and some pedals
Traded Gretch for GK half stak and 5 string Peavey bass

Bought cheap resonator guitar and Dean Hillsboro.

Great thing is all but 2 guitars are still obtainable through my circle of friends.

Retro Hound
December 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I have an account set aside for "splurges" and if there's no money, I don't buy. I can sell or trade stuff until the account gets built back up. I suppose that if there's an "emergency," like a Gretch for $350, then I'll make an exception and use the house budget until I can pay it back. But then I have to listen to the wife (who is not a shopper or a collector so I get no sympathy there) until it's paid back.

poodlesrule
December 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM
As a newbie, I sometimes find that behavior trait disturbing, yet (almost) fall into the same pattern. Somehow I expect a guitar owner to cherish the thing for a little while...

The era of cheap and serviceable guitars may be to blame, in contrast with the old days' need to save a good amount of hard-earned money to put down on a "special" treat?

Three styles of pick-ups, etc.. Oops I forgot the thing about amphs... and the pedals.

Hey, I have been drinking... it's my birthday!
And where did I spend money today: hardware at Lowes, and (important) vitamin supplements at the fancy market...sigh. To be honest I did stop by Daddys Junk Music and gawked. I saw a nice used Vox VT30...

marnold
December 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
For me it was finally finding a guitar that I don't feel the need to mod to make it serviceable. Yeah, I did add a treble bleed cap and a trem stop to my Jackson, but I don't think those things really count. My Charvel just needed a lot of work and I really didn't like the neck. My Fender played great, but I really missed a neck pickup. My Floyd was nice (and taught me that I really like FR-style bridges) but I was concerned that I might not be able to keep getting the special strings for the Speedloader system.

Most every time I think about another guitar I think about minor (or not-so-minor) things I'd do to it. If I sit back and think about it, I'd be trying to make it more like my Jackson. What's the point if I've already got one? The only thing I might like is a hardtail Rhoads or Dinky so that I can mess around with some different tunings. That's not very pressing, though.

Actually, since I got my Jet City, I really haven't had amph or guitar GAS--at least nothing that made me think seriously about whipping out ye olde credit card.

NWBasser
December 14th, 2010, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=poodlesrule]Hey, I have been drinking... it's my birthday!
QUOTE]

:beer:

and

:hbday

bcdon
December 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hey, I have been drinking... it's my birthday!
And where did I spend money today: hardware at Lowes, and (important) vitamin supplements at the fancy market...sigh. To be honest I did stop by Daddys Junk Music and gawked. I saw a nice used Vox VT30...
:beer: Happy Birthday!! I hope you don't save drinking just for special occasions. :-)

MAXIFUNK
December 14th, 2010, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=poodlesrule]Hey, I have been drinking... it's my birthday!
QUOTE]

:beer:

and

:hbday
Happy bday

MAXIFUNK
December 14th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have always had gas for one thing or another in my life depending on what I was into at the time.

Bass Guitars and gear. At one point in the 80's I had 5 Basses I bought for over 3k each.

Car- foreign and domestic I had plenty.

Home Audio gear---- I still have gas in this area all the time.
Martin Logan, Krell, Macintosh etc etc installed systems for many people. My Martin Logan CLS and Prodigy speakers still sound fantastic pumping through my Krell and Lexicon gear. My B&W gear through my Rotel gear are a match made in heaven. (Rotel the best bang for your buck in high end audio gear).

Women when I was single and on the road.

GAS LIVES FOREVER IT NEVER DIES IT JUST MOVES ONTO NEW TOYS....
CD'S, DVD'S, AUDIO GEAR, CARS, BOATS, MOTORCYCLES it is genetic to MALE DNA!!!!

My mom used to always say "BOY'S LOVE FOR TOYS LAST UNTIL THE DAY THEY DIE. THEY JUST GET MORE COSTLY AS THEY AGE AND ALMOST MATURE!!!

Spudman
December 15th, 2010, 12:24 AM
You know.....

