PDA

View Full Version : I'll blame DVM

NWBasser
December 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
After seeing his new CV 60s Strat and the positive reports and trying one out at the local GC, I found a used 50s on on the local CL.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/NWBasser_photos/squierfull.jpg

It was in brand-new condition until I started scraping the CV sticker off the PG and messed that up. I did a bit of setup and am very impressed with it.

Now, I really need my finger to heal!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/NWBasser_photos/squierclose.jpg

I also got a Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer for Xmas to use with my basses.

Much thanks to all the fretters who've recommended this great guitar!

Spudman
December 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Congrats! :applause Those are great guitars. Mine goes to every gig and I usually play it the whole gig unless I need to tear some heads off in which case I'll switch to a Les Paul. Nonetheless, you've most likely got a keeper there, so get your finger healed so you can put her through her paces.

ZMAN
December 26th, 2010, 01:04 PM
That is interesting. On both of mine the sticker was on top of the film on the pickgaurd. There should be a piece of plastic over the whole board.
You may have to back some screws off to get all the plastic off.

FrankenFretter
December 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM
That would look smashing with a pearloid or tort pickguard, Jason. Or you could just throw a Nirvana sticker over the scratched up part...:thwap

NWBasser
December 26th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Congrats! :applause Those are great guitars. Mine goes to every gig and I usually play it the whole gig unless I need to tear some heads off in which case I'll switch to a Les Paul. Nonetheless, you've most likely got a keeper there, so get your finger healed so you can put her through her paces.

Yeah Spud, I also have a LP for tearing heads off. Nothing does that better than a good LP!

On this one, I'm really impressed with the tone of the stock A3 pickups. They sound very smooth until you dig in a bit, then they get nasty in a good way.

duhvoodooman
December 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Oh, yeah--blame me for your lack of restraint and self-control! :reallymad:

Actually, no one who knows what these Squier CV's are all about is ever going to blame you for grabbing one when you had the chance! :thumbsup :rockya :rockon:

Tig
December 27th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Actually, no one who knows what these Squier CV's are all about is ever going to blame you for grabbing one when you had the chance!

I love my CV 50's Strat. Easily one of the best bang for the buck guitars going.

Happy new guitar day!!!

bcdon
December 27th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Nice guitar, Jason! Congrats! Hope your finger heals soon. :dude

NWBasser
December 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Nice guitar, Jason! Congrats! Hope your finger heals soon. :dude

Hey, Don you should stop by on your way back from OR to check it out and of course, some :beer: :beer: :beer:

NWBasser
December 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Oh, yeah--blame me for your lack of restraint and self-control! :reallymad:

Actually, no one who knows what these Squier CV's are all about is ever going to blame you for grabbing one when you had the chance! :thumbsup :rockya :rockon:

DVM, of course I'll blame you. You're safely across the continent away from the mad wife's rolling pin.:rolleyes: ;)

duhvoodooman
December 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
DVM, of course I'll blame you. You're safely across the continent away from the mad wife's rolling pin.:rolleyes: ;)
Write a song, dedicate it to her, and play it for her on the new git. All shall be forgiven!! :dude

NWBasser
December 27th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Write a song, dedicate it to her, and play it for her on the new git. All shall be forgiven!! :dude

She's actually fine with it. I like to joke about her getting mad about these things, but she's really quite understanding and awesome.

Writing a song for her is still a good idea though. I wish I had the ability to sing.

player
December 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM
She's actually fine with it. I like to joke about her getting mad about these things, but she's really quite understanding and awesome.

Writing a song for her is still a good idea though. I wish I had the ability to sing.Absolutely nothing wrong with a good instrumental with feeling either

Brian Krashpad
December 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Looks great, congrats.

Don't we all pretty much blame DVM for everything? I thought that was SOP.

:pancake

duhvoodooman
December 28th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Don't we all pretty much blame DVM for everything? I thought that was SOP.
Hey, Krash, I want to make it absolutely clear that I had nothing whatsoever to do with Rutherford!! So don't try to pin that one on me!! ;)

player
December 31st, 2010, 12:25 AM
never heard of Rutherford except the driver But all I could justify blaming DVM for is G A S

Brian Krashpad
January 3rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
Hey, Krash, I want to make it absolutely clear that I had nothing whatsoever to do with Rutherford!! So don't try to pin that one on me!! ;)

Haha, you are hereby officially cleared of all wrongdoing!

