PDA

View Full Version : Finger Pickin" Technique

Tim
October 31st, 2006, 08:27 AM
Just wondering how everybody does their finger picking. Do you prefer the thumb and two fingers or thumb and three fingers? I am trying both ways, but these little digits have their own mind.

Robert
October 31st, 2006, 08:29 AM
I use the hybrid technique with pick and the first two fingers. See http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-35.php

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2006, 09:50 AM
I use the hybrid technique with pick and the first two fingers. See http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-35.php

I have been doing hybrid as well, sometimes holding a flat pick with the next two fingers, OR if I am picking the entire song, a thumb pick with the index and next finger. I picked up a nice Dunlop thumb pick that I have been using, mostly for acoustic folk rock type songs.

I would like to improve a hybrid technique using a flat pick because I think it is more versatile and could be used for lots of different types of music when I might be in the mood to embellish a series of chords, etc.

jpfeifer
October 31st, 2006, 11:13 AM
Hi Tim,

It depends on what style I'm playing.
I've been using a hybrid approach with my electric with the pick and two fingers. This works o.k. for a lot of stuff, but if need to do some more difficult finger picking then I drop the pick and use my thumb and 3 fingers. If I'm playing a solo guitar piece I usually get rid of the pick and use only my fingers.

I've also been experimenting with a thumb pick for certain styles too. If you want to do some Chet Atkins style finger picking then I would highly reccomend the thumbpick approach. The only problem with the thumbpick is that they're not so easy to strum with, although there are some manufacturers making these thumbpicks with a flatpick shape. Fast single-note passages are also harder with a thumbpick, but there are guys who can burn single-note lines with a thumbpick (Doyle Dykes). They usually alternate the thumb and index finger for fast lines like that, in the same way that you would use alternate picking with a flat pick.

-- Jim

tot_Ou_tard
October 31st, 2006, 04:49 PM
Moi, I use a thumb n' three fingers

..I find the tequila makes me feel like I am playin' better :D

I haven't tried the hybrid technique, but I'll give it a try.

Spudman
October 31st, 2006, 05:15 PM
I'm totally a klutz if I try to use a pick and my fingers at the same time.

I use the Merle Travis method of thumb and index finger, sometimes an added second finger, and brace/support my hand on the top of the guitar with the remaining fingers of my right hand. Occasionally I'll do the total claw thing and grab a bunch of strings with all 5 fingers for a percussive chord attack. Not very often though.

The only time I leave a pick in my hand and grab strings is on an SRV type song ending where I grab and twang the low E for the final note of the song. Otherwise no picks for me when using my fingers. My brain just can't handle it.

Spudman
October 31st, 2006, 05:17 PM
Moi, I use a thumb n' 4 three fingers

Huh?!:confused: How does that work? A thumb and 43 fingers. Man, how many guitars do you play at once?:D

tot_Ou_tard
October 31st, 2006, 06:31 PM
Huh?!:confused: How does that work? A thumb and 43 fingers. Man, how many guitars do you play at once?:D
umm, your confusion is the result of a typo & my misremembering my sister's favorite drink while I was growing up in the 70's

http://www.heavenhill.co.nz/tequilahip4.jpg

But I did find this song in my futile search for three finger tequila

Three Fingers Tequila
by Mark David Manders and Neuvo Tejas
from the album "Chili Pepper Sunset"
Transcribed by Thomas Faulkenberry

(Chorus)
C D
I had one smooth shot of 3 fingers tequila
G C
Just to soften up the edge
C D
Two hours later we were mixin’ margaritas
Em D C
And throwin’ caution to the wind
C D G
Singin’ "Oh no, here we go again."