...that something I've never thought about. Hmmmm.:cool:

kiteman
December 15th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Whenever I have gas I take Extra Strength Tums. :poke

sumitomo
December 15th, 2010, 08:29 AM
The best way to stop the urge to buy a guitar is simple,Buy a guitar and then there is no more urge to buy one,well at least that one,Oh! but look at that one and over there LOOK at THAT ONE!!!NO LOOK OVER THERE AT THAT ONE WOW!There everwhere,tell 'em to stop it leave me alone,No OH! Look at that one.See no more urge.Simple!! Sumi:D

Jimi75
December 15th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Meditation, Yoga, lots of talking to a shrink, but still these are no guearantees...:happy

Man, I just stopped buying guitars. My 76 Strast was the last one I bought and currently I think about selling some guitars. Sometimes it's wise to take a look behind the curtain and to see that there's more than playing guitar in life ;-)

ZMAN
December 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM
You know.....

My first thought was don't ask Spudman!
I agree with what Maxi said. I have done that all my life. Camera, Knives, Diecast cars, Muscle cars, Tools. I think it is imprinted in the Male DNA.
That is what I tell my wife anyway.
I have a lot of guitars and I swore I would not buy any more gear, and I managed to sneak in a Super Champ XD, and I am currently negotiating a trade for a Gibson Les Paul. (exactly like one I had and traded).
I find like in buying cars, the only way to defeat the Gas is to wait a couple of days before pulling the trigger. It gives time for reality to set in.
The only problem I have now is parting with guitars or amps.
The other thing I know is that Guitar makers know this. They are constantly coming up with the same product but slightly different. Colors, pickups, hardware. The rationale is it will cost me X to change my guitar, so why not just buy a new one. That one got me 9 Strats.
The only thing I find is that now that I know all this I can curb the Gas!
Yea Right!

Algonquin
December 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM
'It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got'

syo
December 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Must say, I've never gone from buying a new guitar to wanting another in a week. I don't have quite that kind of CAGAS (Chronically Accelerated GAS). Still, when I feel I'm gassing before I should, I usually ease the pressure with an amp or recording gear/software.

But probably the biggest curb to guitar gas for me has been to start my own guitar co. I have so many guitars, guitar parts, prototypes etc. lying around that the thought of more guitars taking up more space isn't to0 attractive to me. Guess I'm not cut out to follow in Spudman's footsteps after all. What is it now 50+?!

Tig
December 15th, 2010, 01:51 PM
You know.....

Good thing these guys aren't into bikes, or even worse, racing them.
Guitars and amphs are cheap compared to carbon fiber and titanium bikes, wheels, etc. Unlike guitars (except for Gibson's mighty Firebird X!), bikes actually get better every year or two, or at least that's what the marketing tells us.

http://cdn1.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2010/07/05/1/ctt_cervelo_r5_full_view_600.jpg
http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/products/bikes/mountain/1276702444725-v4fqrjpkvvr0_600.jpg

Spudman
December 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Damn Tig! Those are sweet. :drool:

Algonquin
December 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I find telling my wife of my intentions prior to heading out the door to buy something helps curb my GAS...
--> Her :spank <-- Me

Brian Krashpad
December 16th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Running out of available funds always works for me.

The one thing I won't do is buy a guitar I can't pay for without a doable sale of something I can part with, or having the full cash on hand.

Commodore 64
December 16th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Buy cheap *** ones and take them apart and put them back together. I gotta take some pics of the SX Tele I got from Eric.

It's been fret leveled, gotten some locking tuners, and been retrofitted with a P-90 in the neck and SC-sized bucker in the bridge.

It's like having a whole 'nother guitar!

Eric
December 16th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Buy cheap *** ones and take them apart and put them back together. I gotta take some pics of the SX Tele I got from Eric.
Yeah you do -- I want to see this thing now!

Duffy
December 16th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I have been much more selective in what guitars and amps I buy and have been concentrating on substantially upgrading my collection, instead of buying a lot of less expensive guitars. My latest purchase, an Epiphone LP Custom in black is one of my best playing and sounding and definitely looking guitars. I play it thru a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe mostly. I might get a SuperSonic someday, as one near me is available new for about half price in blonde.

So being more selective and concentrating on upgrading my collection of guitars and amps has helped a lot. I'm finding that with the nicer stuff I'm more satisfied and don't feel the need to get a lot of new stuff except certain things that I'm focusing on.

