PDA

View Full Version : When you can't play anything else

sunvalleylaw
December 15th, 2010, 11:33 PM
. . . what songs do you turn to.

Busy holiday times right now. After having a burst of energy toward learning more guitar in October and November, I became stuck again due to getting ski season and team up off the ground again, and multiple kid commitments, holiday commitments etc.

During times like these, I still try to play a little something almost every day if I can. But when it is late, I am tired, etc., I cannot focus on new material or lessons. Then I turn to a couple/few old stand by songs. Do you? If so, what are yours?

Mine are:

Heart of Gold a warm up song for me since almost the beginning.

Gravity by Mayer. It is one I can get lost in, and noodle around with in the dark or almost dark, letting it take me wherever. I also enjoy the chords, and trying different ways to play the rhythms.

Red Haired Boy a bluegrass fiddle tune. I skip the capo and just play it in first position. It is a good song for my right hand, picking technique, and timing, and fun to play.

If I can't get to anything else, I try to play at least these. Howzabout you?

Jimi75
December 16th, 2010, 02:24 AM
You tell it like it is. We often lack the time to start new stuff.
I switch to songs like Little Wing or The Wind Cries Mary. When I don't have time to learn new songs, I try at least to play the a.m. songs in a different way, to find substitue chords or play them in different styles, like for e.g. Jazz or Swing.

deeaa
December 16th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I just don't play. Leaving the guitar aside for a few weeks or a month now and then only improves your playing.

The start of the month I played several hours during weekend, haven't played anything in two weeks since aside from recording a solo and some rhythms for ACDC's Shot Down in Flames cover. I credit doing rather well with the solo - recorded it in a matter of minutes - to not having touched the guitar in a feek before that.

And, to be honest, if I play something at home, it's hardly ever covers. I sing covers at home, and then I play acoustic to back it up, say maybe once a month, but on electric...I just play my own stuff 99% of the time,

R_of_G
December 16th, 2010, 10:29 AM
The "standby" songs for me are typically:

"Our Prayer" by Albert Ayler. This is typically the first thing I play when I pick up any guitar to get my fingers loosened up. Also, it being an Albert Ayler song, it tends to get me in an improvisational mindset so even if I'm not planning on learning/practicing any new songs, playing this one more often than not leads me into some form of free improv which is always beneficial to work on.

"Please Please Me" by the Beatles (though my arrangement is closer to Link Wray's version)

"You Are My Sunshine" - This one is my "noodling around" song as I often change the way I play it, and lately have had fun pairing it up with "Over the Rainbow" which allows for some interesting segues no matter which one I start with.

Retro Hound
December 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
"Amazing Grace" "Red River Valley" "Wayfaring Stranger" "House of the Rising Sun" "Sunshine of Your Love" and lately, the opening of "Hawaii Five-0."

Katastrophe
December 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
The vocal line to "Amazing Grace" is my standby. I worked it out on the day of my grandfather's funeral. It makes me happy to play it now, as I remember all the fun stuff we did together as a kid.

Other than that, I just noodle, and see where the muse takes me. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's bad, but it's always playing! Occasionally, I'll stumble upon a rhythm of a tune that way, then I'll hop on YouTube and figure it out.

Spudman
December 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM
At times like this I don't go to a particular song. I instead look for a different chord and start there. I just see where it takes me. If I go nowhere I look for another chord. That way I can keep a part of my brain active that allows me to be creative instead of falling back into the same old routine. Always forward Scout. :agree

Eric
December 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM
You know, these days I usually just start mindlessly practicing whatever solo or part I don't quite have down. Right now, that would be Photograph by Def Leppard, Hard to Handle by the Black Crowes, or maybe parts of All Right Now by Free.

But if I'm not that focused, I'll just wank around with open chords and fingerpicking, Blackbird, Day Tripper, or Silent Lucidity.

MAXIFUNK
December 16th, 2010, 01:14 PM
"Amazing Grace" "Red River Valley" "Wayfaring Stranger" "House of the Rising Sun" "Sunshine of Your Love" and lately, the opening of "Hawaii Five-0."

Amazing Grace Marcus Miller's version perfect way to get into great bass flow for a very long time.