PDA

View Full Version : Very cool version of Cliffs of Dover

Cranium
October 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
This is the only other one I seen besides the Austin city limits and this is a really nice one, maybe even better then the Austin one, very long but nice intro - http://youtube.com/watch?v=mHjDHdu8IQM

Spudman
October 27th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Ya, I heard the guy from Green Day do almost exactly the same version. ROFLMAO:D :D

Guys that can do this kind of stuff standing up absolutely astound me.

Cranium
October 27th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Its just amazing how he comes up with that long intro and makes it sound so cool, I wonder if there are any Eric Johnson fans here, you like Eric Johnson Spud? ;)

Spudman
October 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Its just amazing how he comes up with that long intro and makes it sound so cool, I wonder if there are any Eric Johnson fans here, you like Eric Johnson Spud? ;)

Yes and no. Mostly yes. I have several of his albums and mostly they are pretty good. Very talented guy to say the least. I really wanted to hear the record he trashed before Venus Isle came out.

I was working with an engineer who had worked with him and knew all about the recording and how he wasn't satisfied with what he had done. He canned the project and went to work on Venus Isle. So there is something out there in a vault somewhere that I'd like to hear. The engineer shared a little of what was going on at the time with Eric and it made me want to hear that material.

So ya I like EJ.

Tone2TheBone
October 27th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I've seen Eric once and have seen him many times on video and everytime I've seen him he has not looked completely happy with his performance (read tone). His talent is extraordinary. I tend to feel however that (maybe), he is his own worst enemy. He is absolutely chronic with his sound. If the electrons aren't flowing like he expects he freaks and that's too bad. I would really love to hear all his canned projects and see him have way too much fun onstage. Then again maybe he's got too much on his mind I dunno. Either way I love his playing.

jpfeifer
October 28th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Count me in. I'm a huge Eric Johnson fan! I think that he is one of the best all-around guitar players living today. He impresses me because he has melded so much stuff in to one style. His single-note lines are impressive enough, but his chord work is equally cool. I was lucky enough to see him live several times when I lived in Austin for a short time, and even met him. He's a really nice guy.

-- Jim