My latest amp is an Egnater Tweaker head. An outstanding amp thru my cabs.

Another thing I have been doing is upgrading the pickups and electronics in some of my favorite less high quality guitars with things like Seymour Duncan pickups and Fender Custom Shop pickups. These are relatively inexpensive and can make a very big improvement in the sound and looks of your favorite instruments. Plus you learn a lot when you start hot rodding your guitars.

Nice tube amps are definitely nice and having at least one would be very satisfying. The sound is, in my experience, way improved over the solid state amps. My Hot Rod Deluxe and LP Custom combination produces a sound that blooms when you strike a note, and it has very satisfying natural breakup on the clean channel. Amps like that require a concentrated selection process and a consideral sum, but the payoff is very rewarding when you get something good, within your means.

I also buy a lot of other things besides guitars, that I have been wanting. Like a 46 inch Sony TV and a PS3 and games, power and hand tools.

Spudman
December 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM
So in other words there is no curbing urges for you?

I have been much more selective in what guitars and amps I buy and have been concentrating on substantially upgrading my collection, instead of buying a lot of less expensive guitars. My latest purchase, an Epiphone LP Custom in black is one of my best playing and sounding and definitely looking guitars. I play it thru a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe mostly. I might get a SuperSonic someday, as one near me is available new for about half price in blonde.

So being more selective and concentrating on upgrading my collection of guitars and amps has helped a lot. I'm finding that with the nicer stuff I'm more satisfied and don't feel the need to get a lot of new stuff except certain things that I'm focusing on.

My latest amp is an Egnater Tweaker head. An outstanding amp thru my cabs.

Another thing I have been doing is upgrading the pickups and electronics in some of my favorite less high quality guitars with things like Seymour Duncan pickups and Fender Custom Shop pickups. These are relatively inexpensive and can make a very big improvement in the sound and looks of your favorite instruments. Plus you learn a lot when you start hot rodding your guitars.

Nice tube amps are definitely nice and having at least one would be very satisfying. The sound is, in my experience, way improved over the solid state amps. My Hot Rod Deluxe and LP Custom combination produces a sound that blooms when you strike a note, and it has very satisfying natural breakup on the clean channel. Amps like that require a concentrated selection process and a consideral sum, but the payoff is very rewarding when you get something good, within your means.

I also buy a lot of other things besides guitars, that I have been wanting. Like a 46 inch Sony TV and a PS3 and games, power and hand tools.

progrmr
December 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I just spent my "extra" cash on a fender blues junior. Man that's a great sounding amp. That should keep me away from guitars for a couple weeks...I hope!

Duffy
December 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Spud, I have the urges to upgrade my equipment and get other types of things, but I am trying to be more selective in my purchases, and I try to get the best quality I can afford. I have significantly upgraded my equipment recently.

So I guess I don't so much succumb to my urges as I plan well thought out upgrade purchases, and I negotiate, often, outstanding deals.

When I get the urge to buy something real expensive, I usually curb myself and find something much more reasonable and negotiate the best deal.

Tig
December 17th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I don't think we can "stop the urge" to buy new gear. We all know that GAS never sleeps! I feel if we go out and buy a bunch of stuff too rapidly, we may not spend enough "one on one" time to saver the whole experience, versus if we buy something, get to know it, focusing on just that one thing at a time.

I'm no saint in the GAS department, but have to struggle with my inner belief that to be happy in life, ya' gotta' be happy in your own skin;
AKA: Be happy with what ya' got instead of looking at what ya' ain't got. :lecture

(then again, I could be nuts!) :messedup:

Eric
December 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I don't think we can "stop the urge" to buy new gear. We all know that GAS never sleeps! I feel if we go out and buy a bunch of stuff too rapidly, we may not spend enough "one on one" time to saver the whole experience, versus if we buy something, get to know it, focusing on just that one thing at a time.

