PDA

View Full Version : Song of the Year

marnold
December 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
As a complement/supplement to Robert's album of the year thread, I thought a song of the year thread might be interesting. For me it has to be "Song of Yesterday" by Black Country Communion. 8:33 of pure gold. Here's a live version:
S6jqMiolifo

R_of_G
December 20th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Good companion post Marnold. Even harder choice than putting my top albums in order, but I will give it a try.

I think I have to give the honor to the title track from the Bambi Molesters' "As the Dark Wave Swells."

By combining their knack for making excellent surf rock with solid horn charts and a lush string section, they created a track that could easily fit onto any Ennio Morricone soundtrack, which is fitting since the place I discovered this band for myself was on a compilation Morricone tribute album.

8b1r7t4LT1g

If I were to give a silver medal here, it'd be to Sleigh Bells for "Tell 'Em." In one of the most interesting experiments I've heard in a long time, Sleigh Bells combined live guitar with electronic beats and over-the-top sugary sweet female pop singing and created one hell of a hybrid. This is the opening track on the album and though not all their songs sound the same, this one does a great job of presenting their basic aesthetic in three minutes.

It may not be to everyone's liking (in fact, if I had to guess, I'd suspect most people here will hate it) but it sure is different and if pop music sounded more like this, listening to the radio wouldn't be such a torturous experience.

2kJ05P-71gY

Eric
December 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Whatever songs were put out by the Jonas Brothers and Justin Bieber, obviously. End of thread.

Tig
December 22nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Whatever songs were put out by the Jonas Brothers and Justin Bieber, obviously. End of thread.

Eric, you evil thread killer! Had to throw down the trump cards, eh? :poke

Here's my 2010 favorite little song that Little Steven Van Zandt exposed me to...

cZIGS90XXp4

Robert
December 22nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
The Darkness, by Renegade Creation:

wah5t0s8BCY

Beerman
December 22nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
Eric, you evil thread killer! Had to throw down the trump cards, eh? :poke

Here's my 2010 favorite little song that Little Steven Van Zandt exposed me to...

cZIGS90XXp4
I really enjoyed listening to this. There's not many songs that I hear just once and instantly like and as a huge Beatles fan, I hear that influence in this song. May need to pay a few bucks and download a few others to try out.
Thanks

sunvalleylaw
December 22nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I love Len Price 3. I didn't know about this new one. Cool!

I have not gotten into a ton of new music this year. I like this one though.

qR9DjdMrpHg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9DjdMrpHg

Kinda has an early REM mixed with Springsteen vibe. I am not sure it will be a forever memorable song, but has caught my ear.

That SleighBells song is interesting. Not sure I could do it all the time, but interesting. I definitely like that Bambi song though.

Speaking of pop songs, this was my favorite this year, though it is not available over here to my knowledge. Good, well crafted, clean pop that reminds me of a summer day.

oZq6D6IjUlA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZq6D6IjUlA

Beerman
December 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
I've been trying to find and enjoy new music or music just a bit off my normal routine and this thread is a wonderful, extra benefit of joining this forum.
I love it and want more.

R_of_G
December 22nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
That SleighBells song is interesting. Not sure I could do it all the time, but interesting.

When I first read about them I wasn't sure if I'd love it or it hate it but I knew it was something I needed to hear because it sounded like an interesting experiment. They're not a band I sit around at home and listen to, but for long drives or bike rides, it's perfect.

Also, as much as I consider the hybridization experiment a success, the thing that hooks me the most about their album is that Derek Miller's guitar playing is quite good and catchy. He could easily put together a straightforward rock band in any number of styles that would be just as listenable.

Tig
December 22nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Here's another addictive underground garage song (not best song finalist though)
The Twistaroos -(Lets Go) Where The Action Is
i38bo7CQMVE

Eric
December 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. There's some good music in those songs suggested. I like the two suggestions from Tig -- I guess I like my music straightforward.

R of G, that Sleigh Bells song sounds like some weird mash-up of The Go Team, My Bloody Valentine, and...maybe the Ting Tings or something? Animal Collective? I'm not sure, but it reminds me of a lot of stuff. I guess that's kind of the point, huh?

