PDA

View Full Version : Guitar lessons

Beerman
December 27th, 2010, 06:52 AM
While I admit I'm not as fluent or as good as I want to be with scales and playing, I do have an understanding of how things work and as I have purchased hardware from many online sources, I get tons of emails from online dvd sales and lessons and always wondered if they were any good.
At this point, I doubt I'd part with my money for them but I am curious if anyone has tried any of these dvd's or online courses and if so, did it help.......which one?
I've seen some of the demos and some look like they are for beginners while others appear just to want to show you how to copy some popular solos. I've never had formal lessons and taught myself and have a good ear. And, I've always tried to learn from others that I've jammed with. However, I do feel I could learn from someone who is experienced with teaching others.

Zip
December 27th, 2010, 07:20 AM
First, try some lessons at dolphinstreet.com. I think you'll be EXTREMELY impressed.

mjk123
December 27th, 2010, 08:14 AM
First, try some lessons at dolphinstreet.com. I think you'll be EXTREMELY impressed.

I second that option. I have purchased a few from Robert and while I am still learning them, his lessons are very helpful...:applause :rockya

marnold
December 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I've been a Metal Method (http://www.metalmethod.com) student for years now. I've got every version of the course that has been offered as well as Classic Metal Licks, SRV Style, and Sweep Pick Mechanics. Doug Marks is a really good teacher. With the most recent revision, it's even more user-friendly and easier to work into for the newbie guitarist. He's got clips on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/dmarks1) that give a basic overview of the course. He made modal theory clear to me, which is a major accomplishment right there.

With a name like "Metal Method" it obviously leans towards hard rock or classic heavy metal, but what you learn would be applicable in about any genre. Not much of anything for Jazz folks, though, unsurprisingly.

sumitomo
December 27th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Where do you start.There are so many lessons and with youtube,honestly with youtube you don't really need to buy anything.In the early '80s I got doug marks metal method and it was great for me at the time,but man if you every wanted to learn your options are limitless.Have fun most of all.Sumi:D

player
December 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I second that option. I have purchased a few from Robert and while I am still learning them, his lessons are very helpful...:applause :rockyaanother satisfied customer here.

pedalbuilder
December 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I've used a few of the guitarinstructor.com lessons and they were okay. But - for the $2-3 per lesson they cost, okay is good enough.