PDA

View Full Version : Line 6 HD500 Plexi demo!

Robert
December 22nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
I used just the Hagstrom into Logic, only effects are Classic Distortion on Lead Guitar - otherwise the guitar tracks are DRY.

I love this sound!

I wrote and recorded this little tune last night. I was critical of my own playing, as always, so this short clip took hours to do actually... I finished at 1:30am! :dance

-Z4EbdYyoXw

Tig
December 22nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
That sounds great! Have you noticed it feels pretty close to a real amph, too?

I created a patch for each amp model in an open bank with a tiny amount of complession and reverb for isolating the amps, just to expirement with. :rockya

Go to the Dual Tones preset bank and check out "13 Murder Mile" (Brit J-45 parallel with JCM-800),
and "Cuss and Blood" (J-45 and Dr. Z parallel) for similar amp fun.
The Dr. Z Route 66 (labled "PhD Motorway") is one of the best models in the system. The Divide by 13 model is also a fun one.

Spudman
December 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
I must say, that of all the Line 6 emulators the HD 500 so far sounds the best to my ears. But like Tig asks, how is the 'feel'? How about using the guitar volume knob? What happens there?

Was that a track in the L6 looper?

Robert
December 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
The feel is very good. I did all this with headphones last night, and it sounded "real" that way too. It reacts to rolling off the volume knob too, yes. Nothing virtual can ever be the same experience as 4x12 pumping behind you, of course, but this stuff is GREAT.

I recorded the backing track in Logic (composed it in an instant too :) ), and I just plugged the HD500 into my Mac via USB, and it was instantly available in Logic to record with.

This stuff is great. I can use the exact same tones live as on recordings now. If I ever would need to. :)

Monkus
December 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
...with a tiny amount of complession...

I like complession.... heh heh! :thumbsup

Sounds good Robert!

Katastrophe
December 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Funky!

Wow. I am amazed by this modeller. Sounds great, Robert, and I enjoyed the backing track. Nice groove!

Tig
December 22nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
I like complession.... heh heh! :thumbsup
Sounds good Robert!

It took me years to learn how to compless my tone!
So, now you want to learn my secrets, huh? :tongue:

deeaa
December 23rd, 2010, 06:03 AM
Really a nice sound indeed...but IMO sounds just more like a Mesa/Boogie...way too saturated and buzzy/gainy, a Plexi should be ringing an screaming not thick like Mesa Triple Recto...I still wonder if it can give an overdriven sound that doesn't have that same thick saturation buzz present on every patch over it.

Algonquin
December 23rd, 2010, 06:14 AM
I wrote and recorded this little tune last night.
Guitar tone aside (which is excellent), I love the vibe and groove of this piece you put together Rob.

Jimi75
December 23rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Absolutely cool playing. The sound is really great I must admit. Haven't seen you playing with such cool attitude in a long time. Seems like the great sound really gave you a kick. The riff and the solo is almost Bonamassa like! Thanks for keeping the sound as dry as possible. You know Robert, it sounds very organic and the sound has enough headroom.

By the way, I see you are recording with Logic, too. I switched to Logic 9 with the buy of my mac and I must say that I already love this programm. High bit recordings, cool engines and a very intuitive use. Also the amp simulations in Logic 9 are worth a try.

:rockya more, more, more, more , more :rockya

Robert
December 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks, well I do have to admit Bonamassa has influenced me quite a bit... what other kind of demos should I make with the HD500?

Eric
December 23rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
what other kind of demos should I make with the HD500?
From some brief messing around with it last week, I was really interested in the D13 model. Some of the dual-tone models Tig was talking about would also be pretty cool to hear/see.

My personal list of models I want to hear is below, but I'm enjoying it all as you make up the demos. Hearing the models mostly dry helps a lot.

Divided by 13
AC30
Park 75
JCM800
Bassman
Dr. Z

Thanks for putting these videos together, Robert!

deeaa
December 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks, well I do have to admit Bonamassa has influenced me quite a bit... what other kind of demos should I make with the HD500?

If it can yield one, I'd like to hear how does it do just plain simple OD sounds, not that saturated thick stuff but like ACDC and such. Like your Marshall 5 does cranked. No distortion/saturation, just pure, glittering OD. Something like the intro of this latest of ours: spookbox/not-what-u-think (http://www.mikseri.net/artists/spookbox/not-what-u-think/451273/) - poweramp-type drive, not preamp saturation type drive, no effects whatsoever, just a harmonics-rich crunch.

Because I'll really want to buy a modeler that can do that really well.

Robert
December 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
This POD can do pretty much ANY guitar tone you want. Seriously.

deeaa
December 23rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
I'm still dubious. I liked my XT quite well, and Amplitube and Guitar Rig both do even better. But neither, or any other digital reverb plugin/device I've heard does an *excellent* feel of ambience IMO. Even recording in a concrete boxy room the ambience is still better than digital verbs. That's one thing that I doubt will blow my socks off on modelers for a while still. And the other is a totally convincing poweramp clip kind of drive sound...the kind that is clean when played carefully and gets mean and screams when spanked, but has no saturation. Somethink like this, in reactivity, drive and ambience:

bb9LLfIZDn8

Robert
December 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
You should try one, Dee. No video of mine will ever be the same as trying it for yourself.

sumitomo
December 23rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Very Nice!!!! and you guys stop maka fun of da way I a talk or I no punchy your tickie.Sumi:D

tjcurtin1
December 23rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Cool tune, Robert, and I think the sound I have liked best from the Swede so far (the guitar, I mean ;) ).

deeaa
December 24th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Yeah I guess i gotta get hands on one soon. Even if it didn't do what I'm looking for, at least I'm sure it will yield great sounds anyway for many a use - at least in Robert's hands it sure does:-)

guitartango
January 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Nice Robert, although it did remind me of JB John Henry. Anychance you can tab this and stick it on your website ?

Robert
January 6th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks! I don't think I'll be able to write the solo down, but perhaps the rhythm guitar if people would be interested?

Nice Robert, although it did remind me of JB John Henry. Anychance you can tab this and stick it on your website ?

Eric
January 31st, 2011, 10:12 AM
I'm still dubious. I liked my XT quite well, and Amplitube and Guitar Rig both do even better. But neither, or any other digital reverb plugin/device I've heard does an *excellent* feel of ambience IMO. Even recording in a concrete boxy room the ambience is still better than digital verbs. That's one thing that I doubt will blow my socks off on modelers for a while still. And the other is a totally convincing poweramp clip kind of drive sound...the kind that is clean when played carefully and gets mean and screams when spanked, but has no saturation. Somethink like this, in reactivity, drive and ambience.
Hey Dee, I found this video over on Bobbo's dolphin street website. I was thinking that when he first goes to the JTM45, it seems kind of similar to what you describe. What do you think?

DA0DH75B3gw

deeaa
January 31st, 2011, 10:50 AM
Really hard to tell...sounds real good, but then again he's running into a Bogner..plus he doesn't really change the playing strength very much it seems to me.

I have to try one myself to see...

Robert
January 31st, 2011, 11:04 AM
Here's the JCM800 model -

9M4FxAP0s9A

Eric
January 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Here's the JCM800 model
Yeah, that lesson was actually what got me digging around on there, because I was wondering if you had a tab on dolphinstreet.com.

It sounds really cool to me in that video, but I've never played any of the amps that this thing models, so I'm a pretty bad judge of whether it's any good as a modeler. If nothing else, I guess it's good as a sound processor, huh?

Robert
January 31st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, the HD500 is super flexible. You have so many ways to create tones, if you want to tinker.

The fact that you can BLEND two amp models together is uber-cool.... ;) :D