PDA

View Full Version : Email from Epiphone: The Return of the Nighthawk Custom

progrmr
January 4th, 2011, 07:42 AM
A full humbucker in the bridge, single coil in the middle, and a mini-hum in the neck with coil tap...hmmmmm....

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=2000

FrankenFretter
January 4th, 2011, 08:04 AM
That's pretty cool. Interesting to note that Seymour Duncan already has replacement pickups planned. I'm curious as to how much Epi is going to charge for these.

Jimi75
January 4th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Excellent addition to the Epi line. I think this could become a hit.

Katastrophe
January 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Gee, Epiphone keeps putting out classy looking, versatile instruments. And they sell.

Gibby puts out weird "guitars" with goofy features and strange inlays. And they have to be "limited runs," because they wouldn't sell in big numbers otherwise. And they're too expensive.

Are you paying attention Gibby?

28nk6-btlE4

Sounds fantastic. The demo guy does a instrumental tune with the guitar, drum machine, Epi bass and Valve Jr. amph. He explains pickup switch selections as the tune goes on. Again sounds great and the guitar seems to be versatile.

I'd like Gibby to follow this up with a Faded or Studio trim model for $749.00-799.00 MAP, with either solid colors or the faded brown and cherry of the Vintage Mahogany LP that MF sells. The wouldn't be able to keep 'em on the shelves. Guitarists would have a choice between the bling of the Epi, or fewer features but an affordable Gibby with that famous Gibby headstock.

It was also smart for Epi to get with Seymour Duncan for aftermarket pups for the guitar.

piebaldpython
January 4th, 2011, 09:20 AM
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Epiphone/Nighthawk-Custom-Reissue.aspx#

MSRP of $665. So, $450-ish retail???

duhvoodooman
January 4th, 2011, 09:50 AM
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Epiphone/Nighthawk-Custom-Reissue.aspx#

MSRP of $665. So, $450-ish retail???
I saw a street price of $400 mentioned somewhere. Interesting guitar, doubly so at that price point....

pedalbuilder
January 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM
It looks cool, but that slant humbucker seems kind of dumb - really limits your replacement pickup selection options, and adds nothing in terms of use or sound quality.

Still though, yeah, nice to see Epi putting out good stuff. I think they've been feeling the heat from all the quality Korean and even Chinese import brands that have appeared in recent years, and it's refreshing to see such a positive response!

Katastrophe
January 4th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I saw a street price of $400 mentioned somewhere. Interesting guitar, doubly so at that price point....

Agreed! That fireburst one is sexy. At $400, it's a viable alternative to Fender Blacktops and the onslaught of inexpensive other Chinese guitars that are out there (Agile and others), if it plays well. Choice is good.

I dig the bridge on this thing. I know it's an adaptation of the Strat hardtail, but it's compact, string through, with more travel for intonation (than a TOM).

marnold
June 12th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Sooo . . . did anyone ever buy one of these?

Brian Krashpad
June 13th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Sooo . . . did anyone ever buy one of these?

[crickets]

Just as popular as the Gibson model!

marnold
June 13th, 2011, 10:08 AM
[crickets]

Just as popular as the Gibson model!
Heh. I will say this, I'd definitely like to try one. I saw some better shots of the transparent black one that looked awfully hawt. Then again, my tastes in guitars tend to run counter to a lot of people's.

deeaa
June 13th, 2011, 11:38 AM
My buddy had a Gibson Nighthawk of the original series, but I managed to drop it once and broke the neck. It was repaired and well too, but he sold it after.

I always thought it would be a real versatile guitar, but I don't like the looks...three different pickups looks like someone just threw in assorted gear nevermind the looks...but it's just my view.

MAXIFUNK
June 13th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I tried it out and did not like the neck to wide for my taste appeared to very well made.