PDA

View Full Version : I now have a chicken.

hubberjub
December 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I came home on my lunch break today to let the dog out and grab a bite to eat. I find the cat staring out the window at what looks to be a very large pigeon. When I get closer I realize that it's not a pigeon, it's a chicken. Mind you, I do not live out in the sticks, my house is in the middle of the city. This is not a proper habitat for chickens. After about ten minutes of looking like a fool I manage to catch the chicken and place her in a cat carrier. I walk around to all of the neighbors and even ask the local mail carrier but no one knows of anyone who has chickens. So I do what any rational person would do and I take it back to work with me. The chicken spent the rest of the day in my office. I really don't know what to do. It's kind of odd since my wife and I just bought a house out in the country and she has been talking about getting chickens. I'm going to take a couple of days and see if anyone starts asking about a chicken but I think this might be a sign. Either way, I've decided that December 14th is National Take your Chicken to Work Day.

Robert
December 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Not this?

http://www.failfunnies.com/images/chicken-head-fail.jpg

bcdon
December 14th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Would you like some pickin with that chicken? :-)
s2WQk5M2OCk

Katastrophe
December 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Just when you think you've read every wacky occurrence on the net, a Fretter gets a random chicken, and takes it to work.

This has got to be the oddest story on theFret. I love it!

Have fun with the new pet, and don't take it with you to the KFC drive-thru. Might be a little traumatic for the poor bird.

oldguy
December 15th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Wow, what a great story.........

now that your wife knows you'll catch and save them, she'll probably turn some more loose around there....:rollover

guitarhack
December 15th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Get a rooster and you've got free eggs!

poodlesrule
December 15th, 2010, 06:08 AM
You have to give it a name now.

Years ago, coming back from work, I found a chicken in my bedroom, ... I kept the slider window of my studio appartment open and I apparently shared my balcony with an Hispanic family raising the avian in their section of it.

Bird just walked back home. I never saw it again. I bet it did not end well for him....

R_of_G
December 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I guess I get to prove myself the most immature fretter by being the first to say... don't choke that chicken.

Thank you and goodnight.:thwap

Tig
December 15th, 2010, 08:22 AM
So I do what any rational person would do and I take it back to work with me.

I've decided that December 14th is National Take your Chicken to Work Day.

I'd buy some feed and fatten the chicken up,
because December 28th is National Eat You New Chicken Day. :hungry

ZMAN
December 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Do you live near a highway? I commuted every day for 30 years for work, and I often saw live or dead chickens along the highway. There are trucks that carry the live chickens from the farms to the processing plants. Sometimes they are able to get loose and usually don't make the jump from the truck. You should call yours "Lucky".
Last summer I was doing some yardwork at my Dad's place. He lives in a city of 400,000, and very Metropolitan. I was at the back of the yard raking and I saw something scurry across the neighbours yard. My hunter's peripheral vision caught the movement, and I saw another. I walked over to the fence and looked and the neighbour has about 6 or seven running around. I know it is against the law in that city but there they were.

hubberjub
December 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Do you live near a highway? I commuted every day for 30 years for work, and I often saw live or dead chickens along the highway. There are trucks that carry the live chickens from the farms to the processing plants. Sometimes they are able to get loose and usually don't make the jump from the truck.

That's a good suggestion but the Susquehanna River separates me from the nearest highway. I now think it must have escaped from someone in the neighborhood. I found out that people are allowed to keep chickens in the city but not roosters. It looks like my wife is getting her chicken early.

Get a rooster and you've got free eggs!

Chickens actually lay eggs without needing a rooster. They just wont be fertilized.

R_of_G
December 15th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Chickens actually lay eggs without needing a rooster. They just wont be fertilized.

Frank Costanza: Let me understand, you got the hen, the chicken and the rooster. The rooster goes with the chicken. So, who's having sex with the hen?

George Costanza: Why don't we talk about it another time.

Frank Costanza: But you see my point here? You only hear of a hen, a rooster and a chicken. Something's missing!

Mrs. Ross: Something's missing all right.

Mr. Ross: They're all chickens. The rooster has sex with all of them.

Frank Costanza: That's perverse.

duhvoodooman
December 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hey, Hub! Thanks for this genuinely weird thread! :thumbsup

hubberjub
December 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hey, Hub! Thanks for this genuinely weird thread! :thumbsup

It was the least I could do to close out a genuinely weird day for myself.

ZMAN
December 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I don't know how much eggs cost down there but here they are under 2 bucks a dozen. I bet Chicken feed is a lot more than that.
Do you need any recipes. I have a killer one for Spatchcock Chicken.

hubberjub
December 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I don't know how much eggs cost down there but here they are under 2 bucks a dozen. I bet Chicken feed is a lot more than that.

You're probably right. But since when do guitar players factor in rational thought? Why buy the eggs when you can get the chicken for free, right? (I think that's how it goes.) If anyone is interested in meeting the chicken here is a link to my wife's blog. (http://networkedblogs.com/bS7Y8)

Heywood Jablomie
December 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I got a cockatiel the same way. It landed at the door of my then-wife's place of work. Kept the little bugger until we moved out of state, giving it to our neighbor.

poodlesrule
December 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM
If anyone is interested in meeting the chicken here is a link to my wife's blog. (http://networkedblogs.com/bS7Y8)

So... what's the chicken's name?

Nice idea to add garlic to the curried squash soup BTW!

EDIT: "Explorer" would be a good name.

Katastrophe
December 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Y'all, give the chicken a break! I'm a huge meat eater, and I'm all for a big ol' plate of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans, but I think this clucker needs a reprieve from the fryer or oven.

Whaddaya think?

Tig
December 15th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Y'all, give the chicken a break!
Whaddaya think?

Never! Chickens act all tame and nice when you're around, but when you turn your back... Blamo! You just can't trust those evil %$#*& birds.

http://www.renegadechickens.com/chickens/Toons/foghorn.jpg

hubberjub
December 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Until the chicken starts dabbling in explosives she has been pardoned.

hubberjub
December 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM
So... what's the chicken's name?

My wife has named the chicken Genevieve as that was the show my wife was watching when I called her with the news.

poodlesrule
December 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM
You just can't trust those evil %$#*& birds.

I used to feel the same way, until I read Rendez-Vous with Rama

bcdon
December 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Man, I love that Foghorn Leghorn! That is one smart chicken. ;-)

-LCsiWL6gn0

Never! Chickens act all tame and nice when you're around, but when you turn your back... Blamo! You just can't trust those evil %$#*& birds.

http://www.renegadechickens.com/chickens/Toons/foghorn.jpg