PDA

View Full Version : Copying compensation fees...

deeaa
December 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Oh damn.

They just released information that the copying compensation fees collected will be extended to harddisks as well.

That will mean about a 20 buck raise in the price of a typical hard drive.
However, they also said the raise won't be added to disks under 250G because those were deemed too small for storaging copied MP3's and movies and thus they were freed from the additional charge, which in turn lowers the proportionate price of SSD drives in relation to old-style mechanical harddrives, which is sort of good I guess, maybe we can get rid of them oldskool mechanical drives soon altogether.

But, once again I see it's simply so throroughly accepted that people will pirate music and films etc. anyway that they even make taxes etc. so they can capitalize on even such 'semi-illegal' stuff.

The law indeed is hazy on that one, but basically, it grants a normal person like me the right to copy as much as I wish...only taxes it and then at the same time criminalizes the 'intent to distribute' in volume, which I read as 'it's illegal to host thousands of ripped/copied media etc. files on your web server'.

They should just scrap the entire thing already and just make it legal to copy and spread entirely without punishments, I say, everyone seems to be doing it en masse anyways, if even the government thinks that people who have less than 250G of pirated music aren't even worth taxing&everybody has that much anyways, only those who have gigabytes of the stuff...

Jx2
December 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I dont like "borrowing" music, but from time to time I'll do it especially those hard to find out of print issues. The biggest part for me is man I love the cover art, the liner notes all the other stuff you dont really get, yes you can find that stuff but sometimes I like cranking the radio laying in bed and reading that stuff(when it amounts to anything)like some people read a book before going to sleep.

However, I agree this stuff is out of controll. Personaly I think they have as much chance of getting this stopped as the BAF has of stopping drug trafficing, especially drugs like weed. I agree they should just put a additional tax, or heck even just raise the prices in general with a portion going to whoever for anything that can be used to store or pirate entertainment. Either way people will complain but they wont stop buying the product. Just look at the increase on products like tabacco. In all honestly thats one of their only chances to make sure they see something from all of this.