:applause

NWBasser
February 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Update. After playing this one for awhile now and my Epi LP, I'm not sure if it's going to stay around.
I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm really just a LP player. The strat is cool and fun, but I gravitate strongly towards the LP when I play guitar.
The LP definitely feels better in my hands and has the chunk tone that I enjoy oh so much.
This one may go to make funds for a new bass cab.
Avatar has come out with a new 3-way bass cab that's really got me interested.

Eric
February 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Update. After playing this one for awhile now and my Epi LP, I'm not sure if it's going to stay around.
I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm really just a LP player. The strat is cool and fun, but I gravitate strongly towards the LP when I play guitar.
The LP definitely feels better in my hands and has the chunk tone that I enjoy oh so much.
This one may go to make funds for a new bass cab.
Avatar has come out with a new 3-way bass cab that's really got me interested.
Nothing wrong with that IMO. I'm much the same way, even though I feel like I should like all guitars. When I can come to conclusions about my preferences, it's kind of comforting, provided I don't permanently shut the door on those other guitars.

Do you think you can you get your money back in a sale of it, or will you just be happy to recoup some cash?

NWBasser
February 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Nothing wrong with that IMO. I'm much the same way, even though I feel like I should like all guitars. When I can come to conclusions about my preferences, it's kind of comforting, provided I don't permanently shut the door on those other guitars.

Do you think you can you get your money back in a sale of it, or will you just be happy to recoup some cash?

Well, I kinda gouged the PG up a bit when I was trying to remove the sticker. Stupid me.
I did get it used and can likely get most of what I paid.

FrankenFretter
February 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM
How much did you pay for it?

NWBasser
February 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
I paid $275 for it. It was in brand-new condition.

Eric
February 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
I paid $275 for it. It was in brand-new condition.
They go for $350 new or something, right? I'd reckon $250 wouldn't be that unreasonable, though I haven't been shopping the market, so realistically I have no idea.

FrankenFretter
February 22nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Hmmmm....tempting...

Then I'd probably never finish that SX Strat project, though. Not that it's going anywhere anytime soon.

NWBasser
February 23rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Gee Sean, you could really use a working strat in your stable!

FrankenFretter
February 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Gee Sean, you could really use a working strat in your stable!

And an SG, and a Jazzmaster, and a Mosrite Ventures, and an LP GT, and an Explorer, and a DC LP, and...
Okay, stopping now.

NWBasser
February 28th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Up for sale now ($250) on CL along with the Hughes & Kettner.

Yesterday I had the epiphany that if I sold it and the amp, I could get a Blackstar HT-5 head and cab.

A new amp might be more usable to me currently.

I think I discovered that I'm just not really a strat player.

FrankenFretter
February 28th, 2011, 08:38 PM
What you really need is a Marshall combo. I think I know someone who might sell you one.

NWBasser
February 28th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Um yeah, I'm going down in wattage, not up...

NWBasser
June 13th, 2011, 01:02 PM
What to do?

Well, the CV strat just isn't selling. I'm not really thrilled with the sound and setup of it.

I'm thinking maybe keep it and mod it to my liking. New pup's, neck sanding, and a fret job.

Pup's- they sound a bit too thin to me. Maybe some Texas Specials. Something a bit fatter?

Neck sanding; I don't care for the glossy finish and although it would affect the resale value, I think some sanding (scotch brite) would be an improvement since I do like a satin finish.

Fret job; I can't seem to dial the action (saddles and TR adjust) anywhere near low enough for my tastes since I seem to get irregular rattles. A fret job might get it down to my preferences.

Oh yeah, probably do some wiring mod to get a tone control on the bridge pup.

FrankenFretter
June 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Unless you're going to do your own dress and level, it's probably not worth it unless you're going to hold on to it. Not a cheap thing to have done at a shop. If you're looking for a thicker sound, you could try some stacked 'buckers. Or completely ruin your resale value and throw some P90s in there!

I think that by nature, the Strat is meant to sound relatively "thin". You can thicken it up with some overdrive, or maybe an EQ pedal. I think that making the neck satin will be an improvement that's worth the risk of losing a couple resale dollars. Just my .02, which is about what that's worth. ;)

Eric
June 13th, 2011, 02:16 PM
My two cents (feel free to ignore all of this):

I would imagine you already have this in there, but make sure you accept offers. Whenever someone says "firm" in their CL ad, I keep moving unless it's something I really really want. Leave it dead stock, and re-post it for sale every 2-3 weeks.

Based on what you've said, I don't think you're going to end up loving this guitar, and modding it would just kill the resale value and postpone the inevitable. Have you tried posting it for sale on this forum? Seems like someone might want it. Also, didn't something happen to the PG when you were trying to remove the sticker? Just curious if that's affecting interest or the price or something.