PDA

View Full Version : Signature models

NWBasser
December 23rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Do artist endorsements and/or signature models affect your buying decisions?

Obviously, there are a lot of sig models by nearly every manufacturer and I wonder how much that plays into the buying decision.

progrmr
December 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
0% effectiveness on me....I know that if I buy Slash's LP, I'm still not going to sound like Slash (not that I'd want to, but just sayin' :) ) - It's mostly a way for companies to overcharge collectors or rob the unknowing IMO.

kuvash
December 23rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have one ,not real high end signature model.I bought it because it had exactly what I wanted on a tele,again exactly what I wanted....so I was willing to have the signature on the back side of the headstock.I personally find it to be the manufacturers way of hosing their customers,and I can't really say that in the market(used guitar)it really helps in terms of worth.Just my opinion.
So no,unless it's a perfect match for what I want and not too steep.
I bought it to play.

kuvash

Jx2
December 23rd, 2010, 12:44 PM
It depends, Id love to have a Slash guitar, a Fender Jag-Stang a Flea Bass. But alot of times when I have money in hand I find something diffrent I end up buying. So I guess the answer is no. Right now Id like to have a Eric Bass Dean Hillsboro. Mainly because I really love my single and the only way to get a diffrent color is to get Eric's.

kuvash
December 23rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
In fact,there are several models that come to mind that I have really seriously considered but decided "no"on because I don't want that artists stuff all over my guitar...signature,initials,sign,etc.(unless they bought it for me)And then there are some that I really like the guitar but the particular artist?Not so much.(that's as nice as I can say it)But,to each his/her own.

kuvash

NWBasser
December 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
I'm a big fan of Geddy Lee, but I wouldn't buy his sig jazz bass because it doesn't have the price/features that I desire. I'd rather try to sound like me than him anyway.;)

OTOH the new J. Bonamossa LP from Epiphone seems very well spec'd at a very reasonable price and I would consider that one without regard to the name on the TR cover.

I guess, for me, price, tone, and features trump signatures.

Spudman
December 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
I happen to own a Signature model Musicman guitar and it wasn't like they had that model under another name. My choice was limited. The artist designed and has played that guitar for the past 16 years so that is the model that they sell...and that is the design I wanted. I don't have any problem with his name on the headstock. I certainly didn't buy the guitar solely because it was 'his' name on it and his design. It just happens to be a very good guitar and that was what I wanted.

I guess any time I would desire a new guitar it wouldn't be the artist that would draw me to making the purchase. It would be the quality and features of the guitar that would be the determining factor for me. If their name is on it somewhere that is okay with me. It's all about the sound and how it plays in the end anyway, not so much what it looks like.

Tig
December 23rd, 2010, 04:16 PM
I'll buy a signature guitar only if it has the features I'm looking for, not because of a name associated with it. (The new SE Santana from PRS is a good example)
If it costs more because of the name, fuggetaboutit!

That said, some smaller manufacturers might lack validity in the buyer's eye without a few famous players using them.

Smooth Control
December 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
well to each his own...I like looking at the Sig models to see what kind of mods are made to a certain guitar, some of the ideas are pretty cool. I like checking em out. There are a few sig models I would like to try out or own but until i win the lotto. I think guitar makers need to have artist endorsements and sig guitars from an advertising standpoint and yes, they can make a bit more money too.

Jx2
December 23rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
After reading a few more responses I have to say Id like to see more artist or companys look toward the concept behind the Flea Bass. 3 models ranging from $299-$499. Supposively the $499 model is the one Flea now uses, Im sure he still uses his Modulus and other bass's but its nice seeing a artist reportly understand that the average musician isnt going to be able to shell out $2400+(On clearance) for his gear. Plus by using these exact bass's kids who want to learn mostly because of Flea is going to have a easier time getting thier hands on one especially once they start turning up used on CL and ebay.

Yes, most companies who make sig series make a affordable version. But when was the last time you say Slash, Zakk, John 5 or anyone else for that matter using a Epiphone or Squier or whatever? I beleive sig series are aimed at the beginner and the collector. As most of us find what we like and dont like on our own over the years. With what Flea is saying you can get his exact bass for $500. I just wish the color selection wasnt based off his car...lol

I also like Eric Bass new line, I love my Dean Hillsboro single and for only $299 yes you have to do a little filing as the edge of the frets are rough, but I paid $299 not $1299. His sig model sells for $499, and for those who have the money USA version are available.

GF'sUnderdog
December 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Signature series means nothing to me. Like it has been said over and over, I wanna sound like me because that's the ONLY person I will ever sound like. If I want different pups or pots, I can change those out to what I want and spend less in the long run.

Guys like Zakk just go overboard. He has whored himself out to so damn many companies for a buck. It is one thing to pay homage to someone like Page. It is another just using the guy's name to sell any piece of crap some kid still living at home will buy hoping it will make him sound like Zakk. Why, you can get mic stands and clothes endorsed by him!

Same thing goes with "relic-ed" guitars. I'd much rather my guitars get their character the right way - from being played.

Eric
December 26th, 2010, 05:48 AM
When I started out and didn't know what I liked, it probably mattered more to me. At a minimum, I cared about which accomplished people played which brands, because it helped guide me as to what sort of guitar would fit my preferred musical style.

Now, I don't really care. In fact, a signature model would probably make me run in the other direction, but only because it feels like manipulative marketing. I like to feel like my decision is my decision, for my reasons...even if that's never actually the case.

otaypanky
December 26th, 2010, 10:53 AM
The idea of a signature model is a bit of a deterrent for me. I sure as heck don't want to be sporting someone else's name on my guitar. Yes, I do make an exception for Les Paul on the headstock. I bought a Gibson Johnny A a year ago and I waffled back and forth a long time before deciding to get it. Believe it or not, besides getting dizzy every time I thought about spending that much $$$, the other thing that held me back was the fact it was a signature model. Heck, I didn't even know who Johnny A is!
It's like clothing, I wouldn't buy something to wear that had some designer's logo plastered all over it.

markb
December 26th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Signature models are just marketing, taking the "playing the guitar of your hero" concept to new heights. There are things like the Clapton strat or the Page LP that are unique instruments, offering things you can't get elsewhere but most are just a matter of paint and decals.

Any "signature" Les Paul is automatically a "double signature" model. Weird :confused: :confused: