PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic, Northeast US weather this week-end....?!!?

poodlesrule
December 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Fretters on the Atlantic coast and in the Northeast take notice...!

I was just checking a weather blog from the weathwerunderground site. Someone there routinely checks different weather predictive models. He says that a major storm may hit the Atlantic coast and the Northeast over the week-end (Gulf coast ->FL-> East coast. Here is a visual rendition (http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/tropical/plots/ec850_16.png).

May be wrong, but the FSU source seems credible.

If you plan on traveling...

EDIT TO ADD: this is the blog (http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1712#commenttop) with pics.

kidsmoke
December 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
Nice, I'm flying to Boston Christmas evening. That'd be right where the red spot is.:thwap

MAXIFUNK
December 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Well it has been raining for soon to be 6 straight days in LA.
I thought I saw a guy walking 2 camels, 2 tigers, and 2 zebras up the hill near my house. But I could be mistaking since it was so foggy out.

Good luck East Coast looks as if you'll need it.

poodlesrule
December 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM
Nice, I'm flying to Boston Christmas evening. That'd be right where the red spot is.:thwap

Well, if I read the files on the FSU server right, you would be OK Saturday (http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/tropical/plots/ec850_14.png) (the _-14 file).

kidsmoke
December 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
thanks for the info, I looked at the blogcould find no images.

Just noticed that date stamp at the top of the image. So that means I won't be coming home Tuesday Morning!!

Should be a hoot!

poodlesrule
December 21st, 2010, 03:47 PM
thanks for the info, I looked at the blogcould find no images. What point of the weekend is that first shot from?

Not sure.
I am looking here (http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/tropical/plots/), at the "ec850" file set.

The way I read the top info line is something like, in plain English: "Prediction to this date/time".

deeaa
December 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
The weather's f**ed everywhere...they promised -30 for xmas here...never happens...and loads of snow...while everyone and their dog is making for relatives etc. by car...there will be blood...

NWBasser
December 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM
Everyone should come here for X-mas. We don't seem to have any sort of weather...

Just cool and a bit rainy. No storms for the next couple weeks or so.

Spudman
December 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM
Lucky you easterners. All our snow is GONE! It's been pretty nice here...except that isn't good for most of the rest of the country because they are all down stream from us and depend on our snow pack.

Stay alert anyway over in the east and have a very enjoyable holiday...

...and mail your extra snow to: PO Box 549, Spudville Idaho, 12169

Rotor
December 25th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Belknap County, New Hampshire (We're in Central NH)

Winter Storm Watch:

Issued at: 3:16 AM EST 12/25/10, expires at: 12:00 PM EST 12/25/10

Winter storm watch in effect from Sunday evening through monday afternoon,
The NWS in gray has issued a winter storm watch, which is in effect from Sunday evening through Monday afternoon.
Timing: Accumulating snow will arrive early Sunday evening and continue into Monday afternoon.
Snow/ice accums: 6 inches or more snowfall is possible.
Impacts: Roads will be snow covered and slippery.
Precautionary/preparedness actions,
A winter storm watch means there is a potential for significant snow, sleet, or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

Day late but better late than never.... :thumbsup :happy

Spudman
December 25th, 2010, 10:27 AM
37 degrees and mostly sunny today. Merry (brown) Christmas.

piebaldpython
December 25th, 2010, 12:57 PM
The damn storm is taking a more westerly track and getting closer to the East Coast.....the I-95 corridor is looking at 6" with NJ looking mostly around 10". Winter SUCKS!!!!

poodlesrule
December 25th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Poodlesrule is gonna be up early Monday morning: medical exam at 8:00... maybe a foot of snow on the ground/roads!

I am hoping for light traffic.
And I ate way too much cheese in past few months, that's gonna tank my cholesterol readings!

piebaldpython
December 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Update: the track is now more westerly than reported earlier today. I-95 corridor is looking at 8-12" with 12-18 at the Jersey Coast. Blizzard, white-out conditions during part of the day. UGH!!!

poodlesrule
December 25th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Update: the track is now more westerly than reported earlier today. I-95 corridor is looking at 8-12" with 12-18 at the Jersey Coast. Blizzard, white-out conditions during part of the day. UGH!!!

Boston metro forecast shows high wind speed potential.
Local coastal area is said to experience up to 60 mph wind, Monday. Dear, that means high coast erosion. I have been witnessing it in the past two years around Cape Cod, an amazing process.

piebaldpython
December 26th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Boston metro forecast shows high wind speed potential.
Local coastal area is said to experience up to 60 mph wind, Monday. Dear, that means high coast erosion. I have been witnessing it in the past two years around Cape Cod, an amazing process.

I hear ya. We see it down at the Jersey Coast when we go to Atlantic City. You get the right N'easter and say buh-bye to 3 ft of shore....if not more.

kidsmoke
December 26th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Flew in to Boston last night, clear sky, and clear roads. Now i'm up the road from Rotor, waiting to get snowed in.

we've got a big family event down by the coast, that could get messed up.

Hope everyone stays safe!