PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Strings

Tone2TheBone
December 5th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Alright guys,

I'm hoping that one of you has a suggestion for the ULTIMATE Acoustic guitar string set ever. I want strings that are BRIGHT.......that will stay bright LONGER THAN A MONTH AT LEAST.....that are SILKY AND NOT STIFF......that have DEEP BASS TONE YET WITH CLARITY.

Has anyone found the Holy Grail of Acoustic Guitar Strings?

Cost is no concern.

Tim
December 5th, 2005, 06:28 PM
This is a very good question to ask. I have been looking for the same quality in acoustic strings. Although in my case, cost is an issue. But then strings on my acoustic last about 4 months. I have been finger pickin" them here more than I normally do. I am trying to get these appendages to get some finger pickin" memory in them.

Tone2TheBone
December 6th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Let me just say that my last set of strings were Ernie Ball Acoustic Slinkys in Phospher Bronze and they sounded great. Nice and bright with full tone. However the windings seemed to dull faster but that's relative because I'm not sure if they dulled because of the material or because I played them so much. ??? In comparison with my electric strings...those get changed every other month whether they need them or not because I'm always on my electric guitars. I don't mind changing strings out often because I'd rather have great sound at all times. I just figured maybe someone ran into a really great long lasting set of strings for acoustics that I haven't tried.

I have heard lots of hype about the Elixirs and "might" try a set today JUST to see what they're all about. If they last a month I'll stick to cheaper brands (they're twice as much as normal brands). I'm thinking the nanoweb set might be what I am looking for. Still looking for the ultimate set though.

I just got the Eric Clapton DVD/CD of the Robert Johnson sessions. His acoustic tone is sweet. Nice and bright on the finger picking. I hear he's got a signature set in the Martins that I might try also.

Tone2TheBone
December 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I pulled the trigger on a set of Phosphor Bronze Elixirs. Light gauge, 12-53. I'll post a report in 5 months if they last that long as they're supposed to. ;)

Tim
December 6th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I just got the Eric Clapton DVD/CD of the Robert Johnson sessions. His acoustic tone is sweet. Nice and bright on the finger picking. I hear he's got a signature set in the Martins that I might try also.

I bought the Crossroads 2004 DVD and absolutely love it. I am always watching. I am looking for his “One Car, One More Rider” DVD. It just has to be better than the 2 CD set.

How is the Robert Johnson DVD? I have the CD, but love the “One Car, One More Rider” CDs and his newest “Back Home” project.

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Tim,

I also have the Crossroads DVD and have it on almost all the time at home.

The Robert Johnson sessions DVD is really great. It's basically the whole band practicing for the Crossroads festival but they're doing all Robert Johnson songs. The first "half" is his group comprising of Eric, Doyle Brahmall II (the left handed dude that played with him at Crossroads), Billy Preston on the Hammond, Nathan East on bass etc playing at some cool looking studio in London somewhere. Then they proceed to another studio to do a couple more songs...again live recording...and then finally the last part of the DVD is Eric and Doyle playing acoustic blues inside the actual building in Dallas TX where Robert Johnson recorded his music. Very cool stuff! I just love the acoustic blues playing they did thats why I've been playing my acoustic A LOT lately. I've learned "Terraplane Blues" so far just by watching the DVD. I've gotta say that I've always liked Eric Clapton but since he quit the drugs and booze I like him even more. His playing and tone is much improved (at the risk of being stoned here - no pun intended). His singing is just incredible. He really is a fantastic blues vocalist. I would highly recommend you add this to your collection.

ps - Doyle plays an AMAZING Gibson Les Paul Junior (double cutaway my dream guitar) with slide and it just kicks arse all over the place.......amazing sound for such a cool guitar.

Tim
December 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Tone,

Thanks. I will add the Robert Johnson sessions DVD to my list to give to Ms. Clause.

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Oh btw...I have a report on the new set of Elixirs I bought.

Like I said yesterday...I went to Guitar Center and picked up a set of the Phosphur Bronze Nanoweb Elixers in light gauge (12-53). I slapped them on my Greg Bennett Dreadnought as soon as I got home. I strung up...tuned...played. My initial reaction was very positive. (those things are bright!!!), but what got my attention was that the strings have that really thin coating on them and it makes them really smooth...you can tell right off the bat. The sound is still very bright but you don't get a harsh string rubbing sound when you're moving up and down the fretboard. And you just know that nothing is going to stick to those strings (ie. gunk). I guess thats the whole idea behind the Elixirs. Now if these sound the same a couple of months from now I will really be impressed. I'm thinking as long as I don't scratch off the invisible coating on the strings I should be ok. I wonder how they'll hold up underneath near the fret wire though? Only time will tell...but so far THUMBS UP.

Tim
December 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Tone,

Make sure to keep track of the time you spend playing, sliding and bending them strings.

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I will. I'm hoping to post a full endorsement of them here if they do in fact last 2 to 3 months!

