PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Request, Wes Montgomery soloing

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I have been listening to some podcasts on jazz, and listened to the series on Wes Montgomery today. http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/jazz-insights-media/id405935692 Check these podcasts out if you like jazz and want to learn more. Dr. Vernick is very good.

Anyway, I had been exposed to Wes before some. But in all honesty, what I was struck by was how all the George Benson stuff I listened to way back when (hated the strings etc. but put up with it so I could listen to the guitar) sounded like it came straight from Wes. Especially the octave style soloing. I had learned a bit about this before, but this latest podcast went into Wes's soloing techniques where he starts with single note lines (see below at :53), shifts to octaves (see at 1:37), and finally to blocked chords. This is where Benson got a ton of his stuff that I loved when I was a kid, and thought he kicked Pagey's butt.

Here is the lesson request. I would love to learn to play that soloing technique. Anyone want to put some basic demoes of the techniques up there? I am sure I will need to take a lesson (or series thereof) to get it down, but I would love to see how it is done. I can go on youtube and watch Wes and George play, but I would love to see it broken down.

Thanks for any resources one might suggest.

2a1W3Wtqdj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a1W3Wtqdj8

Katastrophe
January 7th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Man, what a cool groove!

To clarify just a bit, SVL, which type of soloing would you like to start with? The single note lines, Wes style octaves, or comping chords?

Not that I could come close to teaching this stuff, but there are quite a number of concepts there that a teacher could expound upon in just that one song. Breaking it down a bit might help get a good starting place!

progrmr
January 8th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the links to those podcasts! I downloaded a bunch of 'em.

Interesting that you're able to pick out more of the subtle aspects of his technique. When I think of jazz I think single notes based on the major scales for the given key, distinct chord voicings and arpeggios built off the same. But I guess that's a pretty limited I interpretation of the style overall :)

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Kat, I can hunt and peck out the single note stuff. From what I understand (from listening to the podcasts), Wes arpeggiated quite a bit in his single note stuff and created melody from there. I was more interested in learning how to use octaves and then block chords in solos. I love the idea of combining single note lines with chords (and/or octaves), probably because that is what you do on a piano, and that is where I started way back when.

Progrmr, glad you like it! He is great! Re: picking out the techniques, I always had liked the sounds of the octave style, since back when George Benson was borrowing that technique in the 70's. It was not as easy for me to pick out the block chords unless I listen closely, but since an octave is the same note repeated, and a chord necessarily will add another note, that is the difference. But really, Dr. Vernick pointed out to me what was going on in the second podcast (I think) of the Wes Montgomery series. ;-)

bigG
January 11th, 2011, 10:17 AM
SVL, nice choice, man! I been diggin' Wes since the 60s. I don't know if it's still available, but my CD (and LP) of Wes with Jimmy Smith is entitled Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery: Jimmy & Wes The Dynamic Duo (on the Verve label).

Straight ahead blowin' it out jazz by two of my favorite masters, and if you dig the Hammond B3, Jimmy Smith is the cat who put it on the map as a viable jazz keyboard, and is still considered the king of the B3.

There is such great playing and interchange between them on this disc. Highly recommended! It just don't get no better!