PDA

View Full Version : Fender American Standard Statocaster 2010 (B string "open" sounds muffled )

camelman
December 19th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Hi,
Recently, I bought a 2010 American Standard, brand new . The strings mounted on the guitar, are Fender original (0.42 --- 0.09).
I noticed recently while playing on this guitar, a strange sound coming from the B string (open): the string "if" empty, sounds "dull", and when I pinch the same string on the first fret the problem disappears, and so on all the following frets, the B string sounds OK. The other strings on all the frets are also correct.
So the problem is that the B string (open) sounds muffled.
I'm interested in feedback from you guys and especially your tips to solve that.

regards
camelman

Katastrophe
December 19th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Change your strings, and check the nut slot at the B string. My guess is that it's binding up just a tiny bit there, and not allowing the string to vibrate freely.

Welcome to the Fret!

duhvoodooman
December 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Yup, sure sounds like a problem with the nut.

camelman
December 19th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Thank you for the reply.
In fact, I think I'll replace the original (Fender) strings by strings from Elixir brand (I've been using this brand for a long time and never had a problem).
There might be another possibility is that the fretboard is rosewood with a thick varnish layer:and I am wondering if there would not be a little polish that enhances a bit the height of the first fret.
In all ways, I'm going to change the strings first and I'll let you know.
Thank you again.

camelman
December 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
yes, you maybe right duhvoodooman !
In that case, what should I do !
Perhaps, if I play a little longer with the guitar (pulling hard the B string on the first fret), it will be fixed.
Amazing thing with a brand new guitar !
I still obviously the solution to return to the store where I bought this guitar two weeks ago because the warranty should cover this kind of problem.

markb
December 19th, 2010, 03:55 PM
It sounds like the nut slot wants cleaning and possibly a little filing to improve the break angle. Try getting a piece of fine emery or wet and dry paper. Fold it in half and run it gently through the nut slot taking care to contact both sides. If that doesn't sort it take it back to the shop. If they're any good they'll do it on the spot. About a 5 minute job even if it needs filing. If the nut is so bad that it needs replacement it'll be covered under warranty.

You say the fingerboard is "rosewood with a thick varnish layer"? Rosewood boards are usually unfinished. Do you perhaps have a maple board? It's possible that a finish or polishing compound buildup around the nut is clooging the slot. The emery paper treatment should deal with that.