PDA

View Full Version : EPIPHONE transformation help

NC Zeppelin
January 4th, 2011, 08:25 PM
hey guys, i have a standard epiphone, ive had for about 3 years and what i want to do is replace the stocks with Gibson Burstbucker Pro Pickup Gold Neck - Gold for Neck, and Gibson P94T Humbucker Sized P90 Bridge Pickup Black Gold Cover - Black Gold Cover for a brigde, any teck'es or any experienced people tell me if it should be easy to put these in, or its tuff, or suicide idea haha, please some feedback please.

rock on!!

ZMAN
January 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM
First of all welcome to the Fret. Why don't you head over to the Fret players forum and introduce yourself.
I think you will have to be more specific. Is your guitar an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. If so the pickup change is not too dificult if you know how to solder and follow a wiring diagram. I recently had pickups, and pots swapped on my Gibson Les Paul Classic and had BB1 and BB2s installed along with an RS guitarworks kit. My tech charged me 60 bucks and I supplied all the parts.
It is worth every nickel because when I got the guitar back it had a loud hum.
I took it back and he noticed a bad solder, and fixed it immediately. I would never have known where to start. That is also an interesting configuration. Most guy would go with the BBpro in the Bridge and the P90 in the neck.
There are a lot of guys on this board who know pickup swaps. You will probably get lots of answers.

Trip
January 5th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I just replaced the stock pickups in my Epiphone sg400 with some custom wound pups from JS Moore at tonefordays.com and it was really easy. I even had a new harness made with push/pull pots for series/parallel wiring. This is a whole new guitar now. As far as difficulty goes, I've never wired anything up untill now and It wasn't all that hard.

deeaa
January 6th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Epi pickups are slightly different size but in the direction of them being a tad bigger, so there should be no problem, other than a slightly too large a gap between the PU and the mounting frame ring.

I dunno why on earth, but every Epi piece of hardware is a little bigger than the Gibson counterpart, can't fit a Gibson stop-piece on an Epi for instance, as it's just too small, the posts are too far apart on an Epi...go figure why they did that. Probably they use machinery once used for making pirated parts and that weren't exactly the right size...

NC Zeppelin
January 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Epi pickups are slightly different size but in the direction of them being a tad bigger, so there should be no problem, other than a slightly too large a gap between the PU and the mounting frame ring.

I dunno why on earth, but every Epi piece of hardware is a little bigger than the Gibson counterpart, can't fit a Gibson stop-piece on an Epi for instance, as it's just too small, the posts are too far apart on an Epi...go figure why they did that. Probably they use machinery once used for making pirated parts and that weren't exactly the right size...

Yeah its a epiphone standard, so the pickups wont work is what your saying? or can they be cut to fit? or filled?

NC Zeppelin
January 11th, 2011, 12:22 AM
First of all welcome to the Fret. Why don't you head over to the Fret players forum and introduce yourself.
I think you will have to be more specific. Is your guitar an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. If so the pickup change is not too dificult if you know how to solder and follow a wiring diagram. I recently had pickups, and pots swapped on my Gibson Les Paul Classic and had BB1 and BB2s installed along with an RS guitarworks kit. My tech charged me 60 bucks and I supplied all the parts.
It is worth every nickel because when I got the guitar back it had a loud hum.
I took it back and he noticed a bad solder, and fixed it immediately. I would never have known where to start. That is also an interesting configuration. Most guy would go with the BBpro in the Bridge and the P90 in the neck.
There are a lot of guys on this board who know pickup swaps. You will probably get lots of answers.

well as far as i know the BBpros sound really mean like rock and heavy rock on the trebel and i would consider the p90s for blues and light jazz. good idea or not really? or no idea ha?

deeaa
January 11th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Yeah its a epiphone standard, so the pickups wont work is what your saying? or can they be cut to fit? or filled?

No they'll fit just fine...especially if open coil, there's hardly any difference. With covered PU's the epi ones are clearly more rectangular and _bigger_ than gibsons, so Epi pu's won't fit gibson pickup rings but the other way they do fit - there will be a little bigger gap between the ring and pickup itself, but shouldn't be so big it'll be noticeable a few feet away at least.

NC Zeppelin
January 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM
No they'll fit just fine...especially if open coil, there's hardly any difference. With covered PU's the epi ones are clearly more rectangular and _bigger_ than gibsons, so Epi pu's won't fit gibson pickup rings but the other way they do fit - there will be a little bigger gap between the ring and pickup itself, but shouldn't be so big it'll be noticeable a few feet away at least.

ha thanks again deeaa, first the zoom and now this, thank you again:dude