I'm no saint in the GAS department, but have to struggle with my inner belief that to be happy in life, ya' gotta' be happy in your own skin;
AKA: Be happy with what ya' got instead of looking at what ya ain't got. :lecture

(then again, I could be nuts!) :messedup:
Yeah, a lot of this is quite true. I've found back in the CD days that if I got more than 1 or 2 CDs at a time, I would focus on and enjoy all of them less than if I only got a couple.

And yeah, the happy-in-your-own-skin thing is right on, but pretty hard to do.

Duffy
December 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Tig stated, quote: Be happy with what ya' got instead of looking at what ya ain't got. unquote.

This is very true. A lot of our favorite guitarists didn't have hardly anything when they started out, but they made something out of it. Greatness, it has been said, often comes out of adversity. Real hard times have been known to produce some very mentionable achievements.

A lot of us are not exactly what you would call "bad off", far from it. Also some of us are struggling pretty hard, especially these days.

My personal experience has been that recently I lost almost everything I had, as a consequence of the type of divorce my lawyer was able to negotiate according to Pennsylvania law. I lost everything from my entire life that I had accumulated, except the stuff that I had gotten out of my marital property before I left there. I got most of my musical gear. I lost untold amounts of really good stuff, including power tools and a lot of expensive stuff and things from my childhood on that had a lot of value to only me. I got to keep what I had in my possession and had to forfiet everything left at the house, including the house. I did not want the house. I'm not crying about it. I made out super excellently in the terms of my divorce and kept some of my major possessions and all of my financial assets and income, completely unencumbered. One lucky dude.

But I have had to turn the page, and be happy with what I have got and not look back at what I no longer have.

I have been much happier being unencumbered with all the things I had accumulated and lost, surprisingly.

So I looked at what I have and said to myself, "I'm happy with this". I didn't dwell upon my loss, including the things that around this same time were stolen from me by a relative I took in and tried to help out. I couldn't look back on the thousands of dollars worth of stuff I lost and tear myself up, it would be futile and unproductive. I moved on. Turned the page.

I have had to spend a lot of money to replace almost all of my power and hand tools, and a lot of other of my "main" possessions. I got sometimes less high quality things out of necessity and some things I got were way nicer. I lost all of my camera gear including several Nikon camera bodies and a bunch of great lenses and a great powerful flash unit, for example. I moved forward and bought a much nicer Nikon DSLR and three lenses so far and a super great flash unit.

Yes, I have urges to get new stuff to replace the stuff that I lost, like all my skiing gear. I used to be a ski instructor.

I know what it is to not have things and be happy with what I have. I have been very fortunate and have found a wonderful person to be with in my fiance Charity. She is a very beautiful person. Supportive, etc. Everything my ex wife wasn't. Charity appreciates my love of music and encourages me to acquire higher quality gear in my purchases. So when gas attacks I try to step back and make sure I'm upgrading my collection, not just adding more of the same stuff.

I have been fortunate to get some great new stuff, including guitars. Gassing for stuff is a reality and of course it has to be curbed. There is nothing wrong with nice new stuff. Fortunately I am able to afford to replace stuff and acquire new stuff, including guitars, as I move forward.

I'm certainly not ashamed of that and haven't felt a lot of buyer's remorse.

When you lose practically everything, you don't mind it when you can get some new nice stuff, and not have to be satisfied with some junk. I've had to do both recently, but most recently my financial situation has greatly improved.

I'll tell you what, there's nothing wrong with being financially secure and comfortable, and having a decent amount of disposable income.

So when gas attacks and you have the urge to buy a nice guitar, it's your business , in my opinion, how you handle it. I'm lucky, I can indulge myself. I can also smile and be happy with what I have. But I want to move forward and try to get some new things. Not that I will ever replace everything I have lost. I have walked across the coals. You can't go back.

Personally, I don't indulge in my gas by spending money I don't have.

Like Tig says, you sometimes have to be happy with what you have, and remember that a lot of our guitar heros didn't have real good or real nice stuff when they started out, but they made very satisfying and self actualizing music with the stuff they had.

If you have Direct TV, Buddy Guy just had a GC special on cfhannel 101 every day and he talks about when he was a kid in the Mississippi Delta, South of Memphis, and was actually dirt poor, living near the cotton fields. He had some real funky seminal gear, but he stuck to his aspirations, despite the adversities and became one of the greatest living guitar players and now has an awesome collection of incredible guitars.

