PDA

View Full Version : Taking Fundamentals of Music next semester!

Katastrophe
December 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM
I'm stoked! Basic theory, and reading standard music notation. I'm hoping to fill in some gaps in my knowledge of theory.

Reading music ain't necessary in rock n' roll, but I want to know how to write a sentence before breaking the rules to write some poetry.

sunvalleylaw
December 22nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Congrats! I love stuff like that. When the kids are out of the house, I will probably take some classes too.

Jimi75
December 22nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
Congrats on your plans!

Last year I worked myself through William Leavitt's Guitar Method 1,2 & 3 plus I ordered the Real Book Of Jazz guitar.

To be honest - it lifted me up to version Jimi75 2.0! :thumbsup

It's great being able to read notes and rhythm. It's easier than you think and it's fun.

The way is your goal :happy

vroomery
December 22nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
I think the greatest thing about theory for those of us who already make music is that it gives us an explanation. It also helps to connect certain musical concepts logically so that you can expand your playing and creativity.

Katastrophe
December 22nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys!

I really do want to be able to "speak the language" with other musicians, instead of saying, "Well, it's kinda like a, well, sorta type of a G with an added note like this."

Incidentally, I'll be taking the course with the same instructor that I had last semester for Music Appreciation. I think I bugged him a little, 'cause he would demonstrate a concept on the piano, and would often end on the 7th, without resolving back to the root note. I think I was the only one in class that would say, "Arrrrrgggggghh! Resolve it, wouldya?!?!"

I would like to try out for jazz ensemble after this course as an after class, non-credit deal for fun. They encourage improvisation, and the only requirement to join is "some" experience, and the ability to read music.

Incidentally, I'm taking this course as a filler. I'm not able to apply for a spot in my degree program yet, and I have to take 12 semester hours to keep my "full time student" status... So, might as well turn a lemon into some lemonade and take something that I enjoy!