PDA

View Full Version : Good Computer Speakers?

marnold
December 21st, 2010, 04:38 PM
I've been using an old Sony boombox that I bought in the late 80s for the speakers for my computer for years. It's getting to the point where one channel or the other will almost always be out. I used to be able to fix it, but I think it's just time for a replacement. I don't need anything audiophile quality (this boombox certainly wasn't). I'd like it for some gaming, YouTubes, MP3s, etc. I'd prefer not to spend much more than $100. I'd prefer something that's wired, not Bluetooth. I'll be using the onboard Intel HD sound on my motherboard. 2.1 is sufficient, I don't really have the need/space for surround sound.

guitarhack
December 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM
I'm using M-Audio Studiopro 3's, which I got as part of a recording bundle but are probably about 119.00. They sound great, too.

Spudman
December 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM
Check out your local Best Buy. I found some pretty good Altec Lansing speakers with a subwoofer for around $50-$60. Or for $100 You could even go this way.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+Z506+5.1+Surround+Sound+Speakers+(6-Piece)+-+Black/1215025.p?id=1218236333141&skuId=1215025

I got a set with sub woofer for my wife's computer and it was less than $50 and it sounds good but not as good as the Altec Lansings.

markb
December 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks are amazing desktop speakers if you can find them. I have the cheaper version of the same idea, JBL Creatures. My Imac and the Creatures are my music system at the moment due to a radical life change ;) Visitors are generally impressed and all my visitors tend to be musicians.

Katastrophe
December 21st, 2010, 09:52 PM
+1 for the Altec Lansings. My stepdad has the same set as Spuds described and the sound quality is pretty darn good. The sub was great on games.

Zip
December 21st, 2010, 10:47 PM
I'm still using my old Logitec X530's (link here (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-530-5-1-Speaker-System/dp/B0002WPSCG)) - way under a hundred, sounds excellent.

marnold
December 23rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately, my options were rather limited in Green Bay. I ended up getting a Bose Companion 2 which is just the two speakers (no subwoofer). The bass is nevertheless better than my old boom box, which isn't saying much. I'm listening to/watching Robert's Jet City demo now and it sounds a lot more like my amph now :) There was a 2.1 setup there that I would have liked more but a) it cost almost twice as much and b) there were none in stock anyway.

Ooh, just played some Neverwinter Nights 2. Sounds like a whole new game. Music is better, although the bass can get a bit boomy. The neat thing is that even when the bass gets a bit boomy, the mids/vocals/etc. stay crisp.