PDA

View Full Version : Fender Fat 50's strat single coils

Duffy
January 4th, 2011, 03:04 PM
After playing my Squier Cherry Burst Standard today for quite a while thru my Super Champ SD I must reiterate how great I think these pickups sound.

These are the Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's pickups and they sound really great. They have a mellow tone that is full and rich with plenty of chime and growl, but no ice pickyness such as is found in the Texas Specials. The sound is reproduced by the SCXD thru several voices and the clean channel very beautifully. The Texas Specials are nice as well, but are much more heavy on the brittle treble side. The Fat 50's are full with a strong mid range and excellent bass and treble balance.

I rarely hear about these pickups and thought I would put it out there how nice these sound: a very pleasant sound, easy on the ear, and able to be processed with pedals and overdrive to produce beautiful tones.

I might put a set of these in another strat that I have.

So if you are thinking of replacing your stock Fender or Squier single coil strat pickups, I encourage you to check out the Fender Fat 50's. They are definitely very easy on the ear and have made playing my strat a very pleasant and rewarding experience. You can easily play very beautiful tones that might be very difficult to achieve with many other strat pickups.

Hope this information helps someone who is thinking of replacing their strat pickups. I'm not sure which strats Fender installs these Fat 50's as stock pickups, but it would be a great guitar to listen to if you are considering getting some for your guitar. I bought mine sight unseen and have been very pleasantly surprised by the beautiful tone.

sumitomo
January 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
That's nice to know Duffy,I like the sound of the quacky,brittle,but only when I'm listening to someone else play.I prefere the mellower sound.Sumi:D

otaypanky
January 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I have 'em in a Strat and like them a lot too ~