PDA

View Full Version : Don't see many of these on CL....

duhvoodooman
January 5th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Cool old Fender BF amp:

http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/2144207101.html

Jimi75
January 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
That's a cool amph, but it's pretty noisy. The Vibrolux series is known having a very loud speaker white noise.

duhvoodooman
January 5th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I just thought it was interesting to see a 45 year-old Fender blackface amp in what appears to be completely original condition. I'm sure the tubes aren't original, and it may have been recapped, but it looks otherwise untouched....and in pretty good shape, at that.

Maybe these older amps are pretty common in bigger cities, but we don't see them posted on the Albany NY CL very often.

Here's another that popped up a couple of days ago--a '58 Tweed Tremolux, also all original. The guy wants $4,500 for it, which seems awfully high!

http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/2139828462.html

So two of these vintage Fender amps in just the past few days, but I can't remember seeing anything this old on the local CL in the past few months....

Algonquin
January 5th, 2011, 10:18 PM
DVM, being close to a fair sized market (Toronto), I see quite a few vintage amps such as this hit the classifieds. Maybe not that many in the '65 Vintage, but a fair amount just the same. The thing that keeps me away from looking into these possible gems is that I personnaly would not be able to determine their worth/faults/flaws with a quick visit.

I'd be much more inclined to take a leap at one of these gems if they were offered on consignment at a shop I knew and trusted to give me a reasonable assesment of condition, but then the price would likely reflect this.

But for those in the know, there are some great deals to be had!

sunvalleylaw
January 5th, 2011, 10:38 PM
That's a cool amph, but it's pretty noisy. The Vibrolux series is known having a very loud speaker white noise.

I am curious about what you mean by that. I have my '61 Concert 4x10, (not Vibrolux series, but it has the Vibrato on it and is older yet than that '65). As compared to my Peavey, it is somewhat unforgiving of any slop at all in my playing. It is not all that noisy on its own though. A bit more at night with rheostats and lights on if I turn on the dirt chain, but not so much on its own. It has a MercuryMagnetics OT though, and has been re-capped, and a pigtail put on.

Algonquin
January 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Case in point... good deal?
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/msg/2141594025.html

Jimi75
January 6th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I am curious about what you mean by that. I have my '61 Concert 4x10, (not Vibrolux series, but it has the Vibrato on it and is older yet than that '65). As compared to my Peavey, it is somewhat unforgiving of any slop at all in my playing. It is not all that noisy on its own though. A bit more at night with rheostats and lights on if I turn on the dirt chain, but not so much on its own. It has a MercuryMagnetics OT though, and has been re-capped, and a pigtail put on.

I can not explain it technically, but I played a lot of vintage Vibroluxes when working for Fender. All of them were pretty hissy/noisy in umodded condition. It even got worse when playing pedals in front of them. That's all I know from subjective experience. Also the newer custom vibroluxes Fender built from the 90s on were considered very noisy. Played one myself and gave it to my amp guru to tame it.