Bigbear
December 7th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Fender Phosperous Bronze sound superb on my fathers Hummingbird, hes had them since June and they still sound bright and full... give them a try.

Tone2TheBone
December 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM
...........only 2 weeks I know but the Elixirs dominate.....still.......

tremoloman
January 1st, 2006, 11:28 PM
I've been using Martin Marquis on my Ovation Balladeer 12-string for the past 1½ years. They last a long time and have a wonderful sound.

I'm going to give the Elixirs a go the next time around to make a comparison. I'll let you all know how I make out when the time comes. :)

r_a_smith3530
February 12th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I haven't tried the Elixir's myself, but my friend wasn't all that impressed. I've been using Ernie Ball Earthwoods for several years now, and haven't yet found a reason to change to another brand.

I do a lot of bending, and I'd imagine that the coated strings wouldn't keep their coating for long around me!

Anyway, check out Earthwoods.

Tim
March 20th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I pulled the trigger on a set of Phosphor Bronze Elixirs. Light gauge, 12-53 ......

Tone - I was wondering how those Phosphor Bronze Elixirs were coming along. Have you noticed any wear on them yet? How much playing time do you have on them so far? As soon as the strings I have on my acoustic need changing I may try the Phosphor Bronze Elixirs.

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Timster - Nope no wear at all. I play my acoustic as much as I do my electrics. They sound and play like they're brand new. Deep tones and bright highs. Ahhhhhhhhh. They don't feel worn on the bottom at the frets either. Highly recommendable. *thumbs up*

Tone2TheBone
March 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Ok it's been over 3 months with the same set of Elixirs and the guitar plays and sounds as great as the day I put them on. I also put a custom light set of the Phosphor Bronze Nanowebs on my daughter's Sigma Martin and yowza it sounds gooood. I'm expecting the same longevity with this set as well. 3 months might not seem all that long to most of you but if you play your guitars A LOT you'll notice the degredation of sound from your strings after awhile...and for me it's usually 2 months of daily playing. My strings get dented and stretched and sound like crap after awhile...and I have dry hands. I'd brag about other sets too if they sounded as good as this for 3 months but I'm really partial to the tone these strings provide. At least for me anyway. *still holding up his thumbs*

MPsound
March 7th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I have the Elixer Polyweb on my acoustic now. The coating is very thick, making the strings nice a smooth with I liked at first. Definitely not as bright sounding as non-coated strings, but I liked the feel for the trade-off in brightness, and grew to like the warmer sound (seemed a good combination with the Rosewood back and sides). However the coating started to fray very quickly on just one string, within a few weeks of limited playing. A couple others are staring to show significant wear as well, but just in the last month or so. They have been on for 4 months now, but with relatively limited play (maybe a couple hours a few times a week) – as I began to play with the electrics much more. :R :DR

Even still I think I’d try the Elixer Nanowebs next time as well with the lighter coating. I gave my brother some EXPs that he seems to like – they were really bright sounding to me when we put them on his acoustic, but then again I became used to the more mellow Polywebs. I know people complain about breaking Elixers, but I have not and certainly I have played very hard on a number of occasions. Definitely worth a try.

scorona
March 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I've tried other strings, but keep going back to Elixir Nanoweb custom lights. They sound great on my Taylor 310ce and last much longer. I just purchased a set of the phosphor bronze Elixir Nanos because I read somewhere that they are not quite as bright. Hope to get them on and give them a try soon.

Tone2TheBone
March 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I've tried other strings, but keep going back to Elixir Nanoweb custom lights. They sound great on my Taylor 310ce and last much longer. I just purchased a set of the phosphor bronze Elixir Nanos because I read somewhere that they are not quite as bright. Hope to get them on and give them a try soon.

Thats what I put on the Sigma Martin...the PBNWs. I thought they were supposed to be brighter? I love Elixirs.

scorona
March 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Thats what I put on the Sigma Martin...the PBNWs. I thought they were supposed to be brighter? I love Elixirs.

I love Elixirs too, they're great strings. From the posts I've read at some other forums, the concensus seems to be that PBs are a little warmer than the standard 80/20 Elixirs. I think everyone's ears (and opinions) are bit different. Here are a couple of sample threads over at the acoustic guitar forum re: Elixer PBs.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92221
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87580

After I get around to trying mine out (hopefully this weekend), I'll post my opinion.

scorona
March 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Finally got around to trying the Elixir PBNWs and they definitely sound a little warmer on my guitar than the Elixir 80/20 NWs. They're still bright, just a little warmer. Great strings.

tot_Ou_tard
March 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
This is a very good question to ask. I have been looking for the same quality in acoustic strings. Although in my case, cost is an issue. But then strings on my acoustic last about 4 months. I have been finger pickin" them here more than I normally do. I am trying to get these appendages to get some finger pickin" memory in them.
From what I hear, if you pick'em with a chicken you can get some nice squawking tones.

I wish I had an acoustic, so I don't know. Did you check out Snake Oil Strings?

http://www.sobstrings.biz/strings_af.htm