PDA

View Full Version : A little Rory Gallagher for the afternoon doldrums.

Katastrophe
January 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
If this tune doesn't give you a charge, then nothing will!

Pure, unadulterated, balls to the wall rock n' roll. And a 'fro having bass player with a Hawaiian shirt.

GazzTFxXGeE

Makes me wanna put a band together just to cover this tune!

duhvoodooman
January 5th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Gotta love Rory!! I don't think anybody has ever played with more enthusiasm and intensity.

Jimi75
January 6th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Nice to see some Rory vids being posted here from time to time. He's one of my all time faves. Go read the bassist's book about his time with Rory. Very interesting read, not the typical "we had groupies everywhere" blahblah.

My brother in law (R.I.P.) saw Rory live on his famous European Tour that ended in this tremendous live album. In fact Rory's concert here in the city of Essen was the first German broadcast that could be seen on tv and listened to parallely on the radio. Gazillions of kids met to watch and to listen over their stereos.

syo
January 6th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah that's one of my favorites too. Wish he was still around. Would have been great to see/hear what he came up with.

Nice to see some Rory vids being posted here from time to time. He's one of my all time faves. Go read the bassist's book about his time with Rory. Very interesting read, not the typical "we had groupies everywhere" blahblah.

I've been meaning to get a copy of that. Supposedly a very good read for any Rory fan. Gerry McAvoy is quite a player in his own right. Seems outside of Ireland, the place RG was most supported was Germany. Always wondered why he was especially popular there. Any opinions Jimi?

Blaze
January 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I went on the StageVu site a week ago and looked for some Rory ..Found this concert in Stuttgart..One of his last one i guess ..

R.I.P. Rory Gallagher

http://stagevu.com/video/mnkfioakzipn

Jimi75
January 6th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Seems outside of Ireland, the place RG was most supported was Germany. Always wondered why he was especially popular there. Any opinions Jimi?

I think it was because he was part of a historic move with the airing of the concert parallely on tv and radio. I mean, this really was a revolution in sound taking place. Rory was there - the right time, the right place - and the German kids were always thankful and connected Rory with that event. :dude

FrankenFretter
January 6th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Rory was one of my guitar heroes. I remember back in the early 80s, there was Night Flight on USA Network, which pre-dated MTV. There was a Rory concert on one night, and I remember watching it with fascination. That man could play! And I loved it when he dragged his old Strat around by the cord. No wonder it ended up looking like it did. That was a Strat with real mojo.

Katastrophe
January 6th, 2011, 09:22 AM
One thing that impressed me about this recording is Rory's tone. It's huge for a single coil Strat. Strat + Marshall, maybe?

Unfortunately, I missed Rory's playing while he was still alive. In the early 80s I was too wrapped up in metal to know what real rock n' roll is (not slamming metal here... just my narrow minded opinion at the time).

Thank God that YouTube is around. I've exposed myself to everything from baroque, romantic and classical music, all the way to the avant garde. Good stuff!

FrankenFretter
January 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
One thing that impressed me about this recording is Rory's tone. It's huge for a single coil Strat. Strat + Marshall, maybe?

Unfortunately, I missed Rory's playing while he was still alive. In the early 80s I was too wrapped up in metal to know what real rock n' roll is (not slamming metal here... just my narrow minded opinion at the time).

Thank God that YouTube is around. I've exposed myself to everything from baroque, romantic and classical music, all the way to the avant garde. Good stuff!

Good on ya for exposing yourself, Kat!

Katastrophe
January 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I see what you did there!

I really should edit my posts a little better.:thwap

duhvoodooman
January 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Oh, great! We have one Fretter exposing himself and another one cheering him on. E-e-e-w-w-w-w!!!! :eek: ;)

BTW, it wouldn't seem easy for anybody to have a Strat that looked more beat-up than SRV's #1, but Rory managed it!!

syo
January 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Good on ya for exposing yourself, Kat!

Please gentlemen, I think the proper place for this discussion would be in the "Gear Demo" section of this forum. Or perhaps, (if there are any legal/social problems involved) "Problems and Difficulties." ;):D

Katastrophe
January 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Well played, syo. Well played.

This thread sure did take an unexpected turn, didn't it?

FrankenFretter
January 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Well played, syo. Well played.

This thread sure did take an unexpected turn, didn't it?

It did get ugly in a hurry. No offense, Kat! :poke

Katastrophe
January 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
None taken, FF!

This kinda stuff used to happen quite often here... It's good to have some humor.