G D Em C
Someone stole my keys one night in Mexico
G D C
And I was stranded there in Boy’s Town with nowhere left to go
G D Em C
So I stumbled into this bar & sat down in the back
G D C
When out of the blue she appeared like an angel dressed in black

(repeat chorus)

She said her name was Alma, at least that’s the one she used
And she knew of a place that didn’t water down their booze
So we slipped out the back door & she led the way
Down the alley to an eight by twelve apartment where she stayed

(repeat chorus)

When the sun comes up in Mexico it does not make a sound
I was recovering on the patio when Miss Alma came around
I could have found a locksmith & been on my way
But she said more with just one smile so I stayed another day

(repeat chorus)

----------------------------------------------------------

My answer is that I use a thumb n' 3 fingers.

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Tim,

It depends on what style I'm playing.
I've been using a hybrid approach with my electric with the pick and two fingers. This works o.k. for a lot of stuff, but if need to do some more difficult finger picking then I drop the pick and use my thumb and 3 fingers. If I'm playing a solo guitar piece I usually get rid of the pick and use only my fingers.

I've also been experimenting with a thumb pick for certain styles too. If you want to do some Chet Atkins style finger picking then I would highly reccomend the thumbpick approach. The only problem with the thumbpick is that they're not so easy to strum with, although there are some manufacturers making these thumbpicks with a flatpick shape. Fast single-note passages are also harder with a thumbpick, but there are guys who can burn single-note lines with a thumbpick (Doyle Dykes). They usually alternate the thumb and index finger for fast lines like that, in the same way that you would use alternate picking with a flat pick.

-- Jim

I had not been fingerpicking much in a while, and did so tonight. I tried out the hybrid method and found it a lot harder than my thumb pick, though I was rusty at both methods. My thumb pick, a Dunlop, might be one that is shaped like a flat pick like Jim is referring to. It is flat, but narrower than a standard shaped pick. I find I can strum with it pretty well if I need to in a finger picking song. I watched Lyle Lovett do that last summer. I think if it was mainly a flat pick song, I might try dropping the pick if I needed to like Jim says, and having others ready to pick up. I don't want to give up on Robert's hybrid method though. Should be the most versatile if I can get it down.

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:18 AM
If I play a nylon string guitar I like to use the thumb plus 4 fingers. But on the electric I often use thumb + 2 fingers or pick + 2 fingers.

jack_GVR
April 30th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Thumb and 4 fingers! (Not 43 though.)

IMHO...
Don't put the pinky down on the soundboard if you want to develop an efficient rh technique. Not only is the pinky wasted then but the ring finger is seriously inhibited too.

I suppose there are a few of you guys who don't use the left hand pinky - but probably lots who don't use the right hand pinky. Hmm, go figure. As Villa-Lobos famously said, might as well cut it off, then.

Ro3b
May 1st, 2007, 07:20 AM
As a recovering classical player, I use thumb and three fingers. I keep my nails about 3-4 mm long so my attack is about half flesh, half nail. On steel-string acoustic I'll usually use a thumbpick.

Super Swede and Jack, how do you guys use your RH little fingers, exactly? I'l use mine sometimes on five-string chords, but it's not wired to move independently of the ring finger.

tot_Ou_tard
May 2nd, 2007, 06:22 AM
As a recovering classical player, I use thumb and three fingers. I keep my nails about 3-4 mm long so my attack is about half flesh, half nail. On steel-string acoustic I'll usually use a thumbpick.

I was gonna ask about the nails. I keep my left hand nails trimmed & my right hand nails about the same as Ro3b so I can fingerpick my electric guitars.

If someone looked closely at my hands they'd notice something odd, but that's what those hand-staring freaks deserve. :D

jack_GVR
May 2nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
how do you guys use your RH little fingers, exactly? I'll use mine sometimes on five-string chords, but it's not wired to move independently of the ring finger.

Play scales with ring and pinky, that'll get 'em rewired. Don't expect to be fast, but it will strengthen that whole side of the hand. Also do lots of rasgueos: downstroke c-a-m-i with variations.

I use the pinky in lots of arpeggios. I use it when a single note on the high E string follows a chord that I have just played with pima. I use it alternating with the ring finger for rest stroke melodies over arpeggios. I use it to tap on the soundboard in combo with a and m. I use it anywhere I need four fingers in a row on an arpeggio and don't want to cross over with the index.

-- jack