So if you have gas you probably have aspiration. Gas isn't a bad thing, keep it within your means and within the perspective of your bigger picture.

There is nothing wrong with having money and nice things. But money never bought you happiness; and I never heard of poverty buying it either.

So, in my opinion, gas is not a bad thing and it's probably mostly a good thing. Just make sure you have the money to support it, or get an education or a job that leads to you having increased purchasing power. In the meantime be happy with what you have.

For many many years all I had was a very funky, junky acoustic guitar that was either free or cost about five dollars. I had a lot of fun with that guitar but always enjoyed playing really fine instruments, just didn't have the money or the plan to get one.

Today I can afford to buy nicer guitars.

Tig
December 17th, 2010, 12:12 PM
My personal experience has been that recently I lost almost everything I had, as a consequence of the type of divorce my lawyer was able to negotiate according to Pennsylvania law. I lost everything from my entire life that I had accumulated, except the stuff that I had gotten out of my marital property before I left there.

I'll never understand how a divorce judge can grant such atrocious, one sided divorce decrees. Some state's laws are barbaric and unjust.

One lucky dude.

I understand how great it is to be free from the past and the wonderful difference being with a positive, caring soul mate. I'm also a lucky dude!

Personally, I don't indulge in my gas by spending money I don't have.

I'm also a bit old fashioned when it comes to spending. Cash and carry, baby!

There is nothing wrong with having money and nice things. But money never bought you happiness; and I never heard of poverty buying it either.

So, in my opinion, gas is not a bad thing and it's probably mostly a good thing.

In the meantime be happy with what you have.

Ah, so wise you are with The GAS, young Skywalker!
Nice to see you getting your life back, keeping things positive and in perspective, Duffy. :AOK

Jx2
December 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Duffy I completely understand. When I was with my son's mom I sacrificed everything mostly because I knew it was a relationship on cracked ice. I gave up on playing music, sold my firearm collection during a time I was taking steps/class's to be a gunsmith and all kinds of stuff. Just to basically make it worse after it fell through.

It took me awhile to adjust after the fact and I did spend more nights than Id like to admit in the bottom of a bottle. Something I hadnt done since my son was born.

Today, I got a great girl who supports me in every fashion. I get my son alot more than most Dads in my situation. The only complaint is Ive worked 2 weeks in 2010. Ive had 3 interviews at burger joints and they wont hire me. Luckly, my girl has one of the best factory jobs in the area. We struggle but we make it. Im sure she's stressed between work, school and now being pregnant and I look everyday for a job. But the household attitude is great. Fights are few and far between and normaly over something very trivial. We normaly laugh about it after the fact.

That is the main reason why I trade and trade and trade. I just dont have the funds to buy new gear. When something is collecting dust and I see something I want I just try and trade for it. Now that Im playing bass again, and really feeling this is where the majority of my attention belongs. Im looking to acquire a acoustic guitar and move everything else. Really though all I want is a Dean Hillsboro J-bass. After x-mas, Im going to post some stuff on CL, maybe here. Im a little cautious about here though just because Im new and I know Id be hesitant from buying from a newbie.

Beerman
December 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Duffy I completely understand. When I was with my son's mom I sacrificed everything mostly because I knew it was a relationship on cracked ice. I gave up on playing music, sold my firearm collection during a time I was taking steps/class's to be a gunsmith and all kinds of stuff. Just to basically make it worse after it fell through.

It took me awhile to adjust after the fact and I did spend more nights than Id like to admit in the bottom of a bottle. Something I hadnt done since my son was born.

Today, I got a great girl who supports me in every fashion. I get my son alot more than most Dads in my situation. The only complaint is Ive worked 2 weeks in 2010. Ive had 3 interviews at burger joints and they wont hire me. Luckly, my girl has one of the best factory jobs in the area. We struggle but we make it. Im sure she's stressed between work, school and now being pregnant and I look everyday for a job. But the household attitude is great. Fights are few and far between and normaly over something very trivial. We normaly laugh about it after the fact.

