PDA

View Full Version : lighter touch?

kuvash
December 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
Just a little bit of info gathering...comparison.Does anyone notice a big difference when playing medium jumbo and even more so,jumbo frets.I see it when I set the intonation, it really takes cosistant placement and a lighter touch.For me anyway.
Like I said,I'm just comparing notes.I have had an Epipone Vintage SG for quite a while so I am used to it on that guitar.I do seem to notice it more on my teles and there is a difference in scale length involved also.

kuvash

Spudman
December 23rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
I don't notice a change in note values so much. The jumbos sound pretty much the same to me as the skinny vintage frets do. It's just that the jumbos make playing feel really good for me. Maybe I'm not picky enough or something though? I play all my guitars with the same touch so there isn't that much difference for me. It's probably possible that due to the height of jumbos, or even tall mediums, that excessive pressure can make things sound a bit out of tune. That's why consistently playing with a lighter touch could be beneficial. It will also keep you from developing tendon/muscular issues and reduce overall fatigue so you can rock out even longer.:dude

markb
December 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Like Spud, I sound like me whatever the fret size. More's the pity!

wingsdad
December 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Degree of left hand touch isn't just a matter of just fret size or height. String gauge factors in, too.

If your primary, go-to guitar is strung 'super-slinky' with 8's or 9's and thinner, lower vintage frets, you tend to touch and attack lightly for speed. Move to a guitar strung with 10-46's or heavier and jumbo, fatter, higher frets, you may at first tend to squeeze harder and attack harder with your picking hand and you could squeeze it out of tune.

kuvash
December 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I was just curious,just another one of those "things",it's not a problem...more of what I notice when I experiment.I use three electrics....none are quite the same and I get the different sounds that I'm looking for.I'm quite satisfied.
So,Merry Cristmas to all and to all a good night.

kuvash