Steve, I thought of R.E.M. too with that Decemberists tune, because I think there's a repeating part in it that's the exact same as The One I Love.

Anyway, good stuff!

R_of_G
December 23rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
R of G, that Sleigh Bells song sounds like some weird mash-up of The Go Team, My Bloody Valentine, and...maybe the Ting Tings or something? Animal Collective? I'm not sure, but it reminds me of a lot of stuff. I guess that's kind of the point, huh?

Yeah, they're one of those bands for which a critic can go to the overused phrase "their music is an eclectic mix" and actually be correct.

It's been an interesting year to read reviews to see what terms critics/reviewers have come up with to try to categorize their music which has served as a great example of why I hate genre tags. Terms like "electro-rock" and "dance-punk" are common in reviews of Sleigh Bells, but they don't mean much to me.

Eric
December 23rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Yeah, they're one of those bands for which a critic can go to the overused phrase "their music is an eclectic mix" and actually be correct.

It's been an interesting year to read reviews to see what terms critics/reviewers have come up with to try to categorize their music which has served as a great example of why I hate genre tags. Terms like "electro-rock" and "dance-punk" are common in reviews of Sleigh Bells, but they don't mean much to me.
Hmm. I wonder what genre tags would be applied to LCD Soundsystem and Why? The latter in particular always confused me when it came to categorizing.

R_of_G
December 23rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Hmm. I wonder what genre tags would be applied to LCD Soundsystem and Why? The latter in particular always confused me when it came to categorizing.

I'd expect if you did a random sampling of a dozen or so reviews of each band, you'd find at least three or four different genre tags, possibly even some that are contradictory.

Everything in my iTunes library that isn't an audiobook, a speech, or a lecture, carries the single genre tag of "music."

Tig
December 23rd, 2010, 09:58 AM

rateyourmusic.com throws in the genres, "Noise Pop, Dance-Pop, Lo-Fi, Electropop", just to keep everyone guessing. :thwap

R_of_G
December 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
rateyourmusic.com throws in the genres, "Noise Pop, Dance-Pop, Lo-Fi, Electropop", just to keep everyone guessing. :thwap

Have seen those as well and I couldn't disagree more with "Lo-Fi." I'm a big fan of most of what is considered part of the lo-fi resurgence, but Sleigh Bells couldn't be further from that considering their reliance on electronics and technology in the creation of beats over which to play and sing.

Sure, their highly-successful demos were recorded DIY on some pretty lo-fi equipment, but too many reviewers want to throw any DIY act into the lo-fi movement, but there's more to lo-fi than the recording process, there's what's actually being recorded to be considered.

guitarhack
December 23rd, 2010, 06:38 PM
I really enjoyed listening to this. There's not many songs that I hear just once and instantly like and as a huge Beatles fan, I hear that influence in this song. May need to pay a few bucks and download a few others to try out.
Thanks

I hear some Kinks influence there as well, especially lyrically. I thought it was 1966 again for a moment. lol

Tig
December 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I hear some Kinks influence there as well, especially lyrically. I thought it was 1966 again for a moment. lol

Yes, a Beatles/Kinks cross with a touch of the Stones' "Mother's Little Helper" added for good measure. Most of the latest Len Price 3 album has the same overall sound, but with a slight modern twist.
That reminds me... I saw the Kinks play in '81 and they still had it goin'. :DR

R_of_G
December 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM

Saw them in '89 and they still rocked. :rockya

Tig
January 3rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
For fans of Beatle-esk music, there is always Cheap Trick, the band that is never afraid to play it.
They are much better sounding now than in the Live at Budokan days.

BN9gaJ2z58s

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Yes, a Beatles/Kinks cross with a touch of the Stones' "Mother's Little Helper" added for good measure. Most of the latest Len Price 3 album has the same overall sound, but with a slight modern twist.

The album I bought last year had a lot of Who influence too. Sometimes "Happy Jack" era Who.