That is the main reason why I trade and trade and trade. I just dont have the funds to buy new gear. When something is collecting dust and I see something I want I just try and trade for it. Now that Im playing bass again, and really feeling this is where the majority of my attention belongs. Im looking to acquire a acoustic guitar and move everything else. Really though all I want is a Dean Hillsboro J-bass. After x-mas, Im going to post some stuff on CL, maybe here. Im a little cautious about here though just because Im new and I know Id be hesitant from buying from a newbie.

Dude, I don't have it great but I know it's better than your situation. I sincerely hope 2011 is awesome for you and your family. You seem to have it together. Besides, stuff is just stuff and can be replaced. A tight, loving family can't be broken and certainly can't be replaced.

Jx2
December 17th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks, I just got off the phone with a temp agency. Guy is going to try and get me back into a place that only hires through them. Should know something by Tuesday. Only sucky part is it takes you on average 3-5 years to hit $10 a hour.

Tig
December 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I just got off the phone with a temp agency. Guy is going to try and get me back into a place that only hires through them. Should know something by Tuesday. Only sucky part is it takes you on average 3-5 years to hit $10 a hour.

You know the ol' saying:
A half a loaf is better than no loaf at all!

A few years ago, if you asked me if I'd consider working nights and every weekend, I would have blown the conversation off. :whatever: Then, I got layed off. In the past, it only took 2-4 weeks to get a new job. After bouncing between a few part time temp positions and unemployment for almost 2 years, it was a no brainer to jump into the job I have had since January of this year!

Everything will work out, but the question is always "When?".

MAXIFUNK
December 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Duffy having seen how divorce is handled in PA with some of my cousins I know how you can get rapped in court.

JX2 I hope things turn around for you. This year has been very hard for a lot of my friends and family as well.

stingx
December 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I used to try to contain the urge but I just gave up. If a particular piece of gear is crying out to me for love well then I have to dispense the love in spades.

deeaa
December 21st, 2010, 01:36 AM
I'm just looking at this Ibanez kinda SG-type axe for a hundred on sale locally...looks like a killer guitar for the price. At least I could use it for some weirdo project for sure. I sure don't need a new axe but what the hell. It's fun to build stuff.

I just started to build a 1:48 scale Flying Fortress w/my kid who's soon 6 and getting interested in model building. It's great fun after a long while, I really got into finding what are the correct colors to use, looking for color photos on the net...it's much easier building models these days when you can get accurate photos off the net to confirm what color things are. The instructions on the kits themselves are merely close, but right off the bat I found the instructions used too dark a green for cockpit floor, and for instance the bomb sight isn't gray but black in reality, etc...

I digress. But, what I mean is, I guess you can always direct your urge to get something new towards other things besides guitars.

markb
December 21st, 2010, 01:46 AM
Poverty and New Zealand pricing do it for me :(

GF'sUnderdog
December 25th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I have serious GAS. Whenever I suggest I need to buy a new guitar, my wife gives me that look (you know the one I'm talking about) and says, "Why another one? You hardly play 3 of the 5 you have now?"

I recently went back to work after being laid off for almost 2 years. There's something that will kill GAS in a heartbeat. You learn you have to do without some luxuries to feed the family. Until I get caught up, I will have to be content at looking at and playing the ones I have. But someday - SOMEDAY!- I'm gonna get that LP... and Gretsch... and ES335...

DrumBob
December 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I have asked myself this question a lot lately. I have blown a lot of money over the years on gear I probably didn't need, and wondered if I'm trying to compensate for something missing in my childhood or youth.

I think one needs to rearrange priorities and learn to be happy with what you have. I can see buying gear if you need it to make music and have thought it out and gotten your best deal, but to walk into a music store and spend $500-1000 or more on a guitar on impulse is not going to happen anymore for me, at least until the inheritance money comes in one of these days. I find myself wanting another Les Paul Junior, and that cherry red exclusive Gibson reissue at American Musical Supply is very tempting at only $1299, but I can't swing it. I'd love to snag one of those cool Zemaitis-like Alden abalone top guitars too at $539, but will wait until one comes up used for less.

How do you stop GAS-ing and buying gear? Experience serious pangs of guilt. That'll do it every time.